Sony XH9505 LED LCD TV Owners Thread

Often you see it in faster panning images like sport, pale backgrounds etc. It can be quite distracting if its bad. The XH95 so far seems to be a model that exhibits very little DSE, it's certainly the best panel I've had since my XE9305. Very similar sort of screens, deeper in size, so maybe that has something to do with it and might explain with this years much thinner Samsungs are exhibiting lots of DSE.

My thoughts exactly. Potentially more distance between backlight and LCD panel allows for better blending of the light from individual LEDs. There is a trade-off with everything. Samsung apparently prioritized a thin design over screen uniformity.

There are worse than that? Man, it is amazing what these companies think they can foist on us and think it is okay.
I would NOT be happy with that and it would be going straight back if it was mine.
My XH95 is also clean.
Is niiiice, I liiiiike. :rotfl:

Take a look at the pictures of my first Samsung Q95T:
Samsung Q90T thread
Samsung Q90T thread

My second Q95T was much better, but still exhibited noticeable DSE on panning shots.

Here is another unhappy customer: Samsung Q90T thread

The playback speed. Sometimes i watch stuff x2 and its handy

Yes, it sucks that this is not possible on the Youtube app on Android TV. The Youtube app on Samsung (Tizen OS) supports it. Come on, Google! This is downright embarrassing...

Yes, it sucks that this is not possible on the Youtube app on Android TV. The Youtube app on Samsung (Tizen OS) supports it. Come on, Google! This is downright embarrassing...

Oh so webOS and tizen both support it. It doesn't seem like a big thing really. Do you think it will ever be possible in the future?

Oh so webOS and tizen both support it. It doesn't seem like a big thing really. Do you think it will ever be possible in the future?

It is most certainly possible. I can see no reason why Google would omit it, but they have. There are alternative Youtube clients for Android TV that support it, but you have to sideload them. I have not tried any. Another supposed workaround is to install Firefox and go to Youtube through that. There is some discussion on the topic here:

The playback speed. Sometimes i watch stuff x2 and its handy
Could you cast the youtube video you want to watch to the built in chromecast on the tv, then adjust the playback of said video from the youtube app on your phone/tablet?

I've got about 10 pages of this thread to read so so apologies if I've yet to skim read this one.....but wondering if it is possible to reassign the remote Google Play Button to say Prime....ill never use Google Play for media so it's just sitting there doing nothing otherwise...

Other than that have to say I'm really happy with the TV for its use case (games, the odd 4K movie, Netflix/Prime and DJ controller screen.

The bloom is certainly noticeable but coming from a great (albeit old) Plasma, I think that was to be expected. I'm not sure I could get past this on a BIG screen for the lounge/main viewing area...so that may still end up being an OLED of some sort in the 77inch size range...again, only because I've come from never having it before.

That said the HDR on this set and peak brightness is incredible......the screen really pops and looks great on 4K source so far.....can't really comment on lower as it won't really be used for anything else

Last edited:
I've got about 10 pages of this thread to read so so apologies if I've yet to skim read this one.....but wondering if it is possible to reassign the remote Google Play Button to say Prime....ill never use Google Play for media so it's just sitting there doing nothing otherwise...

I use button remapper for my xf90. I have long press of the netflix button assigned to prime

This week, I'm hopefully going to push the button and order a 49-in XH9505, but just before I do could some kind soul explain the Freeview/Youview thing please? I want to be able to use the TV to watch Freeview and get satellite Astra 28.2 transmissions from the onboard generic DSAT tuners, which, from what i can make out, don't have a Freesat overlay. What I don't understand is the Youview thing. Is that Sony's version of Freeview Play? Do I have to use it? I ask, as I seem to remember that when playing with earlier Sony TVs in Currys, it seemed to be Youview or DSAT. Or am I getting confused?

TIA.

This week, I'm hopefully going to push the button and order a 49-in XH9505, but just before I do could some kind soul explain the Freeview/Youview thing please? I want to be able to use the TV to watch Freeview and get satellite Astra 28.2 transmissions from the onboard generic DSAT tuners, which, from what i can make out, don't have a Freesat overlay. What I don't understand is the Youview thing. Is that Sony's version of Freeview Play? Do I have to use it? I ask, as I seem to remember that when playing with earlier Sony TVs in Currys, it seemed to be Youview or DSAT. Or am I getting confused?

TIA.
Unlike earlier Sony android TVs you don't have to disable YouView to use the built in Dsat tuner. The processor is fast enough with it enabled. Disabling YouView also disables some of the catch up apps, so it's best left enabled.
At the moment the set doesn't have a Freesat overlay, however it is apparently getting Freesat with a future firmware update.

Unlike earlier Sony android TVs you don't have to disable YouView to use the built in Dsat tuner. The processor is fast enough with it enabled. Disabling YouView also disables some of the catch up apps, so it's best left enabled.
At the moment the set doesn't have a Freesat overlay, however it is apparently getting Freesat with a future firmware update.
I have this set. Could some kind soul tell me where to disable Youview as I understand you cannot record programmes using youview guide/epg?

I used this incredibly simple wall bracket for mounting my 49 incher. Having solid walls made things easier but the tv is just 5 mm away from the wall and very stable.

Without trawling through this whole thread, could some kind soul advise on the settings for this TV? What should be enabled/disabled, its a bit of a minefield. Thanks in advance.

Could you cast the youtube video you want to watch to the built in chromecast on the tv, then adjust the playback of said video from the youtube app on your phone/tablet?

Yh I can technically use my phone and cast it but it's not the same as natively doing it.
I can have my phone doing something else for example.

Yh I can technically use my phone and cast it but it's not the same as natively doing it.
I can have my phone doing something else for example.

I don't mean casting your whole phone screen, I mean literally just casting the content of the app. Can you not cast your youtube app to the tvs buil-in chromecast, start playing the video you want but adjust the platyback speed of the video on your phone for the tvs chromecast to take notice of?

Damn this picture of my 55 inches xh95 it's so amazing!!!
I would buy another 65 inches xh95 but not support 1440p and vrr stop me...

No. There is no such option in the youtube app when casting.

And please if someone can recommend any tv with same quality picture that support vrr and 1440p
I need 65 inches for living room . Also I need that feature's cause I connect my pc

Facing muy first 'issue' with the TV - trying to play contact though the native youtube app - I'm getting sound but no video?

I don't mean casting your whole phone screen, I mean literally just casting the content of the app. Can you not cast your youtube app to the tvs buil-in chromecast, start playing the video you want but adjust the platyback speed of the video on your phone for the tvs chromecast to take notice of?
Oh I get you
Yh casting works amazingly well. But still the same thing it opens the native YouTube app so you can't adjust the playback speeds

Couple of in use shots. The Martian is a great way to show off the set.

59578905-9FE5-4B3E-B3BD-BDDCE20BB108.jpeg

using it with my DJI controller was an important reason for NOT getting an OLED for this room, particularly since it was almost double when at I eventually pid for this

548085D9-2DE7-4AFC-AD5E-3B255FDC2B50.jpeg

I think the room finally has enough screens though

A07E1CF3-147A-4415-96C3-5B0A41CDB8C6.jpeg

must say, quite impressed with how well the inbuilt Plex handles playback of my UHD 4K rips. Plex on AppleTV4K doesn’t playback everything without transcoding....some audio requires it still. Infuse of course plays everything without issue but so does the Plex app. It’s probably not quite as responsive as the app on the ATV but it’s great to know it’s not a requirement. It could also partly be down to how well the Synology NAS serves up media too, being the most recent/up to date chipset

Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow setting this up :laugh:

IMG_0596.JPG

So, I've never been that happy with my Sony 65 XG80. I mean, it's good but not great. And it misses out on HDR on HDMI 4 which the PS4 pro is plugged into. (1 is Sky, 2 ATV, 3 is Sonos Arc).

And, of course, no Atmos passthrough to the Arc as no eArc.

So, would this be a good swap?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom