Sony XH9505 Owners Thread

DavidT

Its the premium package were on, top tier. I'll log into the netflix app tomorrow through the sony gui and see if it's any better, are there any settings that I should manually change to allow dolby vision please?
There are no settings to change on the tv, this tv needs nothing changing from default except the often recommended change to "custom" picture. The tv will automatically detect 4k, HDR, Dolby Vision and HLG.

Petey20

4k pack from netflix? I have to download an add on? Thw plan I'm on is premium so I should be able to watch the highest settings. I'm using netflix through my amazon fire stick. Is the sony user interface with the netflix app just as good or the same as the app on the amazon fire stick then? I put on the david attenborough life on earth program and clicked the little information button on the tele remote and it said it was displaying in 1080p Hdr10 but when I tried to select a picture format from the list dolby vision want there just vivid, game etc? I recently set this up as custom.settings has that done anything to stop me choosing dolby vision?
Just guessing... but maybe your fire stick doesn't support Dolby Vision?

Definitely just use the apps on the TV though. They're so quick and easy to use on this TV there's no need for a fire stick really.

V1mFueg0

Well, I knew it was too good to be true: I have the dreaded Thrips. Genuinely hadn't noticed any until yesterday - I now have one in the top left and one at the bottom of the screen, just to the right of the Sony logo, which no amount of tapping seems able to dislodge. Still, I feel I've gotten off lightly compared to last year's infestation!

Been thinking about this though... Is it rational to be 'bothered' by this issue when, from viewing distance, these things are to all intents and purposes invisible? My heart tells me no, it's not rational, yet I can't help feeling peeved (and that my TV has been sullied) purely due to the knowledge that they're 'there'.

Hey ho. Well, for the moment I guess there's nothing to be lost from going down the warranty route and seeing if I can get another swap-out. If no joy, I'm getting an OLED - and it won't be a Sony!

Hanny4eva

Standard Member
Your correct, i had the same feeling this morning, we have a new lite fire stock and an older original fire stick. We were using the lite and that doesn't support Dolby Vision, gone through the TV instead and Dolby vision works on Disney and Netflix, thanks guys!

DavidT

Your correct, i had the same feeling this morning, we have a new lite fire stock and an older original fire stick. We were using the lite and that doesn't support Dolby Vision, gone through the TV instead and Dolby vision works on Disney and Netflix, thanks guys!
The lite and standard Firetv sticks do not support 4k.

Petey20

Well, I knew it was too good to be true: I have the dreaded Thrips. Genuinely hadn't noticed any until yesterday - I now have one in the top left and one at the bottom of the screen, just to the right of the Sony logo, which no amount of tapping seems able to dislodge. Still, I feel I've gotten off lightly compared to last year's infestation!

Been thinking about this though... Is it rational to be 'bothered' by this issue when, from viewing distance, these things are to all intents and purposes invisible? My heart tells me no, it's not rational, yet I can't help feeling peeved (and that my TV has been sullied) purely due to the knowledge that they're 'there'.

Hey ho. Well, for the moment I guess there's nothing to be lost from going down the warranty route and seeing if I can get another swap-out. If no joy, I'm getting an OLED - and it won't be a Sony!

Personally, if I didn't game I don't think I would ever notice them in mine. Its only when I get close to the screen they become very obvious and then can't be unseen.

Think I would wait a few months before calling Sony for a swap out though just incase it happens again.

Its not just a Sony issue either, my Samsung has 4 living inside it. Sony are probably the best out of all the manufacturers for dealing with this.

zubeir

Those with thrips issues, do you have house plants?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

Sorry to hear, it seems inevitable that these critters will get in to some televisions. I've mentioned a few times but the last engineer I had out said he has seen them in all makes and models, including OLED so although it should be much less likely an OLED won't be immune. Unless my television is infested with them or I can actually see one or more from our seating position then I'm not sure I would bother now, especially if the television is a good one in relation to DSE etc. I just don't check mine and might be living in bliss, but it is very wrong that such expensive products can have this issue.

Last edited:

jouster

Whilst I appreciate how annoying your situation can be; won’t this be an issue for any TV you buy? And if going for a warranty replacement, wouldn’t it be worth waiting until it does become and issue from a distance, as surely they won’t be swapping a tv for you every time one of two bugs appear.

not sure of the actual way around this going forward though

zubeir

Whilst I appreciate how annoying your situation can be; won’t this be an issue for any TV you buy? And if going for a warranty replacement, wouldn’t it be worth waiting until it does become and issue from a distance, as surely they won’t be swapping a tv for you every time one of two bugs appear.

The thrips are attracted to blue more than other colours. If they are in the house, a tip is get sticky blue tape on card. The other option is to get stick double sided tape on a blue card. put it near the open windows in summer.

Petey20

The thrips are attracted to blue more than other colours. If they are in the house, a tip is get sticky blue tape on card. The other option is to get stick double sided tape on a blue card. put it near the open windows in summer.
I had blue ambient lighting around my TV so that probably contributed to my problems. Haven't had anymore thrips join the party in my TV since I removed it in May.

superleeds27

I checked mine last night and couldn't see anything.

Then saying that the TV hasn't really been on in this heat. The room it's in gets ridiculously hot, so the last thing I wanted was more heat from that and the PS5!

Did have one or two stuck to my arm today when I went for a walk through a fairly open fielded area. Was wearing a blue top too, so what zubeir above said about blue could be true!

Edit: I think it's a case of if you know you get them, then you're always going to be prone to getting them. If you rarely or never get them, then chances are you should be okay?

Had my previous Samsung with no issues, have a 27" monitor that's been on 9-5 most days for the last 4 years, no issues there either.

Petey20

I know an engineer has said they can get inside OLEDs... but I can not find a single complaint online about this issue from anyone with an OLED.
Plently of forum users online that previously suffered with thrips, no longer do since they switched to OLED. So for me I have to assume the chances of thrips getting In to an OLED has to be extremely slim (maybe even a fault with the TV needed). So OLED is the way forward for me.

superleeds27

I know an engineer has said they can get inside OLEDs... but I can not find a single complaint online about this issue from anyone with an OLED.
Plently of forum users online that previously suffered with thrips, no longer do since they switched to OLED. So for me I have to assume the chances of thrips getting In to an OLED has to be extremely slim (maybe even a fault with the TV needed). So OLED is the way forward for me.
That's maybe the answer then.

If you live in an area where this is an issue, then OLED. If you're in an area where it isn't an issue, then personal preference.

zubeir

I had blue ambient lighting around my TV so that probably contributed to my problems. Haven't had anymore thrips join the party in my TV since I removed it in May.
Ah, that's the reason why. Basically, you created an unlicensed Thrips nightclub with the ambient lighting.

Petey20

That's maybe the answer then.

If you live in an area where this is an issue, then OLED. If you're in an area where it isn't an issue, then personal preference.
Thats the thing though. A lot of my family live in the same village and have never had this issue. Or noticed this issue anyway.
Maybe I should start visiting them all more and inspect their TVs 😂.

All the other TVs in my house are old plasmas so I think they're pretty thrip proof as well as never had an issue with them.

Lee Moles

John Lewis are refusing to comply with their 28 day price guarantee and wont honour the 65" price of £1299 on my recent purchase. This is the My John Lewis voucher. Apparently in house promotions don't count.:(
What’s stopping you returning it then and re-buying it at the lower price?

superleeds27

Thats the thing though. A lot of my family live in the same village and have never had this issue. Or noticed this issue anyway.
Maybe I should start visiting them all more and inspect their TVs 😂.

All the other TVs in my house are old plasmas so I think they're pretty thrip proof as well as never had an issue with them.
Guessing they've all been talking and your thrips nightclub is the place to go? Haha.

Serious note though, I've said it so many times on here how bizarre it is or can be. Maybe they just haven't noticed?

V1mFueg0

Well, to address your first point the answer is: apparently not, for OLEDs (see other posts here).

Regarding getting it replaced, as I said, what's to lose by trying? I've already had a reply from Sony asking me to confirm my model & serial number(s), as well as a few general questions about the issue. One can hope that at some point in time manufacturers of LCD televisions might actually wake up to the fact that this is a real problem that's costing them dear and start trying to build preventative measures into their sets.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Well, to address your first point the answer is: apparently not, for OLEDs (see other posts here).

Regarding getting it replaced, as I said, what's to lose by trying? I've already had a reply from Sony asking me to confirm my model & serial number(s), as well as a few general questions about the issue. One can hope that at some point in time manufacturers of LCD televisions might actually wake up to the fact that this is a real problem that's costing them dear and start trying to build preventative measures into their sets.

That would be nice but I suspect it will more than likely just go the other way and be removed from Sony's list of things they will cover under warranty, as most other manufacturers have done.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky and ITV agree long term deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Yamaha launches YH-L700A headphone with 3D Sound Field