Sony XH9505 LED LCD TV Owners Thread

Thanks for the advise just want to get the most out of my TV currently using custom pro 1 day custom pro 2 night untouched
Think I'm at that copying stage like most ha
Is it costly having someone come out to calibrate? am tempted
@Canary_Jules is Wakefield in your travel distance pm plz

Hi. Yes, Wakefield is fine. :)

Think this was asked before but I cannot find it. How do you set up multiple picture settings.
I would like to have one for HDR content then one for non HDR for PS5

What's the best smoothness and clearness setup for UHD on Disney+?
If you want correct Motion reproduction then Motionflow Custom Smoothness Min Clearness Min Film mode/CineMotion Auto

@Iron Tusk If you load up your ps5 and then disable HDR in the ps5 video settings to start.

Now on TV for the ps5 hdmi input, change the picture mode to Game.

Now adjust the settings to your liking.

Remember that when you then turn HDR on again on the ps5, the TV will auto switch to Game HDR picture mode. Everything will be inherited from SDR mode except Brightness will correctly go to Max and Xtended dynamic range will correctly go to High.

I hope this is what you are after?

Last edited:
@Iron Tusk If you load up your ps5 and then disable HDR in the ps5 video settings to start.

Now on TV for the ps5 hdmi input, change the picture mode to Game.

Now adjust the settings to your liking.

Remember that when you then turn HDR on again on the ps5, the TV will auto switch to Game HDR picture mode. Everything will be inherited from SDR mode except Brightness will correctly go to Max and Xtended dynamic range will correctly go to High.

I hope this is what you are after?

Yes that makes sense I think.
I set my PS5 to HDR off earlier and used these settings:

I played Rainbow Six Siege and it looked great to be fair.

Same guy also has a video for HDR settings:

I put HDR on and played Pro Evo 2021 and to be honest I thought it looked better with HDR off. I guess it depends on the game.

I also followed the adjust HDR for PS5 instructions from HDTVTest video.

But basically when I turn HDR on I shouldn`t have to change any other picture settings? the TV should correct what needs doing?

Yes that makes sense I think.
I set my PS5 to HDR off earlier and used these settings:

I played Rainbow Six Siege and it looked great to be fair.

Same guy also has a video for HDR settings:

I put HDR on and played Pro Evo 2021 and to be honest I thought it looked better with HDR off. I guess it depends on the game.

I also followed the adjust HDR for PS5 instructions from HDTVTest video.

But basically when I turn HDR on I shouldn`t have to change any other picture settings? the TV should correct what needs doing?

That's right yeah. As you've seen, some games just have really bad hdr

If you want correct Motion reproduction then Motionflow Custom Smoothness Min Clearness Min Film mode/CineMotion Auto
I'm struggling getting smooth motion on my 65xh9505. I watched Lost in Space, a panning shot at the start and the motion is very choppy. I will have to play with the settings again at weekend.

Have had the 65” a few days and am getting to grips with it.

Somewhere had read tv-led content is better than player-led, is this just for Dolby Vision?

Am watching the footy on Prime atm, when I tried the TV app there was a fair bit of judder on the moving ball. On the Sky Q app it is completely smooth though. Same picture settings.

Are Sky Q apps better in general the TV ones?

Last edited:
Have had the 65” a few days and am getting to grips with it.

Somewhere had read tv-led content is better than player-led, is this just for Dolby Vision?

Am watching the footy on Prime atm, when I tried the TV app there was a fair bit of judder on the moving ball. On the Sky Q app it is completely smooth though. Same picture settings.

Are Sky Q apps better in general the TV ones?
TV app refreshes at 60hz whereas the footy content is either 25/50fps. You get judder as a result of this mismatch

Try Motionflow Custom Smoothness 2 Clearness 1 (0 if HDR) Film mode Auto.

If persists with judder on native app use external device.

Sometimes on native prime app best to start content, wait 5 secs, back out, then resume.

HTH

I see the latest XJ series will come with Google TV. Google TV looks a marked improvement over the current Sony Android TV software.

Will our XH95 TVs get Google TV? What is Sony like with these type of updates?

On another note, seems Sony have killed the 49" model for the upcoming XJ95 series.. helps me avoid buyers regret with my current 49" XH95! 👍

Thanks mate. Was hoping for your response as you seem to know a lot about refresh rates of different content. Is this setup specific for Disney or all native video apps have the same refresh rate? I find less judder with clearness 2 and smoothness 1 on most content.

TV app refreshes at 60hz whereas the footy content is either 25/50fps. You get judder as a result of this mismatch

Try Motionflow Custom Smoothness 2 Clearness 1 (0 if HDR) Film mode Auto.

If persists with judder on native app use external device.

Sometimes on native prime app best to start content, wait 5 secs, back out, then resume.

HTH

Cheers, makes sense. Had those same Motion settings and issue still persisted after resuming, so guess Sky Q is better for football at least. Other UHD stuff seems a bit better native though.

On another note, whilst 4K football is completely crisp, 1080p live football looks nowhere near as sharp as other 1080p content. Highlights look fine though. Any suggestions to improve live 1080p PQ?

My 55” arrived yesterday and I’m not sure I’ve made the right decision. We have Sky Q (HD not UHD) and some channels look great but saw highlights of Wolves v Everton and it looked atrocious. Overall I’m not as impressed as I thought I would be going from a 43” 5yr old LG HD. The 55” seems huge as well and wonder if I should have gone for a 49”. I’ll give it today to try and and get used to it before deciding whether to keep it although my husband is now watching the cricket and he’s very happy with the picture and size of screen. Not sure why the football highlights looked a bit blurry/not as good as on old TV when other channels look better, we watch a lot of football as well.

Last edited:
My 55” arrived yesterday and I’m not sure I’ve made the right decision. We have Sky Q (HD not UHD) and some channels look great but saw highlights of Wolves v Everton and it looked atrocious. Overall I’m not as impressed as I thought I would be going from a 43” 5yr old LG HD. The 55” seems huge as well and wonder if I should have gone for a 49”. I’ll give it today to try and and get used to it before deciding whether to keep it although my husband is now watching the cricket and he’s very happy with the picture and size of screen. Not sure why the football highlights looked a bit blurry/not as good as on old TV when other channels look better, we watch a lot of football as well.

In terms of the larger size you honestly get use to it very quickly. Having gone from a 55" to a 65" last summer everyone's initial reaction, apart from me, we it was far to big. After two weeks none of us could remember what the 55" was like. In relation to some programming looking worse, this is nearly always due to poor quality source content and it effectively get's stretched out over a larger screen size. It will have been just as poor on your old smaller screen but just not as easy to see, but the larger screen means your eyes pick up on it more easily. Have a look at some of the UHD football videos on youtube and see what the television can do. Football can be very hit and miss, even on MOTD, some matches look superb and others look like they've been filmed with a potato. There are more benefits of the 55" over the 49" with this model so if you can, stick with it.

try turning the sharpness setting to 45 the default 55 is to sharp.

I'm struggling getting smooth motion on my 65xh9505. I watched Lost in Space, a panning shot at the start and the motion is very choppy. I will have to play with the settings again at weekend.
Hi Kenny, are you sure you're not just noticing the inherent, low frame rate stutter that is natural with 24fps content? Watching on such a big screen it will be easy to notice?

Make sure you have SkyQ box set to 1080i and not 4K because the TV will do a much better job at upscaling than the SkyQ box will.

You may want to set the box to 1080p in case you watch any on demand content which is delivered at 1080p. All HD channels broadcast via satellite are 1080i.

What was your source? What are the complete picture settings that you are using? :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom