Sony XH9505 Owners Thread

DaliDave

Anyone ever done a comparison using a Roku Streaming Stick + with the BT sports app and a monthly pass compared to the V6 ultimate BT sports channel? Same with the Nowtv app + boost HD compared to Sky,Sports HD on the V6?

button_sw

After going through all that with the Panasonic I'm not surprised you gave up on it. Did it have banding and tint viewable in content as well as the other issues you mentioned?

The Panasonic HZ 1000 is one of the alternatives I am considering. My usage would be predominantly in a dark room, hence why I am considering OLED too.

The XH9505 has certainly turned my head, which is why I am researching it currently. Does your set have any tint, banding or DSE?

That's good know and sounds good enough for me.
If your main viewing is in a dark room the OLED is probably the better choice, purely on the fact that OLEDS can produce true blacks and specular highlights without blooming.

The XH950 in a dark room with no bias lighting is a definite step down but that's to be expected and setting expectations can sometimes be the best solution. Add bias lighting and then the XH950 is 95% there with an OLED in a dark environment and the positive's are in the Sony's favour. Don't get me wrong, OLED's are great TV's and produce a quality picture but just above black they start to fall apart and I had noticeable banding on both my panels in dark scenes. It's annoying and sort of makes me wonder why calibrate am OLED as there are different shades in the bands. The frame skipping also done my head in on the Panasonic which I still don't think has been fixed, the Sony's processing and motion is way ahead of the Panasonic EZ952 I had.

But........If you get a good OLED with no noticeable banding and tinting then that is the perfect TV. Unfortunately the chances of getting a good one seem like a lottery and they change from month to month with the pixel refresher / panel maintenance. If you look at "The_Tech_Giant" videos on YouTube his LG CX looks totally different on a 5% slide after every pixel refresh which just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not hear to slag OLED's off, they are great TV's but have too many flaws in my opinion and I'm not sure about the longevity of the panels with 1000s hrs of use.

The Sony XH950 is a stunning TV but if most of you viewing is in the dark I would say that bias lighting is a necessity (I have the white luminoodle strip) and this TV blows me away with the quality of the picture. I've just watched episode 1 of the new season of the Crown on Netflix and boy, the picture this TV produces in Dolby Vision HDR is actually breathtaking at times, its a beautifully shot programme.

To answer your other question, my set has no banding tinting or DSE that I can see. I watch a lot of football and the panning shots are clear and smooth. I think Sony TV's are very good for DSE and remember, if you get banding on an OLED it does show up in football as well as low light scenes.

Since I've had the XH950, I don't feel like I'm missing out not having an OLED again, yes its different technology and there is mild blooming and light leakage into the black bars but get some bias lighting and it will be next to unnoticeable.

Jord94

Standard Member
the HDMI ports on my unit seem to be not working now

display randomly shut off when playing PS5 and now Ports 1 and 4 completely don't work and 2 and 3 seem to pick and choose when to display anything

tried 3 different HDMI cables including 2.1 which came with the PS5, a 2.0 and an older cable and getting the same results

think its gonna have to be an exchange at JL now, only had it a couple weeks

Gav400

Standard Member
the HDMI ports on my unit seem to be not working now

display randomly shut off when playing PS5 and now Ports 1 and 4 completely don't work and 2 and 3 seem to pick and choose when to display anything

tried 3 different HDMI cables including 2.1 which came with the PS5, a 2.0 and an older cable and getting the same results

think its gonna have to be an exchange at JL now, only had it a couple weeks
Have you tried a restart? Iv had a number of issues / bugs that have been resolved by doing this. Putting it down to loads of fannying around with settings, apps etc.

Mallett94

Anyone ever done a comparison using a Roku Streaming Stick + with the BT sports app and a monthly pass compared to the V6 ultimate BT sports channel? Same with the Nowtv app + boost HD compared to Sky,Sports HD on the V6?
BT Sport HD through virgin box is 1080i50, 1920x1080 at 25fps but filmed/delivered at 50i. This means that rather than filming 25 full frames per second, it was filmed as 50 fields per second where each field is half of a full frame.

BT Sport HD through the BT Sport app is 1080p50, 1920x1080 at 50 progressive (full/ frames per second. Therefore, the hd channels are clearly better through the app than through any broadcast means, imho.

BT Sport Ultimate through V6 box is 4K SDR, 3840*2160p50 - 50 full progressive frames per second at 4K in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range). Through the BT Sport app on a supported device, the BT Sport Ultimate channel can either be the same as V6 box e.g. AppleTV4K 4K SDR 50fps, some devices can do 4K HDR (High Dynamic Range) 50fps, like the native app on the TV, the Roku strea.ing stick + app, the Amazon fire TV stick 4k app, Chromecast Ultra, new Chromecast etc.

The 4K HDR 50fps stream is the optimal way to watch the BT Sport Ultimate stream.

Also on some supported mobiles you can watch the BT Sport Ultimate channel is 1080p 50fps HDR. You can also force this on ATV4K by setting the box to 1080p SDR 50hz with match dynamic range turned off. However I can't see why anyone would want to do this because 4K SDR 50fps > 1080p 50fps HDR IMO.

Hope this helps.

Clearandcolour

If your main viewing is in a dark room the OLED is probably the better choice, purely on the fact that OLEDS can produce true blacks and specular highlights without blooming.

The XH950 in a dark room with no bias lighting is a definite step down but that's to be expected and setting expectations can sometimes be the best solution. Add bias lighting and then the XH950 is 95% there with an OLED in a dark environment and the positive's are in the Sony's favour. Don't get me wrong, OLED's are great TV's and produce a quality picture but just above black they start to fall apart and I had noticeable banding on both my panels in dark scenes. It's annoying and sort of makes me wonder why calibrate am OLED as there are different shades in the bands. The frame skipping also done my head in on the Panasonic which I still don't think has been fixed, the Sony's processing and motion is way ahead of the Panasonic EZ952 I had.

But........If you get a good OLED with no noticeable banding and tinting then that is the perfect TV. Unfortunately the chances of getting a good one seem like a lottery and they change from month to month with the pixel refresher / panel maintenance. If you look at "The_Tech_Giant" videos on YouTube his LG CX looks totally different on a 5% slide after every pixel refresh which just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not hear to slag OLED's off, they are great TV's but have too many flaws in my opinion and I'm not sure about the longevity of the panels with 1000s hrs of use.

The Sony XH950 is a stunning TV but if most of you viewing is in the dark I would say that bias lighting is a necessity (I have the white luminoodle strip) and this TV blows me away with the quality of the picture. I've just watched episode 1 of the new season of the Crown on Netflix and boy, the picture this TV produces in Dolby Vision HDR is actually breathtaking at times, its a beautifully shot programme.

To answer your other question, my set has no banding tinting or DSE that I can see. I watch a lot of football and the panning shots are clear and smooth. I think Sony TV's are very good for DSE and remember, if you get banding on an OLED it does show up in football as well as low light scenes.

Since I've had the XH950, I don't feel like I'm missing out not having an OLED again, yes its different technology and there is mild blooming and light leakage into the black bars but get some bias lighting and it will be next to unnoticeable.
Did you try or have a chance to compare the sony against a samsung Q90t/Q95T ? Here in my town the shops don't show the sony9505 because they say there's no demand for sony tv's in this area ! And I read in "professional"reviews that the samsung is the better tv.. The sony 9505 should be compared to the samsung q80T.. ? And I like the stand of the samsung better. And I read that the black bars and blooming is better and the ant-reflection..
But in hte samsung q90t line on the forum I read some people having bad unifority screeens

DaliDave

Thanks again Mallet94, I'm just finding the v6 sports pics look a little washed out and soft.
Quite a common V6 complaint?

Jord94

Standard Member
Have you tried a restart? Iv had a number of issues / bugs that have been resolved by doing this. Putting it down to loads of fannying around with settings, apps etc.
you mean a full factory reset?

may try it, but im doubtful given it seems the ports themselves are toast, just displays no signal input when the PS5 (and tried PS4 and same result) are connected

Pokeraladin

I am about to purchase the 75XH95, to bad that here in Norway this model in this size wont be ready for delivery before the end of january, and that is a long, long wait...

I just have a question for you guys who have this set allready, anyone that have wall-mounted the XH95? I have red some comments that this tv is not that thin as many of the other tvs on the marked, and quite bulky, and as far as I have noticed the cables are sticking out from the tv on the side? Anyone who have some good recommendations how to get a nice wall mounted XH95 up on the wall, and anyone out there having any pictures? I would realy have appreciate it:)
I dont find it any thicker that the Samsung ks7000 i came from. Suppose it has to be a bit thicker for those side speakers. I just stuck it on a slim bracket. Looks fine to me

Attachments

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's what I find appealing about the OLED's.

The XH950 in a dark room with no bias lighting is a definite step down but that's to be expected and setting expectations can sometimes be the best solution. Add bias lighting and then the XH950 is 95% there with an OLED in a dark environment and the positive's are in the Sony's favour.
95% close to an OLED with bias lighting is very impressive.

I'm not against using bias lighting. In fact I'm quite keen on getting some to spare my eyes of fatigue.

I recall from one of the podcasts that Phil mentioned this set can come close to a reference level monitor. That statement is what made me sit up and pay attention to this set. :D Your further comments have only made it all the more enticing, lol.

Don't get me wrong, OLED's are great TV's and produce a quality picture but just above black they start to fall apart and I had noticeable banding on both my panels in dark scenes. It's annoying and sort of makes me wonder why calibrate am OLED as there are different shades in the bands. The frame skipping also done my head in on the Panasonic which I still don't think has been fixed, the Sony's processing and motion is way ahead of the Panasonic EZ952 I had.
I've read up a lot on the various issues OLED's can have and am familiar with each manufacturers sets foibles.

Funnily enough, the Panasonic OLED's are regarded as the best at handling near blacks now, but the stuttering issue with them has always given me cause for concern. It's hard to gauge that particular issue as some say they never notice it, while for others, like yourself, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The panel lottery seems pretty bad this year, but I would be willing to try one OLED just to see what I got. I can't be bothered with constant returns though. Besides that whole process is even more difficult now given all the electrical retailers are shut where I live again.

I am familiar with big Paul's channel on Youtube and have been following it for a while now. I'll need to rewatch his 5% slide vids to remind myself of their differences. Isn't the panel supposed to get better after each refresh?

I didn't think for one minute you were slagging off OLED's. Merely sharing your honest experience with the issues you encountered with your previous set compared to your new one. That is much appreciated. :smashin:

You've certianly made a great case for this set mate, lol.

Ah yes, DV, I was going to ask about that too. Is this set fairly consistent with it or a bit hit and miss?

More positives, brilliant! My number one peeve is tint. I just can't stand it. I can accept a certain amount of banding and DSE, but the less the better.

I know there is no perfect TV, but this set definitely ticks a lot of important boxes for me.

jim_is_ere

After going through all that with the Panasonic I'm not surprised you gave up on it. Did it have banding and tint viewable in content as well as the other issues you mentioned?

The Panasonic HZ 1000 is one of the alternatives I am considering. My usage would be predominantly in a dark room, hence why I am considering OLED too.

The XH9505 has certainly turned my head, which is why I am researching it currently. Does your set have any tint, banding or DSE?

That's good know and sounds good enough for me.

I'm currently trying to decide between the XH9505 and the LG CX, plus a few others. As you own both sets, can I ask you which one you'd recommend for all round performance?

Does game mode look washed out at all when in HDR on the XH9505?

I'd value any feedback you could give me. :)
I have only played a couple of games on the XH95, so it’s difficult me to give you a balanced opinion ....what I can tell you is the picture does not look washed out.

My initial thoughts are that gaming picture is on a par with the CX , so if you‘re not bothered with hdmi 2.1 then the choice is easy, as you can get this TV for a lot less money

The main plus point for me today is motion handling is far better on the Sony! Very impressed watching the football on match of the day this evening!

Mallett94

I have only played a couple of games on the XH95, so it’s difficult me to give you a balanced opinion ....what I can tell you is the picture does not look washed out.

My initial thoughts are that gaming picture is on a par with the CX , so if you‘re not bothered with hdmi 2.1 then the choice is easy, as you can get this TV for a lot less money

The main plus point for me today is motion handling is far better on the Sony! Very impressed watching the football on match of the day this evening!
What was your source for MOTD and what Motion settings did you plump for, out of interest?

Mallett94

Thanks again Mallet94, I'm just finding the v6 sports pics look a little washed out and soft.
Quite a common V6 complaint?
I'm not sure how much it is to get the BT Sport channels as part of a Virgin package however, unless you really need to record content from those channels, I would recommend ditching it through the V6 box and just getting a monthly BT Sport pass directly with BT and accessing it via the app for the best quality.

You can actually have two people watching the app at the same time on the same account so theoretically you could share it with someone else in your family...

I and I'm sure some others here will be interested to know what you end up doing. Perhaps for 1 month it might be worth running both side by side so you can compare and contrast? :)

Pokeraladin

I'm not sure how much it is to get the BT Sport channels as part of a Virgin package however, unless you really need to record content from those channels, I would recommend ditching it through the V6 box and just getting a monthly BT Sport pass directly with BT and accessing it via the app for the best quality.

You can actually have two people watching the app at the same time on the same account so theoretically you could share it with someone else in your family...

I and I'm sure some others here will be interested to know what you end up doing. Perhaps for 1 month it might be worth running both side by side so you can compare and contrast? :)
Is the BT app available on this tv?

Staffman

Novice Member
I would appreciate some guidance. I am stuck between choosing a 55 XH9505 or a 55 A8. The price difference isn't an issue but as I watch mainly sports will there be any discernable difference in the picture quality as they both have the same processor? Will be using in conjunction with a multi sat system and usual streaming apps. Was leaning towards the A8 but am now having second thoughts as do have a fear of burn in and possible banding and feeling I might be blinded by initially assuming oled is "better" whereas the XH9505 seems to tick all the boxes for me. Is there generally better uniformity in the led panels? Just looking for some reassurance and any advice would be appreciated.

Pokeraladin

Retention from apple tv on lg oled i saw posted on redit. I was going to get the cx buy went for the 9505 because I work 6 days a week and don't trust the kids and the wife to be responsible 😁. You shouldn't have to baby a 3k tv. And if burn in is that rare why won't they cover it under warranty..

Attachments

zubeir

I would appreciate some guidance. I am stuck between choosing a 55 XH9505 or a 55 A8. The price difference isn't an issue but as I watch mainly sports will there be any discernable difference in the picture quality as they both have the same processor? Will be using in conjunction with a multi sat system and usual streaming apps. Was leaning towards the A8 but am now having second thoughts as do have a fear of burn in and possible banding and feeling I might be blinded by initially assuming oled is "better" whereas the XH9505 seems to tick all the boxes for me. Is there generally better uniformity in the led panels? Just looking for some reassurance and any advice would be appreciated.
This is a recent article, as much as I love OLEDs I still can't take a risk for that kind of money.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
hmmm.. may I ask to explain the physics of the process (in terms of perception) using bias lighting?
It helps to physically reduce the strain on your eyes from having a bright television in a dark room and also plays tricks in a good way when it comes to how you perceive the black levels. This article does a good job of explaining/showing it.https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bias-lighting-for-tv/

jim_is_ere

What was your source for MOTD and what Motion settings did you plump for, out of interest?
Source was BBC HD on Sky Q....picture wasn’t great, but was impressed with motion
Used the picture settings given by RTINGS and set smoothness and clearness to 1.

Please share any recommended settings to get the most out of the TV 😎

Dave-Gray

Source was BBC HD on Sky Q....picture wasn’t great, but was impressed with motion
Used the picture settings given by RTINGS and set smoothness and clearness to 1.

Please share any recommended settings to get the most out of the TV 😎
Interesting I may have play with the motion settings. I've got them all turned off as I can't stand any hint of SOE. With motion turned off MOTD still looked really good,

reklor

Anyone else using this TV with PS5 and underwhelmed with the HDR impact especially on the UI? I’ve been having a fiddle (🥴) because I thought everything just looked quite flat and dull....

I have found if you change “live colour” to high the whole picture comes alive - not just the colour! It’s a hell of a lot more vivid at looks how I would imagine it should look. I wonder if it’s a bug either with the TV or PS5 HDR implementation?

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Anyone else using this TV with PS5 and underwhelmed with the HDR impact especially on the UI? I’ve been having a fiddle (🥴) because I thought everything just looked quite flat and dull....

I have found if you change “live colour” to high the whole picture comes alive - not just the colour! It’s a hell of a lot more vivid at looks how I would imagine it should look. I wonder if it’s a bug either with the TV or PS5 HDR implementation?
I don't have a PS5 but noticed the picture massively pops with live colour on high, although I also noticed it caused some detail to disappear in lighter areas of the picture like clouds for instance became solid white blobs and lost a lot of detail.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett