1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonypc9+xp.no Firewire Or Vid Card.help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by MCBALEMAN, Mar 29, 2005.

1. MCBALEMAN

MCBALEMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please Can U Help. I Have A Sony Pc9 And Windows Xp. I Have No Firewire And No Vid Cap Card. What Do I Need To Buy To Get Basic Vid Editing Up And Running .many Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To capture your video to the PC all you need is a very basic firewire (aka ieee1394, iLink, DV port) card that should cost around £10 online and that should also include a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

Other than that you will need to find Movie Maker that is part of the XP install for capture and editing your footage. If you need help with useing the software then take a look Here. This site should tell you everything you need to know about useing and problem shooting with Movie Maker.

All that remains now is to decide on what you want to do with the edited footage. If you let us know what you want to do and what hardware & software you have then we can advise you on where to go from here.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. MCBALEMAN

MCBALEMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do i not need a vic capture card as well as the firewire?do u have any makes u could suggest as i want to order it now

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Your camcorder is digital and therefore the only connection that you need to get the video & audio onto the PC is firewire. If you do need analogue capture for connecting say a VCR to the PC then and only then will you need an analogue capture card.

I have always recommended the cheap firewire card from ebuyer as it is cheap at £8, but some others have reported a few problems with it and ebuyers returns are a real pain. If yoiu want to try it then it can be found Here. Otherwise just do a quick search on the internet and go for anything you find at a price you are willing to pay. There are no advantages of specific makes as firewire is a very strict set of standards that all these cards must meet to be labelled as firewire/ieee1394. Certainly don't pay over £20 as you would in somewhere like PC World etc.

Mark.

5. MCBALEMAN

MCBALEMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking on ebuyer at the more expensive alternatives and some seem to have usb 2 connectiviy which should help me as i need some 2.0 usb ports for my ipods etc..is this a good ideas or should u not mix them..i was looking at

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60615

im happy to pay more for quality 20 or £50 is irrelevant to me if theres a better chance of it working

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The card you have linked to is a PCMCIA card for plugging in to a laptop. Is your PC a laptop or desktop?

USB2.0 & firewire on the same card should cause no problems, so if both are needed then IMO you may as well get the combined card. If your PC is a desktop then This is the card you need.

Mark.

7. MCBALEMAN

MCBALEMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Have Ordered The Card U Suggested So Will Be Back Im Sure In A Few Days...many Thanks Again..help Appreciated