Sony XH9505 not compatible with Sky TV

mjwatkins

Novice Member
I have bought a Sony XH9505 55" from John Lewis, the picture is horrific, sport is almost unwatchable.

Any movement in the picture and it will ghost, blur and pixilate. Watching the football there is a blurred oval shape around any player that moves.

My parents have bought the exact same TV but in 49", playing through Sky Q box like me and have a great picture.

Technician has been out and can't find a fault. However he's said the picture is really poor.

John Lewis have said the TV can't upscale sky TV and they won't let me exchange even though they admit the picture is poor quality.

£1000 paid for a awful picture, anybone who can help?

Boris Blank

If you bought it online you can return it upto 14 days after delivery no questions asked, if shop bought then see the below policy.

John Lewis returns policy;

Returning a faulty item

If your product develops a fault within 30 days of purchase, please return with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Please disable any security features and remove your personal data.

After 30 days, we’ll repair or replace the product in accordance with the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

For online and telephone purchases, we'll refund the standard delivery charge if the full order is returned within 14 days.

Last edited:

Boris Blank

Unless the Technician already did this you can also try running the Sky box on another Tv just in case the Sky box is faulty and also try changing the HDMI cable for a different one in case the cable is damaged.

dawson001

I have the exact same issue however my problem was when I changed from sky HD to sky Q the picture became awful. Changed output to 1080p which has helped but nowhere near as good as my old HD box

SirStocky

Hmmm I was considering an xh95 but bought a refurb a85 instead. I watching sports often and last night it was great on the a85. Only problem is today I think I’ve found a minor issue with the panel and am likely to return it.

I was going to try an xh95 instead but sounds like that may not be a good idea if sky sports is a problem on the xh95

Gary65

I think it’s sky rather than the tv , I have sports on virgin and it’s shocking but by sports is much better

derek1999

What is the PQ when running a Blu-Ray? That would rule out the TV as an issue (if it's a decent picture).

Maybe run a Blu-Ray and then (if the image is good) connect the Sky Q box to the same HDMI input.

If the picture is crap, you know it's the box (not the TV).

What was your previous TV (HD?) - it might be that you could change the Sky Q to UHD and get a better picture.

Just some random late night thoughts :)

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I have bought a Sony XH9505 55" from John Lewis, the picture is horrific, sport is almost unwatchable.

Any movement in the picture and it will ghost, blur and pixilate. Watching the football there is a blurred oval shape around any player that moves.

My parents have bought the exact same TV but in 49", playing through Sky Q box like me and have a great picture.

Technician has been out and can't find a fault. However he's said the picture is really poor.

John Lewis have said the TV can't upscale sky TV and they won't let me exchange even though they admit the picture is poor quality.

You have the right to return but this sounds like a source issue. That said, if your parents have the same model and set up an have a better picture quality maybe it's an issue with your particular television.

I have the 65" model and sometimes notice issues with football but it's definitely due to poor source quality via Sky Q. There are so many issues being reported on the forums regarding sky Q.

Morden

Im not familiar with how sky handles video output, is it customisable?

I have a virgin v6 box and picture was poor compared to tvs tuner.

I was given recommended settings to use, where i had to set each output below 4k to be output native passed as source value with the tv doing the upscaling rather than the v6 box. E.g. 420, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc

Once 1080, had the tv upscaling, rather than the V6 box, it improved the picture greatly.

Does the sky box offer that sort of video output customisation?

bydandie

Im not familiar with how sky handles video output, is it customisable?

I have a virgin v6 box and picture was poor compared to tvs tuner.

I was given recommended settings to use, where i had to set each output below 4k to be output native passed as source value with the tv doing the upscaling rather than the v6 box. E.g. 420, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc

Once 1080, had the tv upscaling, rather than the V6 box, it improved the picture greatly.

Does the sky box offer that sort of video output customisation?
It allows the setting of the output but that then changes the options on what can be downloaded.

OP, which HDMI cable are you using?

bydandie

I use Amazon Basics on all my tvs and connected devices.
Never had any issues using them and they are inexpensive, even for longer cables.
Cheers, I meant the chap having the issues though. :)

You certainly don't need to pay a fortune for the right cables (most OEM are high speed now) but if the cable is an older HDMI then that could be causing the issue.

I don't have an issue with Sky Q and my TV (different panel but looks like the same innards), settings are for UHD on all the time.

Just a thought if the Sky cable is being used - what are the hardware versions for the Sky Q box the parents have and the box you have?

The v1 box (which I have) appears to have less issues than the v2 and v3 boxes. Check here for more details.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom