Sony xr83a90j faults

chipsteruk

Hi all,

I’ve owned a xr83a90j from release. And as soon as I turned it on there was a line smack bang down the centre of the screen on the grey settings page! And it continued to be there on every other picture!

Sonys official response was it needs replacing and they would replace it with a certified as new replacement. Basically a refurbed tv.

Well I was in my first 30 days so I sent it back and got a replacement. The exact same fault. But maybe the line was worse! Didn’t even bother contacting Sony about it until the tv went off with a load bang and the led started flashing red 3 times in a cycle. Sony couldn’t tell
Me what this related to apart from maybe a board failure. Again offered a repair. I declined because again I was in my 30 days so got a replacement.

3rd tv arrives same fault. Nothing is connected to the tv. So it’s nothing to with third party devices

Didn’t even bother contacting sony I just sent it back and got another new one!

4th tv arrives. The line was barely noticeable. Great I thought finally I got a tv worthy of the money I spent. But oh know as one issue gets resolved another started. The screen saver page. The one with all the triangles on. The blacks started to turn red from the bottom upwards. Then I started to notice it on Netflix and Apple TV plus apps. Even the black lines top and bottom had a red hint to them!

So contacted Sony and they just want you to send photos of the tv with different colours on the screen. Even though I send loads of photos with the blacks looking red!

Then one day I was watching cable and I could see the box that says hdmi at the bottom very faintly. And sony accused me of watch the tv with this box on the screen and said It was
My fault and wasn’t covered! You can’t even watch the tv with this particular box on the screen.

And this just doesn’t take into account the tv kept turning off or should I say Google tv kept crashing judging by the way the tv came back on

Sony just didn’t seem
Interested. I really have to ask the question if this tv was calibrated at all

So 4th tv went back and I know have a 5th one

The line is back down the centre. The blacks having red in them is still there which makes
Me
Wonder if all the tvs have this issue and I’ve only just noticed it.

Sony have come back to me and said there is no know fault and it’s hard to fix a problem if it’s not there!

Surely I can’t be the only person who has seen this line down the centre are noticed the blacks are turning to red?

I will state that the 65 I’ve seen in store doesn’t suffer with these issues!

So my question has anyone else had these issues??

Attachments

• 40CA4AF7-A097-43AB-945F-C86E96298D4E.jpeg
    40CA4AF7-A097-43AB-945F-C86E96298D4E.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 245FBBD7-1A3F-4F86-89FB-0D2D08E514B0.jpeg
    245FBBD7-1A3F-4F86-89FB-0D2D08E514B0.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 75305FC2-C311-4983-B1E9-7D480394C0E1.jpeg
    75305FC2-C311-4983-B1E9-7D480394C0E1.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 47
  • BCD86E0D-4034-409A-AE7D-58B22B237BEF.jpeg
    BCD86E0D-4034-409A-AE7D-58B22B237BEF.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 41

mike7

Distinguished Member
Why are you dealing with Sony over this? Surely your first line of attack is the shop you bought it from. If the TV is defective and unfit for purchase it is up to them to put matters right by recompensing you or offering an alternative.

chipsteruk

Because Mike I think it’s a manufacturing fault and that has nothing to do with the point of sale! Also I’ve had the tv changed 5 times by the retailer and if I want the problem fixed sony are the only people who can do it.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Why are you persevering with a TV make and model that is obviously never going to be of satisfactory quality for you.

While it might be a manufacturing fault, the issue is likely to be a 'batch fault'. One that every single set in the warehouses and on the shop floors have?
Possibly Sony can fix it long term with new part(s)?
Possibly they can't fix it.

Their OLED display screens are LG-made I understand, so it may be out of Sony's direct control?

Get your money back and start looking for a different make / model of TV ?

TBF I'm surprised the retailer didn't refund in full and refuse to send you another after three rejects, and you're on the fifth, already!

chipsteruk

Because it’s still the best 83” tv out there! And if it’s got a fault sony should admit it.

You can’t sell a oled tv for £7000 and have a line down the middle of the picture!

Maybe the retailers are bound by law to change it!

I’m not sure it makes any difference to them as there must be something in place so they don’t suffer any losses

I just want a working tv with no line down the centre! Not to much to ask for is it?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom