• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sonykd49xf9002 price drop and new Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8196BU

AV Monkey

So RS have the 49" xf9002 down to £850. Also a new item the Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8196BU now available. £1050 no local dimmer edge lit. Is this correct?

Dodgexander

So RS have the 49" xf9002 down to £850. Also a new item the Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8196BU now available. £1050 no local dimmer edge lit. Is this correct?
New TVs when released cost usually 50% more than they are worth. Look at the XF80 Sony for a comparable 2018 model to the XG81 and you can see how much cheaper it is.

AV Monkey

Do you think the xf9005 will drop much more in the next couple of months?. How can you price an inferior tv more than a superior one. What a joke.

AV Monkey

Rs flash sale this weekend. Now another £30 off. Now is this the time to buy?. Im just about to get my coat on.

AV Monkey

Is this the best 49" tv for my ps4 Pro? And films etc?

AV Monkey

Yes head on less than 2 metres away.

Analysis

Banned
Yes head on less than 2 metres away.

1.03m for a 55" for UHD from FHD, so for a 49" it's even closer, can you go bigger?.

You might find a 49" a bit too small once you've got it at home, plus the XF90 might be a bit overkill for your content needs, great for HDR though, you could look at the NU8000 which is around £700 for the 55", failing that the U7A.

AV Monkey

If been thinking about this for ages. I think 55 would be too big. Its a small viewing space. Its like 2metres by wall to wall. Ive looked at guides and 49" looks to bridge the 1080p uhd viewing distance just. But if I dont get the sony id have no choice but go 55".

Analysis

Banned
Ive looked at guides and 49" looks to bridge the 1080p uhd viewing distance just.

Yeah it's difficult to fit a 55" into certain living spaces but it's always best to go as big as you can when buying, there's too many guides out there which give differing and sometimes confusing opinions for size v distance, the one I've quoted is Retina which is defined by Apple / Steve Jobs and THX Cinema which is what the hardcore AV enthusiasts go by.

AV Monkey

Is the sony kd49xf8796 120hz and VA if I went 49"?

AV Monkey

So in theory the kd8796 is better than the samsung N8000 at this size?

Analysis

Banned
So in theory the kd8796 is better than the samsung N8000 at this size?

At 49" it's better as it's got a 120hz native panel.

VRR as it stands and this goes for the 120hz models including the NU8000, QLED series e.g Q9FN it's only rated for up to 48hz- 60hz @ 4k content, then 48-120hz at 1080P. As Dodge has said it's sometimes better to take a hit on resolution to maintain framerate as the hardware for consoles really isn't up to the task.

I've seen this for myself with the One X on certain titles when it tries to push 4K at 60FPS, Halo 5 really suffers in certain scenarios and when the framerate drops, it really drops, also in Destiny 2 it's still an issue even running a game of an SSD.

For 4K then stuttering and tearing occurs and then after this the benefits are minimal to non-existent, this could be related to the Pseudo implication of HDMI 2.1 features currently being used by Samsung and also Microsoft with the One X.

Games should be optimized anyhow for these kinds of situations.

Linus tested this over on Linus Tech Tips for the Q9F just recently.

Personally I would always go with a higher refresh rate over VRR as it stands now as it's only supported by certain titles currently, as is the case with HDR.

I do see this becoming more mainstream as we move forward when the next generation of consoles drops, we are essentially get features from the incubator that is the PC gaming scene over to console.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom