Sony ZF9 (KD-65ZF9) Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the new Sony MASTER SERIES of TVs the ZF9 replaces the highly regarded ZD9 LED LCD TV. So can this new kid on the block offer image quality to match a reference monitor and better the outgoing ZD9? Let's find out...
Read the review.

Write your own review for Sony KD-65ZF9

This review would not have been possible without the support of

CramptonMoore.png

If you are thinking about buying a new TV and want to support our reviews, you can give Richard a call on 01302 365760 or email [email protected] and mention AVForums.

Last edited:
2oh0s2.jpg

They must now realise LED has past its days, and the way to go is Mini / Micro Led.

Does the TV really lean backwards as it appears to in the photo in the review? What is it with TV makers apparently being incapable of using a spirit level? My B7 leans backwards slightly too and it drives me nuts. These TVs cost a fortune, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to ship with a stand which actually works.

It's no ZD9, probably still along with the Q9FN one of the best tvs around. Hope sony comes with a true successor come ces. Mini LED is needed i believe 4000nits peak brightness and its likely to be 8k.

Does the TV really lean backwards as it appears to in the photo in the review?
No, it doesn't, the photo angle just makes it look like it does. It is fairly upright like most TVs and certainly doesn't lean back like the AF9

Reading this review I think it best we led fans hang on to our DX902b’s for another few years then....until mini/micro led technology appears.
I'm just a tv fan. I'm perfectly happy with my DX902 like you say, but if I were to upgrade now it would likely be OLED.

Anyway, not the place for any lcd/oled nonsense.

@Phil Hinton
Hi Phil, Thanks for the review, I've followed this TV from it's launch in New York.
Do you think there is any chance of you getting Sony to provide a statement about the review for Avforum members?
This might sound like a serious ask, but I'm really starting to lose all faith in what TV manufacturers now say, not just Sony, all of them.
This is a flagship TV, it sits at the top of the Sony range, alongside the AF9, Sony allows consumers to choose between OLED and LCD, I will say it again, this is Sony's Flagship LED.
Sony at their press event in New York made several promises, two of which your review show to be false.
1. The end of the panel lottery! Sony claimed they calibrated the panels at the factory to finally, finally... ensure customer didn't face a panel lottery, your review seems to indicate otherwise.
2. The most accurate colours, even stating that all Master Series TV's are the closest you can get to their own reference monitor, as used by film studios.

Great I thought, a manufacturer that is bringing back quality and consistency, at price, it's not a cheap TV, but I don't mind, I would be happy to pay for the colour accuracy and panel uniformity.

Sony got a lot of press coverage from their New York event, pushing their claims of their product.

So what happen? Where do we stand as consumers? Should manufacturers be allowed to continue to make claims about their products that don't match what they ship to consumers.

And... please before some member comments that it's a "consumer product" and "you should always view a TV before you buy", and "if you are that bothered get the TV professionally calibrated", please, go away...

This is about a manufacturer making claims about a product, this is an advertising standards issue.

I'm getting very tired of claim other claim from TV companies, so Phil, please feel free to pass my post onto Sony and ask them to provide a comment for Avforum members.

@Phil Hinton
Hi Phil, Thanks for the review, I've followed this TV from it's launch in New York.
Do you think there is any chance of you getting Sony to provide a statement about the review for Avforum members?
This might sound like a serious ask, but I'm really starting to lose all faith in what TV manufacturers now say, not just Sony, all of them.
This is a flagship TV, it sits at the top of the Sony range, alongside the AF9, Sony allows consumers to choose between OLED and LCD, I will say it again, this is Sony's Flagship LED.
Sony at their press event in New York made several promises, two of which your review show to be false.
1. The end of the panel lottery! Sony claimed they calibrated the panels at the factory to finally, finally... ensure customer didn't face a panel lottery, your review seems to indicate otherwise.
2. The most accurate colours, even stating that all Master Series TV's are the closest you can get to their own reference monitor, as used by film studios.

Great I thought, a manufacturer that is bringing back quality and consistency, at price, it's not a cheap TV, but I don't mind, I would be happy to pay for the colour accuracy and panel uniformity.

Sony got a lot of press coverage from their New York event, pushing their claims of their product.

So what happen? Where do we stand as consumers? Should manufacturers be allowed to continue to make claims about their products that don't match what they ship to consumers.

And... please before some member comments that it's a "consumer product" and "you should always view a TV before you buy", and "if you are that bothered get the TV professionally calibrated", please, go away...

This is about a manufacturer making claims about a product, this is an advertising standards issue.

I'm getting very tired of claim other claim from TV companies, so Phil, please feel free to pass my post onto Sony and ask them to provide a comment for Avforum members.

Yep all reviews have shown that the 'master' moniker is a total joke, if that were true Panasonic would be 'master of master'? It's wool pulling of the highest order, but at least Sony have been kind enough to make ZD9 owners feel amazing about owning the true LCD king.

@Phil Hinton

I think when sony said calibrated at factory to stop the panel lottery I think they meant uniformity wise, not that it would be calibrated on the greyscale and cms

What???
I'm sorry, you say they didn't make claims that it would be calibrated?????

I quote from the OFFICIAL SONY press release...

Sony Europe announced the pricing and availability for the MASTER Series televisions. Both the AF9 OLED and ZF9 LCD offer unprecedented picture quality by virtue of employing multiple proprietary technologies and solutions with the next generation Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate at the fore. The MASTER Series is a name Sony reserves exclusively for its highest picture quality TV models. Sony’s goal is to create a television capable of displaying images that faithfully convey the content creators’ full intent and as such the MASTER Series provides picture quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a motion picture production studio.

What???

Sony Europe announced the pricing and availability for the MASTER Series televisions. Both the AF9 OLED and ZF9 LCD offer unprecedented picture quality by virtue of employing multiple proprietary technologies and solutions with the next generation Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate at the fore. The MASTER Series is a name Sony reserves exclusively for its highest picture quality TV models. Sony’s goal is to create a television capable of displaying images that faithfully convey the content creators’ full intent and as such the MASTER Series provides picture quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a motion picture production studio.
Still can't see where they say each set will be professionally calibrated at factory??

What???

It's nice vague marketing wording that has no quantity applied to it so could mean anything. To me it is misleading though, based on the review results.

Damm was looking at buying this for Christmas , did not expect to see a 7 rating given all the hype and master series logo .. It’s no wonder I cannot see this in any store in Ireland..

I guess it’s a QLED for me ,can’t go OLED with young kids and static images ..

Tks

Ahem, DX902 owners would like a word ;):p:D:love:

I meant out of the two! :laugh:

The 902 is ZD9 level, it's crazy that you would choose 3 year old TV's over something that was supposed to be a successor.....

Part of the new Sony MASTER SERIES of TVs the ZF9 replaces the highly regarded ZD9 LED LCD TV. So can this new kid on the block offer image quality to match a reference monitor and better the outgoing ZD9? Let's find out...
Read the review.

Write your own review for Sony KD-65ZF9

This review would not have been possible without the support of

CramptonMoore.png

If you are thinking about buying a new TV and want to support our reviews, you can give Richard a call on 01302 365760 or email [email protected] and mention AVForums.
Phil can you remember giving a true flag ship TV a lower score than this? I can't remember seeing one.

Phil can you remember giving a true flag ship TV a lower score than this? I can't remember seeing one.

I'm thinking the successor to the awesome Sony W905a, W950?

That thing was utter rubbish.

They must now realise LED has past its days, and the way to go is Mini / Micro Led.

They just delivered an average LCD. Nothing more.

Interesting that the 65" review unit has quite bad uniformity, while the 75" has been praised for its uniformity (of course, it also has almost triple the amount of dimming zones, as well). Panel lottery, or panel quality difference between the sizes?

If I remember, Panasonic's AX902 was certainly priced like a flagship, and had many great qualities for its time, but the poor-contrast IPS panel let it down despite the local dimming.

So somehow a similar situation as the AF9 (at least the 65-inch one)?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom