Sony XR50X90J or Samsung QN90A 50inch Who is the best?

Davyyy93

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! First i live in Italy so my english will not soo good but i try my best. I readed tons of thread in the past years, i love it, so i registered now because i need help.

I have a question, in my room i have a LG OLED 65 inch C8 but after 2 years i need to change because i cant play relaxed because of the fear of burn-in when i play PS5/PC. I purchased the oled from my friend who selled me at very good price less than 1000€ that's why, but i needed to change my room to fit this big screen, but my bed is too close at the door so i cant sleep well like before the oled. So in the year 2014 i purcased a W828B Sony 50 inch and...is still working, i just love Sony 0 issues so a Sony tv is preffered.

I searched a lot and i found this:

1)Sony XR55X90J or 50 inch.
2)Sony XR50X94J (maybe same model on top?)
3)Samsung QN90A 50 inch or 55*

* Is a VA model both 50 and 55 inch? Because i HATE IPS. I read someone bought the Samsung and return because he was a IPS panel...

Ok, so in the last im searcing for the BEST LED/CONTRAST and DEEP BLACK and MOTION in the market, so i hope someone can help me...thank you

Again sorry for the bad english, hope for a response soon!

Hi guys!! First i live in Italy so my english will not soo good but i try my best. I readed tons of thread in the past years, i love it, so i registered now because i need help.

I have a question, in my room i have a LG OLED 65 inch C8 but after 2 years i need to change because i cant play relaxed because of the fear of burn-in when i play PS5/PC. I purchased the oled from my friend who selled me at very good price less than 1000€ that's why, but i needed to change my room to fit this big screen, but my bed is too close at the door so i cant sleep well like before the oled. So in the year 2014 i purcased a W828B Sony 50 inch and...is still working, i just love Sony 0 issues so a Sony tv is preffered.

I searched a lot and i found this:

1)Sony XR55X90J or 50 inch.
2)Sony XR50X94J (maybe same model on top?)
3)Samsung QN90A 50 inch or 55*

* Is a VA model both 50 and 55 inch? Because i HATE IPS. I read someone bought the Samsung and return because he was a IPS panel...

Ok, so in the last im searcing for the BEST LED/CONTRAST and DEEP BLACK and MOTION in the market, so i hope someone can help me...thank you

Again sorry for the bad english, hope for a response soon!
50 inch are all VA. 55 inch QN90A in Italy will be IPS. You'll have to step up to the QN95A for VA or get the Q90/95T from last year. 50QN90A is not as bright as the larger models and the Sony 90/94 are the same. I would get the Q9xT or wait for the 50QN90A/55QN95A to come down in price. Same would apply to the X9xJ. If you don't value 4K120 look for last years 49XH95.

50 inch are all VA. 55 inch QN90A in Italy will be IPS. You'll have to step up to the QN95A for VA or get the Q90/95T from last year. 50QN90A is not as bright as the larger models and the Sony 90/94 are the same. I would get the Q9xT or wait for the 50QN90A/55QN95A to come down in price. Same would apply to the X9xJ. If you don't value 4K120 look for last years 49XH95.
Thanks for the reply.

So let's start, i really love Sony X90J 50/55 but Samsung QN90A 50 and QN95 55(the audio part is really intersting on the QN95 55 since i dont want a soundbar) are superior to the Sony X90J? because if the Samsung QN90A and QN95 55 are the same like black's level as a Sony i go for the Sony X90J 55/50. I just need a monitor who is really close to OLED.
Btw the price is not a problem.

4k 120hz is good on my OLED so i must have this option.

I true about Samsung eletronics is bad? I mean Sony have less problem with this or not? Because i never have experience with Samsung monitor, i a bit worried😅

So let's start, i really love Sony X90J 50/55 but Samsung QN90A 50 and QN95 55(the audio part is really intersting on the QN95 55 since i dont want a soundbar) are superior to the Sony X90J? because if the Samsung QN90A and QN95 55 are the same like black's level as a Sony i go for the Sony X90J 55/50. I just need a monitor who is really close to OLED.
Forget sound. Bad/mediocre on all sets without a dedicated/built-in soundbar or whatsoever. Samsung will have better blacks simply due to the amount of dimming zones and their algorithm. Sony will give you a more accurate image. You should compare the X9xJ to the Q80A. The X95J fits in the QN9xA category. Samsung isn't bad. All major brands can be hit-and-miss.

If you really value built-in sound you can consider the TCLC825 with built-in soundbar and woofer. Will roughly fall between the X9xJ and QN9xA picture quality wise.

If I were you I'd set my eyes on finding last years Sony XH9505 or wait for the price of the new X95J to come down. Sony's pricing is always higher than Samsung, so you expect to pay more for similar performance but from your description it sounds like you value motion, and prefer Sony, so that seems the most logical thing to do.

I would not personally dip to the X90J/X94J models as they are a step down in peak brightness which is important for HDR. On an LCD TV you need around 1000 minimum.

Sony X90J/X94J - Around 733 nits.
Samsung Q80A - Around 833
50" Samsung QN90A - 733.
Other QN90A sizes - IPS AVOID
Samsung QN93A (and higher QN94A, QN95A) - up to 2000
Sony X95J/XH9505 - Up to 1500

The TCL mentioned is interesting, the first time they release a FALD TV with higher peak brightness in Europe. If it turns out to be as good as their American TVs then it will likely lay somewhere between Sony XH9505/X95J, Samsung QN93/QN94/QN95A and Samsung Q80A.

Forget sound. Bad/mediocre on all sets without a dedicated/built-in soundbar or whatsoever. Samsung will have better blacks simply due to the amount of dimming zones and their algorithm. Sony will give you a more accurate image. You should compare the X9xJ to the Q80A. The X95J fits in the QN9xA category. Samsung isn't bad. All major brands can be hit-and-miss.

If you really value built-in sound you can consider the TCLC825 with built-in soundbar and woofer. Will roughly fall between the X9xJ and QN9xA picture quality wise.
If I were you I'd set my eyes on finding last years Sony XH9505 or wait for the price of the new X95J to come down. Sony's pricing is always higher than Samsung, so you expect to pay more for similar performance but from your description it sounds like you value motion, and prefer Sony, so that seems the most logical thing to do.

I would not personally dip to the X90J/X94J models as they are a step down in peak brightness which is important for HDR. On an LCD TV you need around 1000 minimum.

Sony X90J/X94J - Around 733 nits.
Samsung Q80A - Around 833
50" Samsung QN90A - 733.
Other QN90A sizes - IPS AVOID
Samsung QN93A (and higher QN94A, QN95A) - up to 2000
Sony X95J/XH9505 - Up to 1500

The TCL mentioned is interesting, the first time they release a FALD TV with higher peak brightness in Europe. If it turns out to be as good as their American TVs then it will likely lay somewhere between Sony XH9505/X95J, Samsung QN93/QN94/QN95A and Samsung Q80A.
I dont know TCL so no. Well if sound isnt great like my c8 ill buy a good soundbar...

Whats about my OLED C8 LG 65 inch nits? During the day playing Farcry6 HDR on PS5 i didnt see too much brighter but dimm, my room is bright during the day. Sony X95J is only 65 inch and above, i find nothing like 55 or 50 and the XH9505 is not in italy websites, only one with a 2300€. I heard about a problem with QN95A its like a sound issue like stop working for a sec, same issue with a video loss, is true? it seem coming from HDMI 1-4
Also i see a(is not the first video i see with this lines) video on YouTube with a grid effect

Go around 15:50 and see the dress, i see a lot of lines...i dont think is coming from the TV right?
If there is not better (X95J is really good but only 65 or above)
The winner is Samsung QN95A(is there is no problem in top, lines and audio issues) a this point. I mean the brighness from Sony x90j is good but a lot less than my oled?

I dont know TCL so no. Well if sound isnt great like my c8 ill buy a good soundbar...

Whats about my OLED C8 LG 65 inch nits? During the day playing Farcry6 HDR on PS5 i didnt see too much brighter but dimm, my room is bright during the day. Sony X95J is only 65 inch and above, i find nothing like 55 or 50 and the XH9505 is not in italy websites, only one with a 2300€. I heard about a problem with QN95A its like a sound issue like stop working for a sec, same issue with a video loss, is true? it seem coming from HDMI 1-4
Also i see a(is not the first video i see with this lines) video on YouTube with a grid effect

Go around 15:50 and see the dress, i see a lot of lines...i dont think is coming from the TV right?
If there is not better (X95J is really good but only 65 or above)
The winner is Samsung QN95A(is there is no problem in top, lines and audio issues) a this point. I mean the brighness from Sony x90j is good but a lot less than my oled?

I would be very surprised if your OLED is a lot brighter than the X90J you mentioned. Also in a bright room as you mentioned OLED do not perform as well

I think the mid range OLEDs can get brighter than the Sony X90J. Full field not, but in small highlights they can.

X95J is minimum 65". If you can no longer find the XH9505 then at the moment there's no real alternatives than the Samsung QN9XA (VA panel variants).

Timing is bad, this time of year if you can't find 2020 stock, 2021 stock is expensive.

I would be very surprised if your OLED is a lot brighter than the X90J you mentioned. Also in a bright room as you mentioned OLED do not perform as well
I think the mid range OLEDs can get brighter than the Sony X90J. Full field not, but in small highlights they can.

X95J is minimum 65". If you can no longer find the XH9505 then at the moment there's no real alternatives than the Samsung QN9XA (VA panel variants).

Timing is bad, this time of year if you can't find 2020 stock, 2021 stock is expensive.
Yeah when my room is dark the OLED shiny, but i feel like "its ok but can be better on day" Well is a bit expensive the lowest is close to 1800€ shipping included. I dont need to "upgrade"now is a bit early but i need to loocking around for see what is the best. A this point i wait 2022, or maybe a good price for Samsung QN95A. The only issue is the bed, close to the door, unfortunally back in the 2019 my friend i had only 65 inch. Also i dont like to play behind door room, its like lost command room. i hope u know what it means.
Where did u find thoose info about nits? I like too se all tv's with thoose info, if u can :)

You have to look at reviews. rtings.com is a good start but you have to be careful which Samsung TVs you compare as they can be different in America to Europe. Most credible reviews of TVs measure nit output, including reviews here on AVForums.

Manufacturer specs can unfortunately be wrong with nits, so its one of those things you need to read about in reviews. Same with viewing angles.

The grill effect exist on the QN95A? Like the video i posted, my oled is perfect 0 grill effect. I wonder about is a camera effect only.

If you mean the rainbow effect, yes it exists in certain conditions. Some people notice it, most people don't. Its to do with the anti glare / viewing angle coating of the TV.

OLEDs don't have the same problem, naturally they fight glare pretty well.

No i mean horizontal lines like the video i posted some post ago, it is from youtube. I wonder about 2022 Tv any news? Thanks for the time, really appreciated

Those lines in the video are from the recording, not from the TV as seen in person.
I think ill get an OLED. I counted more or less 7000+ hours 2 years of activity(after 2 month i had to change because the panel was bad, stuck pixel red when power on then slowly down, then some stuck pixels in the right i remember call LG for change, next days comes 2 experts and changing the pannel after that all good)after some tests i can say there is no burn-in 80% gaming 20% other stuff. The panel looks so fresh. I like the QN95A but i cant find! theres only at 1700€ and i think it going to out of stock soon. So whats is the best OLED in the market rn? I find LG G1 pretty good, is it the best? I see around the web some people have a problem with One Box Connect from Samsung QN95A it stops video and audio random...is a real thing or just unlucky?

Every TV has reports of problems with sound, its sometimes a fault with that persons TV, or a problem with a combination of their TV and soundbar. Don't think Samsung are any less prone to it than LG or any manufacturer.

Best OLED depends on your usage. The Sony A80J and A90J seem like the TVs to beat this year, but for gaming, LG is better.

Ill wait for now. If i purchase a new TV i will answer you. Thanks for your time, very appreciated😁

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom