Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony's new Japanese Models eg HX90 - HDMI, 250GB HDD, EPG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howardmg, Oct 11, 2004.

1. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like others on this forum I'd be keen on the Sony HX900 if it wasn't for its shortcomings, particularly no HDD playlist and a maximum of 8 timer recordings.

Member grumpy42 pointed out last week that the HX90 version in Japan has a 250GB HDD, HDMI, HDD playlists, EPG. And a maximum of 30 timer recordings!

I've found a Japanese supplier that will ship for $1080 and $150 freight (!) and I guess there will be duty on top. I've also asked whether there's a manual in english and waiting for a reply.

But I presume there will be compatibility issues in using this in the UK? Does anyone here have any experience in using a Japanese model in the UK?

Probably over my budget anyway but would be interested to know.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

You may need a transformer or converter depeding upon the voltage they use in Japan. At the very least they don't use a three pin plug like ours so you will need some sort of converter. The player maybe multi voltage though.

The machine may only record in NTSC but the analogue tuner maybe incompatible with the UK terristial transmissions?

New Japanese HDD/DVD recorders has been appearing with digital copy protection which only allows you to make one recording of a DVD-R and you have to buy specific DVD-R's. I think there is an article on this in HCC magazine this month which will tell you all the technical details.

You will find that most of the player menus are in Japanese and therefore difficult to program and setup unless you can read Japanese.

3. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feeback - don't think I'm brave enough to go for this model (unfortunately)