1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony's NW-HD! and Atrac

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Stahlhart!, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey!

I'm just about to get my nw-hd1 send what I'm really looking for, but I've never worked with Atrac before and have no clue what format I should use to convert my mp3s with the same quality level. I have my whole mp3 collection in 160kbit/s. Does anyone know what would be the best rate to convert?

And second: I read in a thread before that the firmware update for sony to play mp3s is available now? Does anyone have a link to the firmware cause I couldn't find it yet?

THX for helpin me :thumbsup:

2. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  3. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i have read you can only update the firmware at a Sony Centre store or send it to Sony. However, there is a cost of £20.

As this is the difference in cost between the NW-HD1 and the NW-HD3 it may be worth buying the NW-HD3.

4. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sofar! mp3 playback wouldn't be the reason to choose but it would be a bonus. I'm getting my nw-hd1 anyways.
    But what's with Atrac, can anybody tell me what bitrate of Atrac or Atrac plus would be the best choice for my 160kbit/s mp3s???

THX

5. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ATRAC3plus 256kbps on NW-HD3, it rocks :D !!!

6. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those 256 kbps on atrac are from a ripped cd, aren´t they? But if you convert a 192 kbps (for example) mp3 on atrac3 plus which rate fits better

does it worth to convert 192 kbps on 256 kbps atrac3? it doesn´t make sense, does it?

the fact is that people has his albums in different rates....

7. Donneh

Donneh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not want to swap my HD1 for a HD3, they are (albiet slightly) bulkier, and they are uglier too.

The MP3 upgrade is available right now, I am sending mine away this week, fingers crossed it will not come back with any "mysterious" scratches ...

Here's the link - http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/NWHDD/nwHDD.asp?l=en

8. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality of 192kbps mp3 is poor than ATRAC3plus 256kbps, so it doesn't make sense.