SonyGRX3 vs Philips DVDR80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by manhar, Apr 28, 2004.

1. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why is it that theSony GRX3 wont record in 16:9 format with +RW media when the Philips DVD80 is able to do so?
    This is a major limitation for the Sony.

2. jnunn

jnunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the an issue only with the +RW media or will it record 16:9 on the other two formats - -RW and R?

3. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The GX3 wont record 16:9 with +RW and it will only record in 16:9 with -R/RW as long as the recording isn't over 2 hours long,or something like that.

4. jnunn

jnunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you sent a message to Sony asking for assistance. The response from the support web site takes about 24hrs or so.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've never had that problem with my GX3. I always use -R/RW, in LP (3 hour) mode, and have never noticed a recording in the wrong format. Not being funny, but are you sure it's not a setting which needs checking? I can't even think of a reason why any recordings over 3 hours would not record in 16:9. :confused:

6. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might be wrong but check the manual,there are quite a few quirks when you read it like no 16:9 with +RW and there is definetley a limit on how much you can record in 16:9 with -RW's just not sure what it is.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Are you talking about recording from a DigiBox, or from an analogue terrestrial signal? If from an analogue signal, not all programs are broadcast in 16:9 (in fact, very few are), so you're not going to get a true 16:9 playback. Just looking thorugh the manual now.

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, it seems you are correct. I still don't quite get it, but here's what the manual says:

● Rec Screen Size
    Sets the picture size of the program to be recorded.

• 4:3 (default): Sets the picture size to 4:3
    • 16:9: Sets the picture size to 16:9 (wide mode)

This function works with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs (Video Mode), when the recodring mode is set to HQ, HSP, or SP (i.e. up to 2 hours). For all other recordings, the screen size if fixed at 4:3.

For DVD-RWs (VR Mode), the actual picture size is recorded regardless of the setting. For instance, if a 16:9 picture is received, the disc records the picture as 16:9 even if "Rec Screen Size" is set to 4:3.

For DVD+RWs, the screen size is fixed at 4:3.

I have to admit, I never knew that. How ridiculous! I still think that must just be for analogue recordings, because everything I record off my Freeview box always plays back in 16:9 widescreen. At least, I think it does - you've got me worried now!

9. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry!
    Have studied it myself at some lenght before so without being big headed I thought I was righ ;)
    Personally I dont record anything over 2 hours anyway so it isn't an issue for me and I only use -RW as the laptop doesn't read +RW.

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I don't know how it's working, but I'm watching a recording right now, recorded in the 3 hour (LP) mode, and it's definitely 16:9, because the TV says so, and it would be obvious if it was 4:3, as the TV would stretch the picture.

I hardly ever record anything without using the DigiBox, so maybe that's the answer. :confused: