Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium Smartphone Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by David Phelan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. David Phelan

David Phelan
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
    2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      As I understand it this phone isn't VR compatible, which based on my experience with my S8+ makes this an automatic no thanks, which is a pity given the 4k screen

It also looks a bit dated in terms of design

3. Technikal

Technikal

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      This phone is significantly bigger and heavier than the s8 yet the display is smaller plus its LCD and not OLED. For those reasons I wouldn't buy this phone.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    4. Pokkai

Pokkai

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      Difficult to go back to LCD from OLED indeed, but at least this phone doesn't need a fire safety blanket in the box.

5. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +259
    6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +264
      The reviewer says it has no optical image stabilisation, yet the Sony site states it has Steadyshot 5 axis stabilisation, and has a video showing it in use...

7. martinuk85

martinuk85

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      it is because it is hybrid IN SENSOR stabilisation and phone gyro, a big first from Sony, first debut in 2016 IMX318 with 3 axis image stabilisation. This new IMX400 is also world’s first memory stacked CIS and is 5 Axis but with additional support from the phone gyros.

This review also makes NO mention of the fact that the memory stacked sensor takes images even before you press the shutter button. the fact that it has manual focus, etc etc
      Xperia XZ Premium – the all-new Motion...

look here for a better review on the camera that "lacks features" according to avforums lol. Apparently, avforums also think it has an absence of a depth-of-field effect... It has manual focus, so of course it does!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    8. samdavies

samdavies
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,619
      I've had this phone a few weeks now and I absolutely love it! I've had 2 generations of samsung edge displays and I needed a design change. I find sony to be much more sophisticated in terms of design and software than samsung and lg now after using all 3.

Granted if this phone wasnt offered in a silver or metal version i may not have been drawn to buying it so much. I've just wanted another silver phone ever since I changed from the htc m8 3(?) years ago. Daft reason to want a phone, but hey call me vain idm. I actually really like the design. its simple and elegant and much more ergonomic than you'd think. Yes it definitely could do with a few mm's off the top and top bottom as those the bezels are to much, but that's life. It is bloody slippery too tbf, the ever so slightly protruding top and bottom pieces do help to stop it falling out of your hand at the last minute though thankfully. It does slide off everything mind you and fingerprints gallor! - but I knew about that prior and still accept it as a reasonable trade off for the beautil chrome effect.

It's super snappy, completely unbloated UI experience and I like all sonys smart little add ins for the most part that samsung just overdid imo and seemed still a bit childish. I had to port a beta version of HTC's sense onto my s6 and s7 edge's to be able to stand them. I dont feel i'll need to on the sony.

The screen is absolutely amazing. Breathtaking. Yes its small, but its so good. HDR is nicely effective to and im glad for the gimic. Speaking of gimics the ultra slow mo camera is so impressive. I'll be fiddling with it forever. Granted the auto phase focus is not as impressive as the s7 edge as of yet and neither is the low light shooting actually. I really wish they has combined the lens with atleast an f1.8 aperture. But nevermind, im not really an indoor shooter anyway. The selfie cam is much better than previous phones I've had as well.

Battery life is fantastic - which was a worry. Definitely matches the s7 edge. Very happy there so far. My only other major gripe is the stereo speakers are great for when you're watching something on the phone, but the moment you put it on its back and play music it just gets lost in an mid to large room. The single speaker on the s7 edge was far louder. I am actually quite irritated by this, but i've got headphones and google cast speakers all over the house so I'll live for my year cycle.

This phone is not perfect, and I'll probably be back to sammy with the s9 edge iteration next year if there's enough of an improvement offered.. But the XZ Premium has high usability, great battery life and screen, with a fun camera feature and it looks absolutely gorgeous to me. Make it half a cm shorter, double the loudness on the speakers and add better low light cam capabilities and i'd very nearly give it a 10!

9. Superaintit

Superaintit

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      One important point I didn't see in the review is Android updates. From what I gather from colleagues Sony is really slow in this regard. Which means that its vulnerable to attacks and stealing of private information.

In my opinion it could be beneficial and informative to have a separate piece on data/device security. With the internet of things rising its very much a matter of time until a burglar opens a front door because one of your internet connected devices isn't securely connecting to tge internet. Just a view points as a suggestion: iphones vs android how many apps contain viruses;open wifi networks; bank transitions via a phone app; standard passwords, why you should change them

10. samdavies

samdavies
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,619
      Honestly disagree. Sony, in the uk anyway, are much faster than Samsung with Android updates. My xz premium has already received the June security patch. My ex had the z5 and she always received android updates before my s6 and s7 - both major and minor.

Agree security is a worthwhile subject on the whole, but comparing apple and Android security updates really isn't a fruitful talking point imo. Its not like iOS is an open platform leaving room for choice. You either like the iPhone or you don't. I wouldn't have thought more frequent security updates will make a diehard Android fan turn over.

11. TrondB

TrondB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Wrong! Sony aims to be first manufacturer to release Android 7.1.1 (outside Google) | Xperia Blog

Have a Xperia XZs and just love it. Prefer Sony's design over Samsung any day. :smashin:

12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,806
      In his review David said that there wasn't any optical stabilisation, which is correct, but there is electronic stabilisation so that's a fair point and he has updated the camera section of the review to reflect this. He has also added some comments about Predictive Capture to go along with his original observations on Predictive Focus.

13. martinuk85

martinuk85

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      Thanks for getting the review updated Steve Withers. However, do you not agree that these three photos I have attached using my Xperia XZ Premium exhibit good depth of field effect, these were taken indoors in somewhat bad lighting, three objects and in each photo a different object is in focus. Notice how you can see a nice depth of field effect. This is using superior auto mode with just finger tap object focus. Didn't even need to use manual focus.
      DSC_0892.JPG DSC_0891.JPG DSC_0893.JPG

Sony always gets a tough write up when it comes to phones. This is arguably their best phone to date, has all the features found in all top contenders and features a few world firsts too and it still seems like you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. I'm regards to design, people love to point out phones like the Samsung Galaxy S8, however with Sony's design choice they've managed to retain front facing stereo speakers unlike the mentioned.

No mention of the fact that it was the first phone to debut Snapdragon 835 which in return made it the first phone to reach gigabit LTE speeds.