Sony XH9505 LED LCD TV Owners Thread

you mean the mic off light comes on even when you have google detection switched on....that's odd I thought the software issue was the fact you can't switch the light off in the menu ??

Yes nothing I've tried stops mine randomly turning on and then I can't turn it off.

Yeah I get you, I haven't had this issue now for about a year since I turned Google detection on which in its self can be a pain since it sometimes hears stuff on the TV and thinks its OK google...there is obviously a software issue here which Sony can't be bothered to rectify

These are my settings for gaming

Picture mode: Game
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 or 1
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Auto local dimming: high
x-tended dynamic range: high

Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour temp: neutral
Live colour: high

Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: off
digital noise reduction: off
random noise reduction: off
smooth gradation: low

Motion flow: off

Video signal: auto for all
Ignore adv. colour adjustment
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to rattle those off, will look forward to playing with them soon. I was toggling my PS5's HDR on/off last night and definitely see more light/vibrancy from the whites when HDR is off, I guess it's down to how the three-step HDR calibration is done? Anyway, thank you

Noticed them last week here. Not mega numbers but definitely seen some in our house. I'm deliberately not looking for them on/in my XH95 as I'll be well miffed if I get them in this set. Afterall I've had them in my last FOUR Sony LCDs. Ironically didn't get any in my cheap Hisense in the just shy of two years I had it.

I don't use Freeview so can't help there.
Thanks. Kind of annoying - actually make that very annoying! - that one can't fully relax and enjoy one's TV at this time of year due to the threat of the tiny black menace. Like I said, though, I've looked as close as I dare and haven't noticed any in the panel (yet) - my XF90 got at least a dozen last year. Maybe Sony revised the design to make them less susceptible, I really have no idea.

If I do get them I'm going OLED, I've decided. Can't be having this carry-on every Summer. Sure, there's the burn-in issue but from what I understand, it takes a LONG time for the cumulative effect to manifest (if it's going to) - by which time I'll probably want to replace the TV anyway (I've averaged about 2-3 years between sets since 2006).

These are my settings for gaming

Picture mode: Game
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 or 1
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Auto local dimming: high
x-tended dynamic range: high

Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour temp: neutral
Live colour: high

Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: off
digital noise reduction: off
random noise reduction: off
smooth gradation: low

Motion flow: off

Video signal: auto for all
Ignore adv. colour adjustment

Those settings look nigh on identical to Whisper Status 74's on Youtube. Strangely, this is the only video I've managed to find online with gaming settings specifically for the XH95 (well, Quantum TV has some but they're locked behind his paywall).

Yes nothing I've tried stops mine randomly turning on and then I can't turn it off.
The led has been off since I set the option in settings when I first received the tv but last night it came back on! Toggling the option on /off multiple times made no difference. This morning I thought I would have another go and the led is off again despite me not doing anything.

Thanks. Kind of annoying - actually make that very annoying! - that one can't fully relax and enjoy one's TV at this time of year due to the threat of the tiny black menace. Like I said, though, I've looked as close as I dare and haven't noticed any in the panel (yet) - my XF90 got at least a dozen last year. Maybe Sony revised the design to make them less susceptible, I really have no idea.

If I do get them I'm going OLED, I've decided. Can't be having this carry-on every Summer. Sure, there's the burn-in issue but from what I understand, it takes a LONG time for the cumulative effect to manifest (if it's going to) - by which time I'll probably want to replace the TV anyway (I've averaged about 2-3 years between sets since 2006).

Wow..your XF90 was infested! I first got them in my XD93 and then again in my XE93 and then again in my XF90 and I don't even live in a rural area. Let's hope Sony have done something to try and stop them getting between the screen. I've stopped looking for them a long time ago though as I don't want to change this set for a good 5-6 years if I can help it.

The led has been off since I set the option in settings when I first received the tv but last night it came back on! Toggling the option on /off multiple times made no difference. This morning I thought I would have another go and the led is off again despite me not doing anything.

This is/was my experience until I put the sticker over it.... :laugh:

Exactly what I've decided. For me the Thrips issue is guaranteed where as (hopefully) the burn in issue is a maybe.

Although my plan from buying from JL and getting their burn in protection has taken bit of a knock...
A lot of users on Hotukdeals that bought the XH95 from them recently have been reporting broken screens and JL have actually been getting funny with them wanting to return for a replacement 🙈.
Wish Richer Sounds would do their own warranty against burn in!

Exactly what I've decided. For me the Thrips issue is guaranteed where as (hopefully) the burn in issue is a maybe.

Although my plan from buying from JL and getting their burn in protection has taken bit of a knock...
A lot of users on Hotukdeals that bought the XH95 from them recently have been reporting broken screens and JL have actually been getting funny with them wanting to return for a replacement 🙈.

I don't think I'm as worried about burn-in as I used to be. I don't agree with everything he says but I do agree with Quantum's advice in his recent video on the issue, which is that if you get an OLED just ENJOY it. Use it as you please, don't 'baby' it because of burn-in worry. That's something I fully intend to do, should I end up having to go the OLED route (although hopefully my XH95 will remain unaffected by Thrips and I won't have to).

I doubt anyone will ever do a cast iron Burn in warranty as it's not classed as a fault by manufacturers who say it happens due to customer usage. Such a grey area though as some seem to get replacements and others are refused. I just wish they'd hurry up and get micro LEDs to the market at an affordable price.

Noticed them last week here. Not mega numbers but definitely seen some in our house. I'm deliberately not looking for them on/in my XH95 as I'll be well miffed if I get them in this set. Afterall I've had them in my last FOUR Sony LCDs. Ironically didn't get any in my cheap Hisense in the just shy of two years I had it.

I don't use Freeview so can't help there.

Next summer is their main season apparently so hopefully they're having a break from ruining expensive LCDs this year 😅.

EDIT - just remembered I've already had another addition to the family of thrips already living in my TV this year 🤦‍♂️😂.

Still find it weird how hit and miss these can be? Never had an issue with them at all here. I mean, we get the odd one here and there, but not to the extent that we're swamped and they're crawling all over everything.

Bizarre eh!

I doubt anyone will ever do a cast iron Burn in warranty as it's not classed as a fault by manufacturers who say it happens due to customer usage. Such a grey area though as some seem to get replacements and others are refused. I just wish they'd hurry up and get micro LEDs to the market at an affordable price.
I managed to get it in black and white from Domestic & General (JL added protection) that screen burn will be covered regardless of how it was caused. I agree though cant wait for Micro Led. Although I'm sure that'll end up having its own issues.

Still find it weird how hit and miss these can be? Never had an issue with them at all here. I mean, we get the odd one here and there, but not to the extent that we're swamped and they're crawling all over everything.

Bizarre eh!
I dont tend to notice them in the house at all.
I think they find their way in to mine at night when I have the window open and watch TV in the dark.

I find it funny the people complaining about bugs in their TV and having problems in the past.
You are currently on edge not enjoying the TV and worried about bugs. Why on earth did you not buy a OLED, if you had previous problems?

Also I have a old LG OLED 1080p and have left the screen on by accident on static pictures, I've not done anything different and still have no screen burn.

My next screen will be a 4k oled when my TV dies, if not maybe a bigger version of the XH9505 when the times comes.

This is/was my experience until I put the sticker over it.... :laugh:
i must just be lucky...have never had it on my 49...it was showing on the 65 for about a day, then I turned it all off via menus and it's never come back since....

Seems to be very random how it occurs so appreciate how annoying this is for some

Those settings look nigh on identical to Whisper Status 74's on Youtube. Strangely, this is the only video I've managed to find online with gaming settings specifically for the XH95 (well, Quantum TV has some but they're locked behind his paywall).

But you wouldn't want to go near Quantum's overly saturated, Vivid mode, max SOE everything, surely. :)

I find it funny the people complaining about bugs in their TV and having problems in the past.
You are currently on edge not enjoying the TV and worried about bugs. Why on earth did you not buy a OLED, if you had previous problems?

Also I have a old LG OLED 1080p and have left the screen on by accident on static pictures, I've not done anything different and still have no screen burn.

My next screen will be a 4k oled when my TV dies, if not maybe a bigger version of the XH9505 when the times comes.

You still get them in OLEDs according to the engineer who visited me. I really enjoy my set and don't worry about bugs, if they get in they get in and I'll deal with it then if needed. But if you are paying £1500+ for a new television and frequent these forums it stands to reason you might not want insects in your prized possession, or for the screen to remain burn in free.

You still get them in OLEDs according to the engineer who visited me. I really enjoy my set and don't worry about bugs, if they get in they get in and I'll deal with it then if needed. But if you are paying £1500+ for a new television and frequent these forums it stands to reason you might not want insects in your prized possession, or for the screen to remain burn in free.
So badly hoping your engineer was wrong about OLEDs 😫. Suppose this time next year I shall find out.

I think some are on their replacement sets for previous issues with Thrips. Others have the wrong room conditions/viewing habits for OLED.

I personally returned 2 XH95s for DSE but also knew from how bright they were, that Thrips would have likely been an issue in my room, so I think that was lingering in my mind as well.
So now I'm doing as you suggest and waiting for Black Friday to grab a 2021 OLED.

Hi all,
bought this television and had now its delivered, How does everyone turn the television on from standby mode? which specific button should i press on the remote? channel up/down? the green power button? sometimes nothing happens and it takes a long time for the screen to show...my old Sony Bravia from 2015 all i had to do was press up and it came on straight away.....any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Not a good start...... first post is how do I turn my new TV on! ;):D

Joking aside, I just use the power button on the remote as normal, the TV comes on within 2.5 seconds.

Hi all,
bought this television and had now its delivered, How does everyone turn the television on from standby mode? which specific button should i press on the remote? channel up/down? the green power button? sometimes nothing happens and it takes a long time for the screen to show...my old Sony Bravia from 2015 all i had to do was press up and it came on straight away.....any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.
Welcome @Hanny4eva
In my case I use both the green power button and also up/down without thinking. Sometimes the green power button doesn't seem to do it (I might not press it well enough) so pressing up/down does the trick. Also sometimes I'm not sure if the TV is turning on or not since the display is dark for a short few seconds.

Thank you both, i have pressed the power and channel up/down buttons and sometimes nothing seems to happen, might be that im used to my old tv coming on straight away when i did and i might be confusing this telly :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom