SonyKDF E50A12U help for ghosting check 60hz

Phoned sony repair centre,blah,blah,they ONLY wanted to take my 360 off me to test tv in thei workshop.I basically told them noway,they should have equipment of their own that outputs a 60hz feed.Finally got them to send an engineer to visit tuesday,i can see this being an overdrawn episode.................

Aye tell me about it :suicide: :rotfl: Ive hardly used this LG loaner as I have to get in and out of bed to switch stuff (disabled so basically an impossibility when your bedridden like this) so today Currys guy came out and tried 2 remotes. It worked for about 1min then the television died on him :rolleyes He wanted to leave the telly but I refused to take responsibility for it so hes took it back (why would I want a faulty television what I cant watch as a loaner!). Ive now requested a refund to him and he's getting the manager to ring us back (fingers crossed!) after 4pm so I can start again as we where quite happy until we reliased that they hadnt even checked the loan television for faults either :mad: :thumbsdow

For yourself I would just take some pictures of it doing it to replicate it. Luckily I had an engineer witness mine inhome which is all you would need as well and wrote down in a report. If its in the first 6months its down to them to say it hasnt got a fault and prove it and like myself after 6months its down to me.

Went into the store today and still nothing has happened so its been wrote off and I got a refund instead. Going to put extra and buy a 1080p Sharp LC-46XD1E (LC46XDE) 46" LCD TV next month instead now.

The 3LCD was good when it worked, its just a shame it seems to be disapearing from stores.....oh well!

Okey cokey heres a good update for you :D Just got a phonecall from Mastercare to say the television had just been recieved today (this is 1week from when it was susposed to have been picked up on the Tuesday but they came the Thursday) and they would contact me back when they have any news! They didnt know what to say when I told them Id already got a refund and just asked for the branch I went to. I find this scarey as it looks like I could have been waiting 5weeks + to have got this sorted with DSG. Not good aftersales when they say 2working days instore :nono: :rotfl:

Bah, my TV (same model) has got the same problem with all 60Hz signals, but with a green shadow (which is still green if I only plug in the luminance component cable). I've had the Sony designated repair people coming and going with various parts for over a month, and then yesterday I got a call from them to tell me that they couldn't do anything about it... Of course, Sony's customer service centre isn't available at the weekend, grrrr! :mad:

Oh yeah, just so you know, it's not just a PAL 60 fault as a true NTSC signal causes the same problem.

If you look back thru my posts you will see that I get a fault on 60hz via anything other than PC connection. I used Xbox360 on PAL 720p and a upscaled dvd player (Samsung 850) in NTSC 60hz and got the ghosting. In the end I just got a refund and am now going to get the new Sharp LCD 52XD1E or 46" instead as I was very disapointed with Sonys service (I could have been tempted by the SXRD until I reliased they cant even fix a fault like this one).

Looks like I have the same problem! I noticed it first with my Xbox but on further investigation, and using the menu graphic as a test, the problem shows on every input except SCART and normal TV. It's getting worse by the day!

This happens on every input except SCART & normal TV regardless of what is or is not connected. i.e. if I switch to component, even if I don't have anything connected the problem is still there.

TV Example 1.jpg

And this is when switched to SCART input. Much nicer!

TV Example 2.jpg

I can see a few weeks of trauma looming :eek:

Can someone please explain how we are to test this? I have an XBOX claasic that is modded so can use that to output whatever is required. Let me know and I'll test on the 2010 model, see if its been fixed. Currently have DVD connected by component as well that can output 60HZ as well I think.

To test it just use anything in 60hz (apart from VGA with PC). A lot of DVD players do Pal 50hz so you wouldnt notice it but Xbox1 via 60hz you should be able to spot it. Easiest way for me was 360 via component/vga at any rez at 60hz and dvd player upscaled to any rez at 60hz via hdmi.

Mine didnt do it from the start but I noticed it the day Table Tennnis came out with a head image to the left and it steadily got worse and went a red colour. The easiest way to check with the 3LCD at 60hz is to put your menu on for settings and if the letters are out then you have the fault.

The fault wasn't present when I first bought the TV, otherwise it would have gone straight back to the shop. It was fine for about six months, then the shadows came to haunt me :(

Sony gave me a call yesterday asking me to confirm that it was just a problem when the Xbox 360 was connected... HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THEM THAT IT'S A 60Hz SIGNAL PROBLEM?!?!?! sigh... They actually sounded surprised when I told them (yet again) that it does it when connected to my SONY PS2 and my SONY vcr!!! :mad:

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THEM THAT IT'S A 60Hz SIGNAL PROBLEM?!?!?!
I am not sure it is a 60hz signal problem. I disconnected everything so that there was no signal going into any input. Even with just a blank screen, the menu graphic/volume graphic still exhibited the problem (as per my images) on all AV Inputs other than SCART.

It seems therefore to be a more fundamental display issue..?

It's not the same problem that I have then. Saying that, once it has synced to 60Hz I can disconnect the inputs and the shadowing will remain until I connect a 50Hz input.
Actually you could be right there because when I switched on last night, before switching on the 360 on, there was no shadowing. So looks like it is a 60hz problem after all....

What happen if you connected the xbox360 and the sony with vga cable, not with composit cable ? I have'nt vga cable, but i have ghosting sony 3lcd too.
Please try it, i am very curious.

What happen if you connected the xbox360 and the sony with vga cable, not with composit cable ? I have'nt vga cable, but i have ghosting sony 3lcd too.
Please try it, i am very curious.

I've tested this using composite, component and VGA inputs. All resulted in ghosting.

The input wont make any difference it will just do it at 60hz if its the same fault as mine (I use tellys for import consoles at 60hz and it did it on PS2 etc.. as well). I also got intermitent white ghosting on freeview at 50hz but not enough for the engineer to be there. 60hz as you see from pics on first page where obvious from the start

Does the 2010 have this problem?

If anyone has this problem with their hdtv you will need a new optical block to fix it.

I had to give up my hdtv for 3 weeks while they tried to fix it and it was only until a sony engineer fitted a new optical block that the problem went away.

It is a 60hz ghosting problem using component or the hdmi connections on this make of hdtv.

If anyone has this problem with their hdtv you will need a new optical block to fix it.
What does fitting a new optical block involve? Is this something an engineer can do on a call out? If so, I'll tell them what the problem is and give them a print out of this thread to be sure!

I wonder if this is a design issue or just faulty parts fitted in earlier models?

What does fitting a new optical block involve? Is this something an engineer can do on a call out? If so, I'll tell them what the problem is and give them a print out of this thread to be sure!

I wonder if this is a design issue or just faulty parts fitted in earlier models?

Well my hdtv was under warrenty so the place where i purchased the hdtv came and picked it up and the sony engineer came along with the part/s and fixed it.

After 3 painfull weeks, watching 21" CRT, i got my Sony back from repair center :clap:. They changed Optical Block, and now shadows are gone. This screen is huge :eek: after i got used to that little "thingy" in the middle of my home theater. Feels like i bought new TV again :D. Maybe i'll put this on closet for couple of days every now and then, and after that watching movies is even more enjoyable :thumbsup:.

Now after Optical Block change, colors are little bit red (more on the left side of the screen) and picture tilted to the left little bit :mad:. I have to call them back to fix these asap. It's not that big problem, but it bothers me. I also asked about getting sharpening totally disabled, and repair man promised to ask someone knowledgeable about that, but said that it might be impossible. I'll let you all know, if i get any information.

Hopefully this optical block will last little bit longer than it did before. I bought this TV last november and i propably used it over 4000 hrs. This is one of first five sets in Finland.

Glad to hear your TV got sorted, please keep us informed of progress, especially with any sharpness hack

Had same problem with my set and noticed it on the 360 input (like most other people). Phoned store I got it from ( Robert Whyte in Glasgow) and they said they'd contact Sony for me and that this was a problem which is becoming more prevalent. Seems they are getting it a lot on PS2 input as well and he confirmed it wasn't a 360 problem at all..

Waiting for call back tomorrow to see what the plan is..will keep you guys posted...we're all in this together...:thumbsup:

Looks like the KDF-E42A12U has the same problem. Just hooked up media centre PC via Component, get pink/magenta ghosting at 720p/60 and 1080i/60. DVD player at 575 on same input is fine. VGA input is fine at 1024/768@60. Only had this about 2 months, but was ex-display from store, so probably well run-in!

Edit: Just bought a DVI-HDMI cable, 1080i/50 works perfect, 720p/60 still ghosting over HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom