1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony32fq75-remind me

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by auldendunn, Nov 3, 2002.

1. auldendunn

auldendunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please be patient-look at my handle.
    I know there is a lot about the Sony 32FQ75 on here.
    What is the current situation regards the faults?
    The set is on offer fer less than £1K, but obviously not such a bargain if scrolling bars/focus etc still exist.
    Also, could someone be kind enough and patient enough to describe the SB fault to someone with no technical knowledge - just a desire for as good a picture as possible.
    Last point-I'm a bit deaf and use subtitles a lot-do the faults include any on subtitles.
    Thank you

2. ZenmasteR

ZenmasteR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My friend works for sony center near london,

just his company alone has 6 of them tellies listed in their faulty stock dept.

btw it has been discontinued and updated with the FQ80..

another DRC model the "DX100 has been discontinued also!!!!

3. auldendunn

auldendunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ZenmasteR
    Good information - so faults still persist. I may have to reconsider.

4. Budville

Budville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure about that?!?! This TV still features Sony's latest Autumn/Winter Catalogue! So why would they feature a TV in a new catalogue and a month later discontinue it?

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Common practice, it helps shift end of line stock.
    Models almost out are often not included in first print run of a season also.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good idea.

7. ian2

ian2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony 32FQ75 two months ago.
    I live on the continent, and got it for a bargain of 1600 Euros.
    I was aware of the potential scrolling bar problem, but decided to take a chance anyway and see if I would be lucky.

I must say that for the first couple of weeks I thought that
    the picture was just magnificent when watching DVD's.
    I am using a direct RGB cable out of the DVD-player and the DRC100 mode on TV.
    I have an external 5.1 channel sound system, and usually turn the volume off from the TV. The sound on the TV is decent for a TV, but of course nothing compared to a decent 5.1 sound system with good speakers.

Having read a lot about the infamous vertical scrolling bar problem, I took an effort to find out if this particular set had it too. It does.
    Well, I can see it on DVD's when the picture is totally black (such as end credits of a movie) and I turn all the lights off. On usual DVD material, and having some lights on the room, it isn't really visible, so it doesn't bother me that much. If had never read about it, I probably wouldn't have ever noticed it myself.

More troubling is that after two months I have started to notice that the left center edge of the picture is going slightly out of focus. When the set was brand new, there certainly was no such problem.
    So it seems that this focusing problem is something that comes with aging. I hope it is not going to get any worse. So far it is slight enough not to bother that much. The left bottom isn't having focus problems, so subtitles are not affected.

Despite of these small problems, I still think the picture is very good.

8. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had three 32"fq75 and have negotiated with the supplier to finally exchange it for a Loewe. The second was the worst
    Problems include
    Scroling Bars
    Signal dropout
    AV crosstalk (sound leakage from terrestrial channels while watching sky or DVD's)
    I personally would never buy any Sony product again as I also had a Sony DVD player that also had to go back to the store for a modification

9. fidge

fidge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I love mine to bits! Not blessed with perfect eyes/ears. to me its a brilliant picture that at times can be breathtaking (like the bit in Shrek where they cross the lava pool on the bridge - wow!) TO MY EYES there are no problems yet. One thing might be relevant - I had a crosstalk problem when I bought a high end SCART and connected my Sony sky box. To cut a long story short, the problem was an earthing imcompatability. The people who made the cable (Philex Thor) got to the bottom of it though, and sent me a different cable - problem solved. They are good guys at Philex. It had nothing to do with the TV.

10. auldendunn

auldendunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.
    Thanks to those who replied. As you know I was undecided. However, I bit the bullet and ordered the 32FQ75 today. I got another £100 off! Come on, it's got to be a bargain at £895.
    Delivery Tuesday, so I'll keep you informed if you are interested. In the meantime I'm piling up the DVD's for the tests - AOTC, LOTR (2 for £25 at Sainsbury as reported elsewhere-thanks) and , of course, DVD PLATINUM.
    Thanks again folks, cheers.
    PS Glad a couple of you are happy with the set.

11. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where was this from?

12. auldendunn

auldendunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Comet, Dunfermline.

13. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK thanks - I'll make a few calls tomorrow

14. MaKSiNG

MaKSiNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Auldendunn,

I'm thinking of purchasing an FQ75 also, they really do seem to be a real bargain at the moment.
    Do you have anything bad to report yet?

Thanks,

MaK

15. auldendunn

auldendunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Auldendunn,

I'm thinking of purchasing an FQ75 also, they really do seem to be a real bargain at the moment.
    Do you have anything bad to report yet?

Thanks,

MaK

Hello MaK and others
    32 FQ75 installed yesterday. It really is outstanding. I was quite embarrassed about my old set when I saw this one- you don't really notice the deterioration over time. My digibox is being repaired for the subtitle fault reported elsewhere so I have not yet seen digital broadcasts, however the terrestrial channels are great.
    I have only had time to look at snatches of DVDs, and Monsters Inc is incredible!

I have not seen any "scrolling Bars" as yet - but hey, I'm not searching. No MASSIVE differences apparent with Normal, DRC 50 and DRC 100 that I can make out, although DRC 100 is steady.
    Sony "LIVE" picture setting was a bit too colour saturated (RED) for my taste, so I personalised settings - sharpness seemed a bit low also.

It's only Nicam stereo sound, however I have a separate DD and DTS amp so no problem there. (TV sound is OK though).

I'll be playing around over the coming days, so anything of interest I'll keep you informed.

Oh, by the way, I think I got the extra £100 off because I opted for a 5 year warranty.

First impressions then MaK - go for it!

16. Ganangri

Ganangri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 32fq75 2 years ago (November 2000) and touch wood I have had no problems. I paid £1100 for it at the time and well worth it.

There seems to be a (very large) bad batch of the fq75's going around and it seems like I missed it. :)