Sony Xperia S - Any Owners Yet?

Come on Sony, sort your designers out.

I had a look at this phone with a view to purchasing but it looks ugly, cheap and toyish. The design is a massive step backwards from the Arc S and the materials used are still as cheap as a childs toy. Sony STOP using plastic ***. The only thing wrong with the Arc S from a design point of view is the plastic. This new xperia has changed from a sleek unique design to a brick with even worse plastic/rubber.

This new phone should also be sporting a quad core processor and ICS if it is to be competitve. Why didnt you delay this for a few months to get ICS on it as standard. We know an update it due soon but the phone should have been optimised for ICS rather than gingerbread.

Why are Android phones so FUGLY. Even the moto razr and LG prada looks cheap as chips and these are the best offerings at the moment.

I agree the Arc was a better design although to me it did feel cheaper then the Xperia S in the hand. Got a lot of attention though when people at work noticed it as oppose to the Xperia S which is nothing to write home about.

Compared to my previous phone (Nokia n9) the design is lacking. Still for all that I don't mind the phone myself. Got a good deal with the O2 offer so no complaints from me.

If you do get the CEO job snuk send me some freebies. :smashin: :D

Anyone tell me what they think of the build quality of the sony experia S ,also sound quality of the speaker

Good/Bad :smashin:

cheers

Anyone tell me what they think of the build quality of the sony experia S ,also sound quality of the speaker

Good/Bad :smashin:

cheers

Build quality - not as good as the iPhone. But from the front, it looks lovely :) feels fine in the hand, but if you've owned an iPhone, you'll have an expectation that this, and things like the Galaxy S2 cannot deliver in feel alone.

Xperia S speaker seems more than adequate to me - clear enough, but the same as many handheld devices - flat compared to speakers. Rings/alarms sound perfectly fine!

Oh on Orange, I finally got my Sky Sports add-on sent to me ("Swappable") - all the sports channels for free ... streaming isn't too bad in terms of quality either! Time to make use of the HDMI out into the TV ... far better than buying the channels from Sky at an expensive price :)

How do you find the sky sports swappable? I hear you can only use Sky Sports over 3G

How do you find the sky sports swappable? I hear you can only use Sky Sports over 3G

No it's fine on WiFi - they ask you to prove your phone is accessing the site and send you a text to click into, but otherwise fine :) Sky Sports 1 streaming to my phone as I type - they're chatting about Portsmouth FC.

Build quality - not as good as the iPhone. But from the front, it looks lovely :) feels fine in the hand, but if you've owned an iPhone, you'll have an expectation that this, and things like the Galaxy S2 cannot deliver in feel alone.

Xperia S speaker seems more than adequate to me - clear enough, but the same as many handheld devices - flat compared to speakers. Rings/alarms sound perfectly fine!

Not had an Iphone ,but my lady wife does ,can't deny their build quality ,in my view they're getting a bit dated now compared to the latest crop of handsets on the market . I myself have the SGN at the moment soon to be traded for the Sony experia S .

Thanks for you input :)

Ah that's ideal then, I'll definitely look into one of these Panther contracts next. I may even get one of these Xperia's to go with it. Do you get the F1 channel?

Ah that's ideal then, I'll definitely look into one of these Panther contracts next. I may even get one of these Xperia's to go with it. Do you get the F1 channel?

Afraid not, sir!

:thumbsdow Deal breaker? I think Not!!!

It's still 4 more sports channels than I have now

:thumbsdow Deal breaker? I think Not!!!

It's still 4 more sports channels than I have now

You get Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 and 4, ESPN, At The Races and CNN.

Not bad, eh?

Certainly not bad and then you have unlimited downloads of music from Deezer as well, sounds like win win to me :D

I notice this phone isn't on their list of supported devices but it obviously works. :confused:

Last edited:
Certainly not bad and then you have unlimited downloads of music from Deezer as well, sounds like win win to me :D

I notice this phone isn't on their list of supported devices but it obviously works. :confused:

No idea - the games "swappable" is a waste of time - nothing works :)

Hope somebody can help/advise ,i'm looking at trading my samsung galaxy nexus for sony experia S .

Good idea or bad , tried looking at comparisons ,i thought some of you guys on here might have a better idea .

Love my white SIM free S from the Sony Shop, bought several days ago. Excellent sound quality on calls and quite loud if you need it.
Downside is the battery life. I have it using local wi fi via my home broadband for data, which works fine, but from a full charge overnight - it's down to 50% by 6 pm, with no use whatsovever. So I guess two charges a day might be the norm for this phone, on average usage. Other than that it's a great kit.
Screen quality is fab, downloaded 17 new app. updates yesterday, on notification via the top blue led.
Links to a Sony TV via wi fi as well, to show photos and 1080 movie clips. A big step up from my previous non-smart Sony, but the short battery life I'm going to have to get used to. Bought a leather Arc S cover from Amazon, but it's a bit too tight for this S phone, which is just a tad bigger.Bummer...
( Sainsburys do a micro USB/mains charger you can use as a second charging point, btw, if needed. )
Lots more info if needed...

Last edited:
Love my white SIM free S from the Sony Shop, bought several days ago. Excellent sound quality on calls and quite loud if you need it.
Downside is the battery life. I have it using local wi fi via my home broadband which works fine, but from a full charge overnight - it's down to 50% by 6 pm, with no use whatsovever. So I guess two charges a day will be the norm for this phone, on average usage. Other than that it's a great kit.
Screen quality is fab, downloaded 17 new app. updates yesterday, on notification via the top blue led.
Links to a Sony TV via wi fi as well, to show photos and 1080 movie clips. A big step up from my previous non-smart Sony, but the short battery life I'm going to have to get used to. Bought a leather Arc S cover from Amazon, but it's a bit too tight for this S phone, which is just a tad bigger.Bummer...
( Sainsburys do a micro USB/mains charger you can use as a second charging point, btw, if needed. )
Lots more info if needed...

Look at location services - I find thse drain the life a reasonable amount of battery. Since I've sorted that, my battery is pretty good :)

Hope somebody can help/advise ,i'm looking at trading my samsung galaxy nexus for sony experia S .

Good idea or bad , tried looking at comparisons ,i thought some of you guys on here might have a better idea .

The screen on the Xperia S is slightly better in the opinon of most people (it's a stunner!), but then the Xperia is new and the S2 is a year old more or less. Xperia is 1280x720 and S2 is 800x400 if I am not mistaken.

Xperia has a 12MP camera, S2 8MP.

The Sony is very pretty, but they are otherwise similar in specification to be fair.

The screen on the Xperia S is slightly better in the opinon of most people (it's a stunner!), but then the Xperia is new and the S2 is a year old more or less. Xperia is 1280x720 and S2 is 800x400 if I am not mistaken.

Xperia has a 12MP camera, S2 8MP.

The Sony is very pretty, but they are otherwise similar in specification to be fair.

You seem to have muddled the S2 with the Galaxy Nexus

The Specifications are rather similar bar the camera which is only 5mp on the Nexus. I would stick with the nexus purely because I love vanilla ICS but I must admit the Xperia is very temting.

Look at location services - I find thse drain the life a reasonable amount of battery. Since I've sorted that, my battery is pretty good :)

lol..Yeah, switch off the GPS when not needed.

I got the Xperia S for my wife on the O2 £21.50 per month deal the day it came it out.

I was impressed with it so much I ended up keeping it for my self and giving my wife my iPhone 4S :D

The DLNA compatibility means it works great with my media server and also my Sony bluray player and Bravia TV, although I need a media player app that is compatible with all movie files.

Also I got a glossy black gel case for it, off ebay, which in my opinion adds to the overall feel and appearance.

Yeh, ditto with the O2 deal ( btw, not generally advertised, but you can text 21202 with "Balance" and get back what time you have used to date, but not data - that needs an O2 site visit. Apologies if you dudes all know this...)

In the box with mine I had a separate screen protector. It does not cover all of the screen as it has a large gap where the earpiece is. This is an official Sony protector that was in the box and comes with a cleaning cloth and plastic card to remove air bubbles. I tried to put it on straight away but failed miserably with air bubbles I simply could not get out. I am normally fine with them, as I had no problem with my Vita or Sony NEX camera ones.

Anyway, then I saw there is a screen protector already on the phone. Are we sure that this is not meant to stay on there forever as a shatter guard and that you are supposed to apply a protector to the protector? I noticed some sites selling the "official" Sony protector, but I don't know if thats the same one as the extra one in the box, with a large cutout where the earpiece is, or the same as the laminate sheet.

There is one already on it, but it's not a screen protector, it's a shatter guard, and it will mark/scratch easier than a screen protector, as it's softer, but put on during assembly, thus feels like it's more "stuck" on.

It's not there to stop scratches, it's only there to hold the glass together in case of a smash.

You are supposed to apply the protector on top of the guard, but in all honesty, removing the guard in most cases increases the touch screens sensitivity, can in some instances brighten the screen(when the guard is removed, put it up to the light to see how "tinted" they are), and also gives a more reasonable protection against scratches, as I mention, the guard is softer.

The official ones do tend to be cut away around the earpiece, as well, that's not part of the "screen" so to speak, so you put them as close to the earpiece/edge of screen as you can.

There is one already on it, but it's not a screen protector, it's a shatter guard, and it will mark/scratch easier than a screen protector, as it's softer, but put on during assembly, thus feels like it's more "stuck" on.

It's not there to stop scratches, it's only there to hold the glass together in case of a smash.

You are supposed to apply the protector on top of the guard, but in all honesty, removing the guard in most cases increases the touch screens sensitivity, can in some instances brighten the screen(when the guard is removed, put it up to the light to see how "tinted" they are), and also gives a more reasonable protection against scratches, as I mention, the guard is softer.

The official ones do tend to be cut away around the earpiece, as well, that's not part of the "screen" so to speak, so you put them as close to the earpiece/edge of screen as you can.

Okay got it, thank you for the clear answer. That's amazing they suggest a protector ontop of a shatter guard. That is two layers to abstract the touch screen sensitivity. Doesn't sound like a very clever idea!

In terms of the tint, I have noticed that whites on mine look creamy. I don't mean the dreaded yellow blotches that some have referred to on other forums. I mean the whole screen, white is creamy instead of pure white. As you mention the shatter guard has a tint to it, I would suspect it is partially responsible for that!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom