1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony930 alsmot 5 year old, Trade to RS and ...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jwramsay, Aug 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I purchased my Sony 930 receiver in December 2000 with a 5 year warranty from Richer Sounds.

I could possibly trade it for 150 as its mint and I have the box, and RS are selling the Sony 790 for 249.

But ... Robert Whyle Ltd (Glasgow, nearby me) are selling the Sony 795 for 199. I reckon that I can get my 30 quid back from RS for the unused warranty and about 100 quid selling the Sony 930 privately, so thats 70 quid to upgrade.

I love the 930 and its faithfull, any point in upgrading to the 795, or should I wait to see what transpires regarding HDMI swithing amps.

Quite fancy switching to a Pioneer amp too, as my other gear is now Pioneer : 434 Plasma, 220 DVD-R, Freeview box.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 930 was a beautiful amp, much more so than the 940 that followed it. If you liked the sound Sonys were known for (bright, very forward) it was difficult to fault in its generation. However 5 years is a long time and things have most definitely moved on. A comparable modern amp will be better at processing, have the newer codecs, be 6.1/7.1 instead of just 5.1, and a new one can have a further warranty if thats what you like.
    When I replaced my Sony I wasn't sure until the moment I switched on its replacement (a Denon). Then I realised how much difference a few years of research and development makes!

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Phoned Robert Whyte Ltd Glasgow, no stock of Silver Sony 795s, and its been discontinued as the 895 (with DAB Tuner) is coming out.

Superfi have BLACK 795s for 179.99 no silver either.

Does anyone know of anywhere selling the Sony 795 in SILVER at a reasonable price.

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    RS price match so get them to match and then hit them with the trade in ;) just be sure NOT to mention the trade in before you ask about the price matching.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would think about spending a bit more on a replacement for the 930, i wouldn't consider the 795 an upgrade at all.

6. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As I have the Pioneer 434 Plasma, I'm now leaning towards the Pioneer 1015 amp, seems a great bit for kit and can be had online for 360 delivered.

It has this SR+ feature, that is used to connect to the Plasma, anyone know what this does exactly?

Also, does it upscale any other inputs to component, so that I can connect it using only component to my 434's Media Receiver?

Reviews seem thin on the ground, has anyone any experience of this amp?

7. KaptinK

KaptinK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the sound on the Sony STRDB900 compare to the 930 ? I am also considering upgrading/replacing. (My 930 has an annoying hum and the speakers don't click in properly at switch on !)

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    why not go for the yamaha 757? at 400 quid less the £150 you get it for £250,now that is a bargain.