Sony XH9505 Owners Thread

Vwdan1985

Novice Member
Hi all, I'm considering the XH950 65" as my next TV

I've had a Panasonic OLED for the last couple of years and have had major issues with it, new panel after 8 months and now it needs a new panel again after 2 years!

After a bit of a fight with John Lewis (See the EZ952 Thread) I have received a full refund on purchase price and am on the look out for a new TV.

I've lost a lot of faith and confidence in the longevity of OLED's and am now considering this Sony TV, can I ask any owners of the XH950 what the genuine dark room performance is like? How dark is the black level etc. I know it's not on a par with OLED but night time viewing is important to me although the usage is very varied.

How does the XH950 compare to a Pioneer Kuro 500A? I still have two of these going strong and the picture is superb
Hi there, I have the 55, in my earlier posts I was a bit disappointed with it, however having talked to people on here it's actually me at fault. I've had it a couple of weeks now and can't praise it enough. I use mine for xbox/ps4, the other half uses it for disney/netflix. It works perfectly for both situations. With regards to blacks, I watched the opening scene of stranger things where its looking at a star lit sky and was amazed by how clear and sharp/ black it was. I've also watched a few 4k videos on YouTube, there is one of a lambo supertrofeo in America, picture again is unreal. Love the sound on it aswell, obviously it's not the same as a sound bar/ home cinema but very good just on its own. There is quite a few settings that can be played with. I read a review (can't remember where) that said this TV is the nearest you will get to an oled (not sure if that's true as I don't own an oled to compare it too). One of the best things aswell is that the remote lights up, so if you are in a dark room then it's quite easy to navigate. Hope this helps.

Clearandcolour

Standard Member
Hi all, I'm considering the XH950 65" as my next TV

I've had a Panasonic OLED for the last couple of years and have had major issues with it, new panel after 8 months and now it needs a new panel again after 2 years!

After a bit of a fight with John Lewis (See the EZ952 Thread) I have received a full refund on purchase price and am on the look out for a new TV.

I've lost a lot of faith and confidence in the longevity of OLED's and am now considering this Sony TV, can I ask any owners of the XH950 what the genuine dark room performance is like? How dark is the black level etc. I know it's not on a par with OLED but night time viewing is important to me although the usage is very varied.

How does the XH950 compare to a Pioneer Kuro 500A? I still have two of these going strong and the picture is superb
watch the channel from this youtuber..

button_sw

Hi there, I have the 55, in my earlier posts I was a bit disappointed with it, however having talked to people on here it's actually me at fault. I've had it a couple of weeks now and can't praise it enough. I use mine for xbox/ps4, the other half uses it for disney/netflix. It works perfectly for both situations. With regards to blacks, I watched the opening scene of stranger things where its looking at a star lit sky and was amazed by how clear and sharp/ black it was. I've also watched a few 4k videos on YouTube, there is one of a lambo supertrofeo in America, picture again is unreal. Love the sound on it aswell, obviously it's not the same as a sound bar/ home cinema but very good just on its own. There is quite a few settings that can be played with. I read a review (can't remember where) that said this TV is the nearest you will get to an oled (not sure if that's true as I don't own an oled to compare it too). One of the best things aswell is that the remote lights up, so if you are in a dark room then it's quite easy to navigate. Hope this helps.
Hi Vwdan1985

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's really helped my make my mind up actually. I think I'll go for the 65" XH950 as my next TV but will wait for the price to drop a little, I think if I see this TV drop to £1699 I'll probably bite as I'll also get my JL partner discount which will take it down to just under £1500 :thumbsup:

I'm in a lucky position to have 2 Kuro's, so have the 2nd one back in the living room where the OLED was which means I don't have to rush into getting the Sony.

In the evenings I watch the Kuro and think, boy! Why do I need a new TV when this one is so good?? I'll enjoy it again in the living room before I get the Sony, the extra size of the Sony will be nice upgrade.

button_sw

watch the channel from this youtuber..
Thanks for this, I actually am subscribed to Patrik's channel as I've known him from the AVS Kuro days regarding resetting and tweaking. I have not seen any of his videos for a while so didn't know he purchased a XH950, it's a perfect comparison for me.

As someone else who adores the Kuro I'm encouraged that he seems to like the Sony very much, that's good enough for me as he really knows his stuff especially with the KRP's.

button_sw

Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered the 65" XH950! John Lewis's refund for my broken EZ952 has cleared in my bank so it was burning a hole in my pocket :D

With my JL Partner Discount I managed to get the 65" for only £1650, I think that's too good to turn down. It arrives on Wednesday so once it's setup and I've had a good play with it I'll give you my initial impressions of it.

Once it has a few hundred hours on it I'll get @Canary_Jules round to calibrate it and hopefully I'll have more luck with the Sony than I had with my Panasonic OLED

Stein67

Good luck with it mate - that's a great price. I'm trying to get some sort of a deal on the 65 XH95 too.......so fingers crossed!!

Stein67

Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered the 65" XH950! John Lewis's refund for my broken EZ952 has cleared in my bank so it was burning a hole in my pocket :D

With my JL Partner Discount I managed to get the 65" for only £1650, I think that's too good to turn down. It arrives on Wednesday so once it's setup and I've had a good play with it I'll give you my initial impressions of it.

Once it has a few hundred hours on it I'll get @Canary_Jules round to calibrate it and hopefully I'll have more luck with the Sony than I had with my Panasonic OLED
Got it myself for £1679!! Well pleased and going to collect it myself on Tuesday.

Volodia70

Standard Member
Hi everyone.

I live in Italy, I'm new in this forum and I'd like to change my TV (Sony HX855, 46'') for a new Sony, oled Ag9 or new full array led XH95, 65''.

I know that oled is a step over, but it's very expensive and I'm afraid about burn-in problems too (is it a real problem in your opinion?). On the other hand, Sony XH95 seems a very good product.

I don't use the tv for gaming, only watching films ecc.

In your opinion, should I go for an oled or the last full array led can be the right choice for me?

At this moment, in Italy there's 25% off on Ag9 65'', 2600 euro cash... - not bad at all! -, 2000 euro for XH95 65''.

I've no problems about lights in the room or reflections from windows ecc., as you can see in the picture I've attached.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

francesco

setup 2020.jpeg

Tonycv51

Could someone with one of these confirm the UK catch up apps work with youview turned off, unlike older Sony android tvs. And are the apps pre loaded in Sony Select or downloaded from the Play Store (excl My5 which is in the play store for all android tvs)

Morden

Could someone with one of these confirm the UK catch up apps work with youview turned off, unlike older Sony android tvs. And are the apps pre loaded in Sony Select or downloaded from the Play Store (excl My5 which is in the play store for all android tvs)
Unless you use youview, all4 and itvplayer will not work.

And bbc iplayer is in sony select.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Digital Trends just put up their review of the X950H (XH9505).

That's a few times now the darker corners have been mentioned. Wonder how noticeable it is. My 55HX853 has slightly darker corners but mainly off axis.

Looks a good TV though and definitely on my list.