Sony XL302 virtual drive spanning

Petepots

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys

Can anyone help me, I have a Sony XL302 that has gone POP. I think the two 250gb drives are fine. I had on the two drives c: d: e:.

The problem is how can I get the data off because the data spans over two virtual drives.

My question is if I got a sata caddy and connected the two drives together and plug it into a USB port on another computer would I see all the three virtual drives

As the XL302 run Windows and doesn't seem to have anything other than a standard SATA disk controller you should be able to connect the drives to another PC and see the partitions. Unless you've done something specific to enable one of the (logical) c:, d: or e: partitions to span across physical disks it likely that each logical drive is located on one or other of the physical disks.

You'd probably be able to recover the data from just attaching the disks via a SATA-USB caddy one at a time.

Thanks cjed

In the XL302 there is 2 sata drives, when you go into windows, control panel, admin tools, computer management, storage there was only ever 1 drive showing that would be disk 0.

So with diskdirector I size my partitions as I wanted them, so they must of spanned across the 2 250gb drives in the machine.

I am wondering if this was something Sony did on there mother board to combine the 2 drives as one

Yes, that sounds as though it's a disk controller setup :-( - it's very likely you'll need another XL302 to put them in to recover the data.

I think your right Cjed, oh dear. Let me tell you what happened:
I was watching a film using VLC then a blue screen with white text and the xl302 closed down. when I start it there is a lot of disk drive activity but nothing through the HDMI port, also no network activity.

So I cant boot because there is no video, also I cant use RDC as I used to do because the network on the xl302 does not work.

So I have no idea what's gone wrong, graphics card?? not sure whether that would affect the network, because I could use RDC before.

If it was the mother board the drives would not be so active.

I do think your right about getting another xl302 to get the data off damn.

thanks cjed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom