Sony Xperia 5 IV Smartphone Review & Comments

I had an Xperia 1 III for a short while but though battery was too low, 4K not worth the CPU/battery negatives, and too long.

Your review has tempted me now the V has wireless charging.

The 3.5mm audio quality was great for a phone on the 1, and I assume V still has mSD card slot too?

Off to read up some more. Thanks

Did you stress test it for temps?

the Xperia 1 iv had/has significant throttling/shutdown issues and Sony said they'd change the cooling system for this one - I'm just wondering if the heat you experienced was relatively low or could become serious under stress.

The green is more understated in real life, they make it look greener in their marketing but I'm liking mine so far.

The temp issue must be for gamers or those making 4k vids, I don't do either but have watched lengthy YouTube's and spent a day on it yesterday, didn't feel a thing.

I can feel a difference on 60fps as I've used 120s for some time now so keep mine on 120

SOT yesterday over 8 hours which was nice

Did you stress test it for temps?

the Xperia 1 iv had/has significant throttling/shutdown issues and Sony said they'd change the cooling system for this one - I'm just wondering if the heat you experienced was relatively low or could become serious under stress.
I have 1 IV since end of June and in everyday use it is way less hot than my old XZ2. Overheating is usually related to camera usage, video mostly, because you are using all 3 cameras at once for seamless switching over different lenses. But ppl that really need/want to record hours of videos should get dedicated camera anyway. I was in Petra last weekend and for practical reasons decided to not take the camera and use only phone for taking pictures. Got there at 9am and first overheating warning I got around 1pm. On 37 degrees after some 200 shots. But it never refused cooperation.

Thanks for the review!

I've been a long time Sony user, going back to the Arc in the smartphone era (and even further back in the SE days), but after a few Xperias I switched for a couple of years to a BB Key2. As great as that phone is, it got stuck on Android 8 and no security updates since last Dec, so it was time for a change.

First got a Samsung S22 on company money, but ditched it after three weeks for the Xperia 5 IV a few days ago.
At my own expense, and it did burn a big hole in the pocket, but man... this does feel like coming back home or meeting an old friend after a long time :)

Everything just feels... right with the X5iv, as opposed to the Samsung which had awful bloatware (more on that later), silly (to me) UI and iPhone mee-too design.
I was worried the phone might be too large (I have small hands) but the few mm difference in width compared with the S22 and Key2 make much easier to use one handed. Yes I can't reach the top of the screen one-handed but the software has sufficient options to work around that.

I'm as right handed as they come but funny enough I always hold my phones in the left hand :) so the fingerprint sensor although great isn't best positioned for me, but that's a minor gripe. It is indeed very fast and almost never misses scans. On the rare occasions it does, I'd blame it on the way my left index and middle fingers touch the sensor, not the phone's fault.
These sensors have come a long way since the Z5 Compact.

120Hz refresh rate is great and isn't wireless charging the best thing since sliced bread? :)

I don't play games on my phone and despise video shooting, so the overheating is less of a concern, thankfully. Haven't had any issue with it in the one week I've used the phone, but it's worth noting that if the phone would overheat, the refresh rate would drop to 60Hz until it cools down.

But on the same topic: one of the first things I did after getting the Xperia was to go to XDA to check what's going on with the Sony development community, thinking it would not be long until an optimized kernel would be released to mitigate the overheating issue. I was surprised to see there's very little activity in the sections for recent Sony phones :( Older phones like the Z Ultra and Z5c still get more attention, with Android 12 ROMs, kernels etc being available. But maybe the X5iv will get some love there too, especially for when Sony might stop supporting software development for it, as I see myself holding on to it for a good few years.

Finally, bloatware or lack thereof:
There's a tool - UAD Universal Android Debloater - that let's you "uninstall" system apps using ADB even without root access.
I had only 32 to remove from the Sony (most of those Google stuff) versus no less than 158 on the Samsung! :eek:
And if you read through the descriptions in UAD of what those packages do... there's some really nasty stuff there...

Typed this all on the X5iv :) and in closing it reminds me: the haptic feedback motors are much nicer on it than on the Samsung, it's hard to explain but the tactile feedback is definitely better (proper?} on the Sony.

LE- Of course I forgot something :)
It has solid support for Bluetooth audio codecs, unlike the Samsung:
Hifiman Ananda BT use LDAC with the highest possible bitrate (stuck on "best effort" on the S22) and Beoplay EX use AptX HD Adaptive at 96 kHz sample rate (stuck at only basic AptX on the S22)
LE2- Coming from LCD phones, the OLED screen is a major upgrade; colours are nigh-on perfect in Creator mode, akin to what my Panny OLEDs display, whereas the S22 looks a bit artificial and a touch greenish even with its Standard mode, nevermind Vivid which overblows everything to high-heaven...
(sorry if this all sounds anti-Samsung but the Sony simply does it better all around, for me at least)

Last edited:
For an AV forum I am surprised and disappointed there is no mention of the audio performance of this phone.
Since LG pulled out of the mobile market I have been on the lookout for a phone that caters to the serious audio market and thought this maybe a contender.

Guess I need to read other sites reviews to find out.

For an AV forum I am surprised and disappointed there is no mention of the audio performance of this phone.
Since LG pulled out of the mobile market I have been on the lookout for a phone that caters to the serious audio market and thought this maybe a contender.

Very happy with audio quality in my Xperia 1 III. 1 IV won the EISA awards best multimedia phone. Guess 5 IV have the same audio quality.

Last edited:

Well...
For music I only use wireless headphones with it, so the audio quality is as good as the DAC in each headset.
Phone's speakers... are there any "good" out there? They all sound terrible to me.
As for wired headphones, I understand the DAC used by Sony is not as good as what LG used to put in theirs, but among the current Android devices it apparently is as good as they come.

Finally, bloatware or lack thereof:
There's a tool - UAD Universal Android Debloater - that let's you "uninstall" system apps using ADB even without root access.
I had only 32 to remove from the Sony (most of those Google stuff) versus no less than 158 on the Samsung! :eek:
And if you read through the descriptions in UAD of what those packages do... there's some really nasty stuff there...

Is this on the Play store at all ? Couldn't see it under a search, fair chance I'm just being thick tho !! o_O

Is this on the Play store at all ? Couldn't see it under a search, fair chance I'm just being thick tho !! o_O
Don't think so, I found out about it from XDA. It's on GitHub, with how-to and and also an FAQ available:

I wouldn't expect Google to ever allow it on the Play store since it allows one to disable their apps :)

Don't think so, I found out about it from XDA. It's on GitHub, with how-to and and also an FAQ available:

I wouldn't expect Google to ever allow it on the Play store since it allows one to disable their apps :)
Makes perfect sense lol. Thanks for that, will have a look at it all at some point :thumbsup:

keep in mind that SONY ditched most of it's apps in favor of google ones so you will need an alternative if you want to disable google apps.

Been getting acquainted with mine today, very happy in general, the main bugbear was the Album app telling me it wasn't compatible with this phone...then why is it on the flipping phone then?

Little bit of research and you can download the app from an outside source and now it works great.
Audio through wired headphones is great, the screen is really good but coming from the xz3 it's a little less saturated so is taking some getting used to.
All in all pretty happy with it.

Album works but.......if I remember correctly, on XZ2 Xperia camera would take you to folder with picture you took wit the camera. On 1 mark IV it does not do that, have to select photography pro from folders. But funny thing, it works for videos.

I came from having Samsung Galaxy phones for about 9 or 10 years to a Sony V III a few months ago, and for the most part, I'm very happy with it. As others have said, it support Sony's high-bitrate LDAC codec, and is one of the few phones with a 3.5mm headphone jack socket (which was important to me). Audio quality to me sounds excellent. Very neutral. An EQ via Sony Music Player can help boost/reduce bass, treble and mids if necessary.

I also really like the thinner screen. I always felt my last phone, the Samsung S21 Plus, was a little oversized for my small, fat-fingered hands.

Battery life also seems better than my Samsung's.

The fingerprint recognition is SO much better than Samsung's, which only worked about 50% of the time.

Only downside? The colours and vibrancy of the screen definitely aren't as strong as the Samsung. No question. But I read in a few places that Samsung really boost the contrast and colours whereas Sony's are much more natural. It may take some getting used to the flatter palette if you're coming from a Samsung phone is all...

I have always had sony phones and went for the 1ii after my XZ premium finally had its day. After all the hype about the 1 series I was majorly disappointed and will be switching to oppo.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom