Sony's Flagship, Bravia HX923, 3D Local Dimming LED TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Sony Repair Service collected the tv? Inside Service in Stockholm?

Considering how common the crease problem seems to be, I'd opt for a serviced tv so I'd know for sure the problem had been taken care of. With a replacement you obviously risk having to do the procedure all over again...

Hi pallepaf,

Yes, Inside Service in Solna, Stockholm. I've had no previous dealings with them so I'm not sure what will really come out of this. To add insult to injury, the TV was only sent in a plastic wrap since I was naïve enough to discard the box, so it leaves me a bit concerned.

I understand your point and have been contemplating it, however, as I see it, a product so early in its lifespan should not have to undergo repairing. While I do not doubt their skill and expertise, this is an expensive, brand new TV. Call this unfounded paranoia, but it would give me peace of mind if they just exchanged it for a new one from the later batches. This time, I'll certainly check for the lines on the spot before taking it back. Really, the only thing wrong with this television are those lines, I can live with the somewhat excessive blooming and minor flashlightning.

I'm eagerly awaiting all the people getting their sets delivered on Monday.

The problem I have is, coming from a CRT, I have nothing to compare this to.

The biggest problems seem to be the off angle blooming and the slight flash lighting in the bottom corners. I know blooming is inherent in full backlight LED sets. I'm just not sure how noticeable it should be.

Other than that the picture seems pretty good, but again, I have nothing to compare it too.

@kourosh - have you got any comment on these problems? have you received any HX923 stock to see if you have similar problems?

Is flash lighting in the bottom corners as common a problem as the crease issue or are some sets free from it?

In the short time I used mine, I didn't notice any flashlighting at all, just the off angle blooming and crease, although this TV has deeper blacks than my x4500 the blooming is much more severe, funnily though if you turn off Local dimming the uniformity of the screen was brilliant, so I am already maybe considering the hx823 depending on what the reviews are like.

I really don't think this TV should have blooming as bad as it does, it just can't be right otherwise you can only really watch this tv from head on in the dark, which just doesn't seem right ? add that to the crease issue and it had to be returned.

I really do hope sony sort this issue out as the panel is obviously really good at off angle contrast and had amazing detail.

At last, my 46HX923 has shipped!

I'm not too worried about reports of creasing and so on, as whatever state it's in it's got to be better than my faulty 40X3500, which has been exhibiting the faults described here since mid-December, and as such takes nearly 30 minutes to 'warm up'.

Assuming the carrier we use for staff sales doesn't screw up, should be with me on Tuesday.

Dean

Guys,

I'm happy to say that I have received my 55HX923 and would like to say that the quality of this TV is out of this world. Good thing I didn't buy the D8000.
One thing that is concerning me, I get this static sound from the energy switch on the sid of the TV. Is anyone else getting this and have you managed to resolve it. Thanks

Guys,

I'm happy to say that I have received my 55HX923 and would like to say that the quality of this TV is out of this world. Good thing I didn't buy the D8000.
One thing that is concerning me, I get this static sound from the energy switch on the sid of the TV. Is anyone else getting this and have you managed to resolve it. Thanks

I'm glad you are liking the picture. Obviously I'd like to know what you think of off angle viewing in a dark room.

As for the static sound I can't hear anything from my TV. I'm used to hearing the very high pitched noise from a CRT but with this new set if I close my eyes I can't tell if it's on or not. (With the sound muted of course)

I'm glad you are liking the picture. Obviously I'd like to know what you think of off angle viewing in a dark room.

As for the static sound I can't hear anything from my TV. I'm used to hearing the very high pitched noise from a CRT but with this new set if I close my eyes I can't tell if it's on or not. (With the sound muted of course)
My sitting arrangement is facing the TV straight, so as far as I can tell it looks all good. I did watch movies and play games in the dark and can confirm it still looks good. I think my views might be one way but have to say from coming from a 50" Samsung HD ready TV the quality on my Sony is amazing.

p.s. has anyone tried playing COD: Black Ops in 3d yet?

Any of you guys lucky enough to have already received your HX923s tried out the recording feature yet? If I remember correctly you can record TV shows directly to an external hard disc. Anyone have anymore info about this? Can you record straight to a USB thumb drive? Can you set up future recordings or do you have to be watching the TV when you want to record?

Thanks in advance!

My 46hx923 arrived in my local Sony centre on Friday, and I picked it up Saturday.

Excellent picture so far, and I have still to play with the settings. Can't see any of the usual problems listed above - but I will be watching out for them!

What I am impressed with is the features on the TV - out of this world!

I doubt many people will beat the deal I got! Especially as mine turned up with a free sound bar! Did anyone else get one of these?

Last edited:
@kourosh

Out of pure interest, what is the average dealer markup on these TVs, i.e. what is the absolute cheapest you could possibly get one for yourself including any trade discount you can possibly get?

Since this is the Asia-Pacific version of the tv, maybe the reason there is no crease is that the tv is manufactured somewhere else than the EU-model. If so, that might support the German theory of an initial, faulty batch over here in Europe.

The Asia-Pacific HX925 is made in Malaysia. I have noticed that there is 'vertical banding' so to speak based on the backlight - it may just be that the white need calibrating though as its only noticable on whiter/brighter backgrounds. Just to stress - this is not noticeable on general viewing :thumbsup:

Blooming is there but acceptable - more dialling in required though. Watched Dark Knight with some mates in the weekend and there were no complaints in a dark room!

I have two (single) stuck pixels at different places but from my viewing distance it is not noticeable so I'm not kicking a fuss about it (I only noticed them from cleaning the screen).

I've played a little Black Ops in 3D, but too much lag for online play so will have to check it out in single player. Also have Crysis 2 which I will check out single player in 3D.

Just bought Tron 3D (which I have not seen at the movies), so will watch that and see if I notice any unacceptable Xtalk (I'm not fussed if there's a little on subtitles!).

Any other awesome 3D movies out there which are commercially available to the public (i.e. not Avatar)?

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Have followed this thread with interest having ordered my 46" 923 in mid April. Well the TV arrived on Saturday and having spent a couple of a days with it I thought I would share my initial thoughts as a novice - at this stage I have just viewed 'out of the box' but hope to play around with the settings later in the week.

By way of background I live just north of Manchester so this is a UK spec TV and I am moving up from a HX703 bought just over a year ago.

I spent some considerable time looking for any creases on Saturday trying all the tips given on this thread - dark room, solid colour on the screen etc etc.. I am delighted to advise that I don't have a crease anywhere. Am I the lucky one or are those with the crease the unlucky ones??

I have since watched a couple of films in HD, a couple of programmes from Sky 3D as well as a bit of SD content, a pretty good mix of programmes to base my initial views on. My overall impression is that I am blown away by this TV, the highlights are the black level which is far superior to my 703 and the HD picture is out of this world. There is a noticeable improvement in SD quality also but not massive. Having read the reviews about the TV the biggest surprise is 3D, it is amazing!! I have seen no crosstalk just a totally realistic 3D picture - watched Kylie last night and could have been at the concert.

Issues?? Well no TV is perfect and I did see some blooming during the credits of Prince of Persia - these are slow moving white credits on a black background and it seemed more a result of the rest of the screen being so black. I have seen no evidence of blooming during any other programmes with clear definition between dark and light parts of the screen.

I know a few of you who have yet to receive this TV are concerned about the problem reported on this thread so I hope my initial views have put your minds at rest a bit, not all these TV's appear to be faulty. I hope I'm not the exception to the rule.

By the way I'm not a plant who works for Sony's PR department but I am delighted with the TV.

Well I am both happy and annoyed that some of you have recieved tvs without excessive blooming and creases, so it does look like there are quality control issues, I am still returning mine as I dont want a repaired one nor do I want the hassle of trying to persuade someone that its broken.

I will be following this thread today as many of you should be recieving this tv, and will be interested in seeing who recieves a good one. Was this the real reason for delaying the shipping ?

Last edited:
My 55 incher arrived 9:00 AM this morning. Stuck at work. Going to be a long, long, long day.

P.S Also came with mono stand apparently according to her in doors.

Can anyone give me the direct sony email address that they sent an email to as I want to send one saying that I am disatisfied with the Tv and that is the reason I am sending it back, however if I was to be guaranteed one which was good then I would happily pay for it.

i did it via the sony website...you basically have to register then use the support pages. on there is a webform to fill in. that's how i sent the email. sadly with the webform there is no To: address you just submit the form.

parki14 said:
Hi Guys

Have followed this thread with interest having ordered my 46" 923 in mid April. Well the TV arrived on Saturday and having spent a couple of a days with it I thought I would share my initial thoughts as a novice - at this stage I have just viewed 'out of the box' but hope to play around with the settings later in the week.

By way of background I live just north of Manchester so this is a UK spec TV and I am moving up from a HX703 bought just over a year ago.

I spent some considerable time looking for any creases on Saturday trying all the tips given on this thread - dark room, solid colour on the screen etc etc.. I am delighted to advise that I don't have a crease anywhere. Am I the lucky one or are those with the crease the unlucky ones??

I have since watched a couple of films in HD, a couple of programmes from Sky 3D as well as a bit of SD content, a pretty good mix of programmes to base my initial views on. My overall impression is that I am blown away by this TV, the highlights are the black level which is far superior to my 703 and the HD picture is out of this world. There is a noticeable improvement in SD quality also but not massive. Having read the reviews about the TV the biggest surprise is 3D, it is amazing!! I have seen no crosstalk just a totally realistic 3D picture - watched Kylie last night and could have been at the concert.

Issues?? Well no TV is perfect and I did see some blooming during the credits of Prince of Persia - these are slow moving white credits on a black background and it seemed more a result of the rest of the screen being so black. I have seen no evidence of blooming during any other programmes with clear definition between dark and light parts of the screen.

I know a few of you who have yet to receive this TV are concerned about the problem reported on this thread so I hope my initial views have put your minds at rest a bit, not all these TV's appear to be faulty. I hope I'm not the exception to the rule.

By the way I'm not a plant who works for Sony's PR department but I am delighted with the TV.

Thanks parki - good to hear at least some are coming through without the issues experienced by others!!

Also thanks for the general feedback, feeling a bit more positive about my pre-order now...my Sony centre never even acknowledged or replied to my email about quality concerns of my soon to be delivered TV...nice :(

sammy20v said:
Well I am both happy and annoyed that some of you have recieved tvs without excessive blooming and creases, so it does look like there are quality control issues, I am still returning mine as I dont want a repaired one nor do I want the hassle of trying to persuade someone that its broken.

I will be following this thread today as many of you should be recieving this tv, and will be interested in seeing who recieves a good one. Was this the real reason for delaying the shipping ?

Vey cynical, but wonder if the ones with the free stand are the ones without problems and the ones without the free stand are the early ones that went out that have the problems - maybe the free stand is to compensate the later delivery while they fixed the production problem??? We will probably never know, but I like that theory ;)

Can anyone give me the direct sony email address that they sent an email to as I want to send one saying that I am disatisfied with the Tv and that is the reason I am sending it back, however if I was to be guaranteed one which was good then I would happily pay for it.
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. If I knew I could get a better one I would return it. So I'm waiting to see what other people say about their sets.

The three issues I have are...

The crease (although it's not noticeable in normal viewing you have to look for it)

Blooming (Which may be normal)

Flashlighting in the bottom corners. (Visible during dark scenes and on the black bars of movies.)

Oh and for anyone who wants to look for the crease, if you dare, I found the best way to see it was to go to the home menu screen and then look at the bottom corners at an angle.

I'd be very interested if there are people finding that they don't have a crease at all.

Ok I have emailed the following to Sony

Hello

I recently received a new Hx923 and, having read glowing reviews of this model, was disappointed with the quality.

There were two significant issues. Firstly there is a visible line down each side of the screen and secondly there is significant blooming. Any light object is surrounded by a large pale halo, especially when watching even slightly off angle.

Information on internet forums was that many others were experiencing the same issues so I assumed that this was just how this model was and called to return it (collection arranged for this Friday)

However I am now seeing reports from people who are receiving perfect televisions with the picture quality you would expect from Sony’s flagship model.

Are there any known issues with particular production batches? If so I would very much like to have this TV, however if the quality issues I experienced are global to this model I would rather not.

Please advise me of how best to proceed as obviously having paid the pre-order price of £2499 I would not now wish to find myself paying £2999 to get the same TV.

Many thanks

Samuel Pollock

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom