1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY12HT looks better with an Interlaced Signal ?!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harmony, Jan 15, 2003.

1. harmony

harmony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY 12HT and PIONEER S755 AI DVD PLAYER -why is the interlaced signal better ?

I'm a newbie first time PJ buyer and just got back from a demo of the 12HT and a Pioneer S755AI DVD player.

During the demo we compared the PQ with a progressive signal and a interlaced signal out of the dvd player and the interlaced signal was really much better overall (blacks, contract, clarity, sharpness) This opinion was shared by everyone in the room quite categorically.

The salesman said that with the DRC-MF feature on the 12HT an interlaced signal produced a better PQ on the 12HT.

I'm close to finalizing my purchase of the 12HT and the Pioneer S755AI DVD player but I'm a little bothered that I need to run a relatively high end progressive DVD player in interlaced mode to get the best picture.

It makes me wonder if the salesman has calibrated the 12HT properly. I have to say I am happy with the PQ but just a little concerned if the set up is optimal.

Any comments or clarifications on this?

2. todinks

todinks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 11ht with a progressive scan pioneer dv-s737 dvd player
    in the projector menu, i selected 'progressive drc'
    when i set the dvd player to progressive mode, i've noticed that that the image shimmers in places (there are no lines or waves or anything of the sort...it just..well..shimmers here n there which can get quite irritating)
    apart from that i didn't really notice any visible picture quality difference (or maybe i didn't really watch enough movies to be able to tell the difference)
    anyway, i've set the dvd player to interlaced mode and the picture is fine

earlier i had the ordinary pioneer dv-525 dvd player and the picture quality with my new pioneer is definitely MUCH better

how are the blacks on the 12ht? i'm tempted to upgrade but don't have the dough:(

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    You are comparing whether the Sony or the Pioneer is better at de-interlacing, that is all. You may also find that the reason there was a difference in brightness etc is that the DVD player may have brightness/contrast settings too and that the projector/DVD player was not set up to take this in to account.

The Sony's internal de-interlacing is actually very good with NTSC source material. Certainly as good as any Pioneer prog scan device I've seen. As prog scan is now so prevalent though you'll probably find it hard to buy a DVD playerwith excellent interlaced outputs without prog scan too.

Gordon

4. harmony

harmony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon - thanks for your response, how does the Sony HS10's internal de-interlacing compare to the 12HT's ?