1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony735 or Toshiba520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrewmellor, Mar 21, 2003.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    Made my shortlist now, I know the Sony is an older player ...but it has twin scarts to enable me to loop RGB digibox through and the reviews seem to give it a good write up although I seem to have seen conflicting reports as to whether it can play recorded media CDR, DVD-R etc which the Toshiba will happily live with and of course it's an up to date model with again excellent write ups.
    Can anybody add any personal experiences with these players regards problems or quality etc
    All comments welcomed
    cheers..Andrew

PS Can get hold of both multi-region around £200 new

2. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony 735 mine does not play CDR's. Not sure on DVD-R.

As far as quality goes I love it and have no reason to want to upgrade (Until an affordable recorder is available that is). It has never let me down and has never complained at any DVD's which were problems on other machines a year or two back.

Having said that I can only compare it with the Samsung 807 which I had for a while (crap) before buying the Sony 2 years ago.

3. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony 735 may play CR-RW as my older 725 plays them.
    Doesn't play DVD+RW though.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have the 735 player. It is a fantastic DVD player. It picks out detail that other players I have owned simply cannot. Gladiator looked like a different movie on this as I really saw the detail on the armour etc when watching this thru the Sony for the first time.

RGB loop through is a bonus. It only plays VCD . NO other media as far as I am aware.

However, even though it is 2 years old it is still a top DVD player than can be considered mid range.

regards,

Captain Benefit.

5. Delta31

Delta31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I can only echo the above comments about the quality of the sony. I have just bought the all singing-all dancing pioneer 656a, mainly with the intention of getting into the new audio formats.

I have to say that in my (honest) opinion the picture is not quite as good as the sony's. The definition and colour range just seem better on the sony. Not very technical I know but watch Monsters Inc, my favourite reference disk, and you will probably see what I mean.

I have no problem with philips cd-rw on the sony...they work fine. I haven't found cdr that work yet, but princo are 'supposed' to. I haven't really looked too hard into it as I like the re-useability of cd-rw.

Definitely still up there, and maybe beating, the best in terms of picture quality. Also still one of the classiest lookers too!

:)

6. Big Fat Troll

Big Fat Troll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony is a beautiful little DVD Player with an abundance of connections. The Toshiba is not just as good in my opinion but is still a great player.

7. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies.
    I'd sort of decided that the sony would probably be the best for me due to picture quality reviews put it up there, as do you :eek:), and the RGB scart loop is just such a bonus...plus I think it'd look great under my FQ75
    I'd seen techtronics selling them off at £233 modded so after trying to get hold of a used one decided that it might just be better to buy a new one at that price.....Imagine my face when I called on the way home yesterday to be told "We've literally just sold the last one sir"......Aaaaarrgghhh, trouble is it just makes me want one even more now.
    So after more help now..anyone know of anywhere still clearing these out...or have on in their spare room needing a good home?

please mail me or post here as I'm always having a look round
    andrew@aldercar.freeserve.co.uk

cheers...Andrew

8. Dolby

Dolby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Vivastar cd-r discs. These work fine on the sony. I buy them at a local market £10 fro 50 but i think Argos sell these.