Sony930 versus Denon3802

Oldi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After 2 dodgy VA555ES receivers I decided on a Denon3802 as an upgrade from a Sony930.This new amp does not seem as "powerful" as the Sony and less versatile in it's set up. I was given the option to exchange for a fixed 555, should I do it?

I have to admit that the denon is not as easy to set up, i made this change too, but once done the denon is in a different league to the sony.

Are you sure it is not as powerful, have you got a SPL meter to set it up to reference level ???

the sony at reference level sounds louder because it is being really pushed, where as the denon still has somthing left in it.

I could never listen to my old sony at the same sort of levels that i listen to the Denon at. But as you say at the same actual (say 75db) listening levels the sonys do SEEM louder than the denon, you are right.

In stereo mode a have tested the denon against a my quad77 amp and at the same levels the with a SPL meter the denon sounds louder than the quad.

I suppose it is maybe because I don't get asked to turn it down as before and seeing -8db makes me feel it is almost flat out.I liked the 2CH mode for CD etc and feel having to switch off the sub in DIRECT a bit of a compromise, so I wondered how much better than the 3802 and similar to the function of the 930 but better sounding is the va555?

I think you need to hear the 2 against each other.

I wouldnt swap my Denon for a Sony but that is my preference, depends on your room speakers etc.

try and get to listen to them both.

What problems did you have with the VA555ES? I've received mine yesterday and wondered if there was a common fault I should be looking out for.

Originally posted by Ged
seeing -8db makes me feel it is almost flat out.

I have a feeling the 3802 goes up to something like +20db, so -8db is nowhere near flat out. Just keep your finger on the volume button (if you dare:D )

andypearce, the problem was a ripple effect on s- video monitor out using s-video inputs for dvd and ? LD or TV.The VCR input/output was fine again on s-video but you loose the onscreen display.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom