Sony XH9505 or LG BX?

CouzinD

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wanting to upgrade my main living room set, especially now my PS5 is here. My current 3 year old 50 inch Phillips 4K was decent at the time for its price, but I would like something more premium and with better HDR (and Dolby Vision)

Been researching for a few weeks, and I’ve gotten the opportunity via a work discount to get the LG OLED BX55 for £960. As much as OLED’s impress me, I do worry somewhat about the potential burn in, and the fact I do play a fair bit of FIFA, and watch Sports with a lot of on screen info etc.

The other option is the Sony XH9505 @ £999. Always liked Bravias, and even though I know its not HDMI 2.1, the reviews on it and it’s colour / HDR quality are very good.

Do I grab the OLED at that price, or play it safe with the non OLED Sony?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oled for gaming and seeing sports does not sound a good idea, too much green, the hud with the goals, time, teams, and so, risk of burn in think of it.

Go for the Sony but the XH90, not the XH95, because the XH90 yes does have hdmi 2.1, and it is important feature, XH95 does not have it.

If not, wait for the announcements on CES 2021?

Based on what I've read in all the guides and discussions here, the XH95's better picture quality (brighter, superior HDR, better processor) is likely a much bigger and more noticeable factor than HDMI 2.1 even for gamers. Other than it allowing VRR, how many games will actually run 4K @ 120 this generation? I'd go with the XH95 even as a gamer.

Have you seen: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

If you are a big fifa player, avoid OLED.

The Sony XH9505 is the stand out for value for money right now, but the Samsung models do have a single HDMI 2.1 port. The thing is, they are presently overpriced (need Q90T for similar picture quality overall to the Sony XH9505).

The lower tier XH9005 Sony has HDMI 2.1 ports, but isn't really a good choice due to worse HDR performance.

Have you seen: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

If you are a big fifa player, avoid OLED.

The Sony XH9505 is the stand out for value for money right now, but the Samsung models do have a single HDMI 2.1 port. The thing is, they are presently overpriced (need Q90T for similar picture quality overall to the Sony XH9505).

The lower tier XH9005 Sony has HDMI 2.1 ports, but isn't really a good choice due to worse HDR performance.

What do you class as a big fifa player?
I will be playing fifa possibly 2-3 hours a week, no more than an hour at a time..

What do you class as a big fifa player?
I will be playing fifa possibly 2-3 hours a week, no more than an hour at a time..
Using the FIFA 18 test by rtings.com mentioned in my guide here: OLED Burn In Risk

5000h is when they started to see burn in. 3h a week average play.
5000h/3h=1666 weeks
1666w/52w=32 years

3h a week is not much at all, double that usage and it becomes 16 years, double again 8 years and so on.

Cheers for the replies, guys.

Grabbed the Sony in the end. Not fussed with the 120hz option as I do have a gaming monitor upstairs that could be used for that if I want, was more swung on PQ and HDR.

Hopefully here by the weekend!

Any recommendations on the best calibration for it?

Thanks again.

You can copy some basic settings from rtings.com. Another user asked the same question in the above link.

You can copy some basic settings from rtings.com. Another user asked the same question in the above link.

Nice one, thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom