Sony Z5 coming...

Mogli

Established Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm liking the chrome premium :)

GSM Arena hands on;

An unpleasant rumor made the news earlier this year that Sony may be selling its smartphone division in a bid to cut losses. It was later denied by Sony Mobile CEO, him reportedly saying that they "will never ever sell or exit from the current mobile business".

Well, if you ever needed confirmation on that statement, it couldn't come in a more unequivocal manner than the launch of the Xperia Z5 family. Introducing a new, custom camera sensor, ticking the fingerprint checkbox, updating the looks and moving into a new large-screen flagship product category - all these moves are signs that Sony is keeping up with the times

It is, however, the Xperia Z5 Premium that speaks loud and bold for Sony and puts the company back on the innovators' list. And before the nay-sayers jump up with their "who needs more than 1080p" mantra, let's have in mind that Sony may actually be on to something we're too short-sighted to spot at this point.

Of course, vision and imagination are all nice things, but there's also practical considerations to have in mind, and most of those we cannot yet assess.

Yes, Sony promises two-day battery life on all three of the Xperia Z5s, but whose two days are those? Is the troubled Snapdragon 810 chipset the one that could happily churn out upwards of 8MP screen resolution to feed that gorgeous Premium display? Can the new camera actually deliver on the promise of better images, or should we say, is the processing up to the sensor's standards this time around?

Full write up here -http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-review-1293p7.php

I would need to hold the premium in the hand to take a view on the size. As for the 4K screen, sounds amazing on paper -800 odd ppi, but what does that mean in real life? How does that effect battery life?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm looking out for a new phone at the moment and have been doing some reading on the Z5 this week, it sounds really impressive! I'm going to hold out until the new Nexus announcement but this is a serious contender for me

Hmm, must admit that i'm caught between the Z5 and the iPhone 6s at the moment. Very impressed with the Z5 and the Z5 compact actually looks fantastic too. Sure the screen is only 720p, but apart from that it's a very good spec! I would probably edge towards the Z5 though. I will probably not bother with the Premium. Sure 4k would be nice, but it's not essential on a phone.

October. Thought to be the 6th but that's through someone (I think Carphone Warehouse) accidentally posting the available date on their site

This Xperia Z5 (not the premium version as 4K seams excessive in a phone) looks absolutely brilliant.

If I could get hold of a dual SIM version, I'd consider jumping iOS... something I've tried (and failed) to do twice already.

I really think Sony need and deserve some recognition of the latest Xperia phones.
I'v been contemplating a dual SIM Z3 for a while, but a dual SIM Z5 might tip me over the edge.

What exactly made you go back to ios?
The ones I've tried have been slow (Moto G), full of bloat (Samsung) and lack any of the things I like about Sony Xperias... i.e. dedicated camera shutter button, water resistance etc.

If Apple made a dual SIM, water resistant iPhone I'd be committed to staying on iOS, but the only model that ticks both boxes so far is an imported Z3 dual SIM.

The Z3 has a slow camera shutter and is now considered an old model, so I'm not prepared to pay the prices being asked for a dual SIM version.

I did try the simply electronics route, but as many others have found out they are a shady operation and I got my fingers burnt.

Sony have got caught up in the whole arms race. A 4K screen on a mobile? You're having a giraffe. A 4k screen serves no useful purpose and will just run the battery down quicker. As pointless as fitting an ashtray to a motorbike.

Fingerprint sensor on the side button is nice but the whole Xperia Z design is still too ho hum. Nothing to get excited about, Omnibalance could be any number of other 'droid handsets, only discernable by the brand.

I've got a Note 3 but really want to try something smaller, as the phone be bulging out my pocket, not skinny jeans btw. I contemplating Z5C or iPhone 6S (never has a iPhone, never liked the restrictions I heard about and the "lock-in" Apple try to do, but I've always liked the design).

Has the Z5C got a infra red port to use as a remote control? What's the pros and cons of each phone?

Sony have got caught up in the whole arms race. A 4K screen on a mobile? You're having a giraffe. A 4k screen serves no useful purpose and will just run the battery down quicker. As pointless as fitting an ashtray to a motorbike.

Fingerprint sensor on the side button is nice but the whole Xperia Z design is still too ho hum. Nothing to get excited about, Omnibalance could be any number of other 'droid handsets, only discernable by the brand.
Most of the time the Premium runs at 1080p, it's only at certain times it'll run at 4k
The Z5 Premium's Resolution is Not Always 4K, but That's a Good Thing - XDA Forums

Is it, bar the camera and finger print sensor, a worthy upgrade to the Z3+, I'm not seeing a compelling reason for Z3+ people to upgrade?.

Is it, bar the camera and finger print sensor, a worthy upgrade to the Z3+, I'm not seeing a compelling reason for Z3+ people to upgrade?.
No, doesn't seem it to me and to my knowledge it's not meant to be either.

First review here

Sony Xperia Z5 review: good but not exceptional

Makes me laugh he says the battery only lasted 34 hours, that's amazing for android imo and experience.

I do feel this will be my next phone, though waiting on more reviews, unless the new nexus is something amazing

First review here

Sony Xperia Z5 review: good but not exceptional

Makes me laugh he says the battery only lasted 34 hours, that's amazing for android imo and experience.

I do feel this will be my next phone, though waiting on more reviews, unless the new nexus is something amazing
I read this the other day and thought it rather poor, it's very unsubstantiated and standalone. I'm keen to see some other reviews but it does sound to be a solid phone

Have to say the Z5 compact could be the phone for me depending on what Nexus do with the new Nexus 5. Fingerprint scanner, no fancy 4k battery draining screen, 2-3 day battery life, waterproof, expandable memory, decent pocket sized phone, great camera, nfc and a good spec processor in as well. The Nexus 5 is going to have to be some phone me thinks...

Xperia Z5 ordered

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom