SONY XH950 VS SONY A8H

partalaki

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am between the 65'' XH950 or the 55'' A8H.
Both cost almost the same amount of money but the question is shall i choose the bigger size
of XH950 or the better picture quality of A8H?
I cant watch them side by side with my own eyes to decide as my local store dont have those two sets to compare them.
So besides the specs on paper can anyone tell me how close is the picture quality of those two TVs from any live experience?

I am between the 65'' XH950 or the 55'' A8H.
Both cost almost the same amount of money but the question is shall i choose the bigger size
of XH950 or the better picture quality of A8H?
I cant watch them side by side with my own eyes to decide as my local store dont have those two sets to compare them.
So besides the specs on paper can anyone tell me how close is the picture quality of those two TVs from any live experience?

Both are very good but as you know different technology. The XH95 is better for lighter rooms and gives a better HDR output but you will get some blooming. Whereas the OLED with give complete blacks and will be better for darker room viewing. Obviously there is the risk of burn in with the OLED but if you're a careful owner this shouldnt be an issue. I think the XH95 comes as close to OLED performance as an LCD can get in 2020. I'd always go with the larger screen as well. Having just gone up to 65" I wont ever want to drop back down in size.

Last edited:
I would not trade off screen size for technology and performance. Screen size is the very first parameter to choose IMHO. And if you have space and don't sit too close, just go for 65".

I own a 55' Tv now so i wanted not only a picture quality upgrade but a screen size upgrade too;)
So i will probably go for the 65'' XH950,thanks!!!
I just hope the picture quality ''gap'' is not so big overall between those two TVs.....
I will use it for 4k blurauy movies,PS5,'normal' Tv viewing

I cannot comment on the quality gap, but I had an XG95 (now being exchanged for an XH95 fir which I am waiting delivery) and these top lcd from Sony are very good, very rich in color and very bright. Unless you particularly care about blooming or you view tv extremely off center, you can't go wrong IMHO. And with peace of mind regarding burnin.

I have had Sony OLEDs and currently a Sony LCD (not the XH950). In my opinion the LCD is better for standard dynamic range broadcasts and general streaming where the lack of deepest blacks and limited back light control is more than offset by the increased light output in a normally lit living space. However with HDR content, OLED is far better as each pixel can be illuminated individually creating more detailed specular highlights which adds more depth and realism to the picture. The light output advantage for LCD is also reduced in the evening. One final note, I find that Sony LCD screens do not deal with light reflections as well as OLED screens and even with X-wide the viewing angles are far better on OLED.

I have had Sony OLEDs and currently a Sony LCD (not the XH950). In my opinion the LCD is better for standard dynamic range broadcasts and general streaming where the lack of deepest blacks and limited back light control is more than offset by the increased light output in a normally lit living space. However with HDR content, OLED is far better as each pixel can be illuminated individually creating more detailed specular highlights which adds more depth and realism to the picture. The light output advantage for LCD is also reduced in the evening. One final note, I find that Sony LCD screens do not deal with light reflections as well as OLED screens and even with X-wide the viewing angles are far better on OLED.

Which Sony LCD do you have?

65 XE9305, great picture as long as you are in the sweet spot, but not so great with HDR. An interesting test is to watch the Bourne Identity on Amazon Prime, it is currently available in both HD and UHD HDR, I prefer the HD version on my TV, maybe it's just a poor conversion.

65 XE9305, great picture as long as you are in the sweet spot, but not so great with HDR. An interesting test is to watch the Bourne Identity on Amazon Prime, it is currently available in both HD and UHD HDR, I prefer the HD version on my TV, maybe it's just a poor conversion.

I had an XE9305 for a year and it was a superb set. Almost as good as the XH95 but one area it certainly lacked was its HDR despite being able to get very bright. The XH95 really does give a superb quality HDR.

I'll have a watch of Bourne in UHD if I remember doesn't it have the grain effect that some producers insist on?

I had an XE9305 for a year and it was a superb set. Almost as good as the XH95 but one area it certainly lacked was its HDR despite being able to get very bright. The XH95 really does give a superb quality HDR.

I'll have a watch of Bourne in UHD if I remember doesn't it have the grain effect that some producers insist on?

Yes it does do insanely bright but maybe lacks dimming zones 72? compared with newer models. You're right the movie is quite grainy so probably not the best example but I find Dolby Vision generally quite dim on the 9305, as if they deliberately lower the ABL in order to make the highlights look brighter to justify having HDR. If the XH has HDR that actually improves the picture as well as all the other benefits - wider viewing, better motion, more accurate colour, responsive Android I would be tempted to upgrade - if the black levels are as good?

Yes it does do insanely bright but maybe lacks dimming zones 72? compared with newer models. You're right the movie is quite grainy so probably not the best example but I find Dolby Vision generally quite dim on the 9305, as if they deliberately lower the ABL in order to make the highlights look brighter to justify having HDR. If the XH has HDR that actually improves the picture as well as all the other benefits - wider viewing, better motion, more accurate colour, responsive Android I would be tempted to upgrade - if the black levels are as good?

I think the XH95 actually has fewer dimming zones but the algorithms and newer processors and tech seem to be able to produce a much better viewing experience, especially in HDR. I'd say the black levels are as good but it's been a few years since I've had the XE9305. The XH95 definitely has many more benefits as you've listed, maybe treat yourself Black Friday onwards.

Have been looking for this thread topic for a while.

Trying to weigh up 65 inch Sony A8H OLED vs 65 inch Sony XH 9505 LED

I love watching films but now seems to be mainly (HD) netflix and amazon prime. Don't own a bluray anymore. I'm not a gamer but envisage buying my kids a console one day (but they are only 7 + 5) so HDMI 2.1 is not a requirement.

My current TV is a rubbish 15 year old LG 42LK530T through a Yamaha RX 2065. Anything is an improvement. Since having kids, I don't really know what is what and dont know what HDR content is, where to get it nor Dolby Atmos etc. But I will be willing to increase my subs costs for better grade content. Might even consider getting a new Bluray player to see what the kit can really do too.

The TV is for my "Home cinema" which is destined for the Front Lounge (East facing) which gets the sun in the morning so is generally a dark room during my TV watching hours from lunch time onwards.

The sofa seating will be approx 12-14 feet from the wall. The viewing essentially crosses the room with the fireplace on the left but there's a big space with a swivel Eames Chair and foot rest in front.

I don't think I need the sound of the Sony A9G because I have the AV set up being set up as below. Also, it's last years technology and the Sony A8H screen might be better with processing etc. Also, too much for me I think.

I will be running a Denon AVR X3700 receiver (to be bought?)

It will drive a pair of 15 year old Monitor Audio Silver S6 Floorstanders,
I have 10 year old Monitor Audio Radius 90 Surrounds for the back and a Monitor Audio FB110 Subwoofer. I have a a Monitor Audio Radius 180 Center but think I ought to buy a Monitor Audio Silver Centre. (my kids poked the gold tweeters in about 4 years ago, but budget means I will keep the Radius speakers in play! - have to say they still work fine. I guess I don't hear the high frequency that i'm missing?)

I will be investing in CS180 Atmos Monitor Audio Ceiling speakers. I am considering Bronze FX Surround Rear Speakers.

I have been watching Vincent Teoh HDTV videos with great interest and a few of the other youtube TV stars. There is nothing on google or youtube comparing these two TV's.

At the moment Sevenoaks AV sells the 65 inch A8H OLED at £1999 and the 65 inch XH9505 LED at £1499 and the 75 inch XH9005. Price and size is always important but in this case i am not really willing to go above £2000 and the 75 inch XH9505 is £2499 so not in the running.
however being almost 14 feet away some might argue I need the bigger real estate.

Would very much value experts and users / owners opinions.

Thank you in advance

Darren

I love watching films but now seems to be mainly (HD) netflix and amazon prime. Don't own a bluray anymore. I'm not a gamer but envisage buying my kids a console one day (but they are only 7 + 5) so HDMI 2.1 is not a requirement.

My current TV is a rubbish 15 year old LG 42LK530T through a Yamaha RX 2065. Anything is an improvement. Since having kids, I don't really know what is what and dont know what HDR content is, where to get it nor Dolby Atmos etc. But I will be willing to increase my subs costs for better grade content. Might even consider getting a new Bluray player to see what the kit can really do too.

The TV is for my "Home cinema" which is destined for the Front Lounge (East facing) which gets the sun in the morning so is generally a dark room during my TV watching hours from lunch time onwards.

The sofa seating will be approx 12-14 feet from the wall. The viewing essentially crosses the room with the fireplace on the left but there's a big space with a swivel Eames Chair and foot rest in front.

I don't think I need the sound of the Sony A9G because I have the AV set up being set up as below. Also, it's last years technology and the Sony A8H screen might be better with processing etc. Also, too much for me I think.

I have 10 year old Monitor Audio Radius 90 Surrounds for the back and a Monitor Audio FB110 Subwoofer. I have a a Monitor Audio Radius 180 Center but think I ought to buy a Monitor Audio Silver Centre. (my kids poked the gold tweeters in about 4 years ago, but budget means I will keep the Radius speakers in play! - have to say they still work fine. I guess I don't hear the high frequency that i'm missing?)

I will be investing in CS180 Atmos Monitor Audio Ceiling speakers. I am considering Bronze FX Surround Rear Speakers.

I have been watching Vincent Teoh HDTV videos with great interest and a few of the other youtube TV stars. There is nothing on google or youtube comparing these two TV's.

At the moment Sevenoaks AV sells the 65 inch A8H OLED at £1999 and the 65 inch XH9505 LED at £1499 and the 75 inch XH9005. Price and size is always important but in this case i am not really willing to go above £2000 and the 75 inch XH9505 is £2499 so not in the running.
however being almost 14 feet away some might argue I need the bigger real estate.

Thank you in advance

Darren

Agree with everything you say but discount the XH9005 if you value the best possible picture. It's a very good set but not in the same league of the oled or the XH95. Maybe wait for the 75" to drop further as I'm sure it will in the next couple of months.

Agree with everything you say but discount the XH9005 if you value the best possible picture. It's a very good set but not in the same league of the oled or the XH95. Maybe wait for the 75" to drop further as I'm sure it will in the next couple of months.
Thank you for your reply LCD seeker.
I have found it difficult to see written or video comparisons between A8 OLED and 9505 LED screens.
Happy to get help to discount the 9005. Funny how one can keep thrashing out the same arguments. In he back of my mind keep toying with the idea that HDMI 2.1 might be useful for future proofing. But I really don't play games , nor own a console.

Ultimaltely, Can't decide if I want/need (with respect to the room i'm installing) the infinite contrast OLED and "blacker than black" or better than brightness and dynamic PQ of HDR 9505 LED?

Is OLED worth £500 more for 65 inch? from what I can see on reviews, people are surprisingly happy with brightness.

I have found it difficult to see written or video comparisons between A8 OLED and 9505 LED screens.
Happy to get help to discount the 9005. Funny how one can keep thrashing out the same arguments. In he back of my mind keep toying with the idea that HDMI 2.1 might be useful for future proofing. But I really don't play games , nor own a console.

Ultimaltely, Can't decide if I want/need (with respect to the room i'm installing) the infinite contrast OLED and "blacker than black" or better than brightness and dynamic PQ of HDR 9505 LED?

Is OLED worth £500 more for 65 inch? from what I can see on reviews, people are surprisingly happy with brightness.

Yes, in the last few years OLED's have really improved in terms of how they punch out HDR despite not being able to hit the brightness levels that the top end LCD's do. For me they don't match the HDR of the top end LCD's like the XH9505 but they aren't far off due to their superior contrast.

I honestly wouldn't bother about HDMI 2.1, it's just the new kid on the block which has coincided with the new generation of games consoles so people are feeling it's a must have. Unless you're a very serious gamer it really isn't important at all.

I have a bright living room and young kids so OLED wasn't an option for me, so making a nice saving with the XH95 and really enjoying what it can do, so no regrets for me.

I play games on pc with good quality monitor and ps 4 on my 5v and plan to get a ps5.

I wouldn't worry about hdmi 2.1, the most important thing with next gen consoles is hdr and that requires a bright tv, which the xh95 is.

I have last years xg95 and these are bright tvs, with an excellent picture.

Thank you in advance

Darren

I have had the same issue 65" A8 or XH95 I plunged for XH95 which should arrive today. I have very bright room and kids that leave the TV on, I have a Window with sun shining through even though i have blinds I prefer not to have them shut in the day. Obviously I assume the OLED pic quality will be a lot better but is it worth £6-700 difference, just paid £1199 for the XH95.

Interesting video, in a bright room I can see the advantage of the LCD, in a dark room you can see more detail on the OLED where the LCD has "blown" the highlights. I note both sets are set to maximum brightness, something you probably wouldn't use on the LCD

Things is, with tests like this, you have to factor in camera exposure. There's an initial auto exposure adjustment before each test clip... but, the camera is still searching/adjusting for an exposure that keeps both displays viewable.

It's not necessarily the way you'd see the two screens if you were viewing both together in person.

I take most YouTube videos with a pinch of salt (as you don't know the technical competency/skill of the people involved)... but they are often useful as a rough guide.

For example - here's one that talks about individual exposures (on a screen by screen basis)... but, I really don't think much of the chap's views/content (LG vs Sony).

Skip to 5:55

Last edited:
I hope someone sees this. I spent countless hours on different forums, and spoke with 2 Sony reps. First i bought and received the 950H. I had it for 2 weeks, and then Black Friday came . I saw the 65" A8H drop to $1799 , which was only $300 more than what i paid for the X950H. And i really wanted to know what kind of difference(s) i would notice. The plan was to set them up side by side and return one of them. I started watching the A8H first on its own, planning to adjust any settings.... well by the end of the day, i had boxed up the 950H without even joining them together. Yeah PQ is that good. I watch as much cable as anything else, other than You Tube... The upscaling is FANTASTIC... both on cable content and You Tube. I could remember exactly what the picture quality was on the 950H and within seconds i smiled and knew that this is what i was going to keep.. I even went out and bought an OTA tuner a day earlier because we have Next Gen here now and thought if local broadcasts are available now in 4K, then why not spend $20 and see what the picture is like.. I NEVER even used the tuner... its already IN 4K.... And anything on You Tube at 720 or better was upscaled well, showed more detail, was less grainy, and looked noticeably better than the 950 H. IMPORTANT NOTE**** i was a little concerned whether or not the panel would get bright enough, especially in HD.. Low to moderately lit room, more from room lighting, little from outdoor sunlight ( apartment). After 15 or 20 minutes of viewing, one of my first impressions was, " ITS DEFINITELY bright enough.... and that was with the ceiling LED and table lamp on . Standard mode is by no means dim, but if you want a tad more pop in certain scenes, just switch to Vivid. Very little minor adjustments here and there( white collar fix) Motion is terrific, im a SMALL time gamer, 60 fps is perfectly acceptable to me, id much rather benefit from the wide gamut and excellent gradient which illuminates and defines the content on the screen. AND finally, i had a receiver hooked up with standing Pioneer speakers ready to handle the audio, AND ive been using TV speakers, you every bit of the 30 W setup and the sound is clear, not distorted. I also like to sit in my recliner which is at about 30 degrees and the difference between there and the couch straight away is nada...... One last thing on picture quality ... i mentioned You Tube content... i remember thinking with the 950H that some of the 4k clips were some of the best quality id ever seen... Well, those same clips with the A8H are simply breathtaking and thats noy an exaggeration. Sony simply gets it right when it comes to processing.. The price eent back up to $2498, but ... check Spring Appliance , if you dont mind a wholesale warehouse, you can get it right now for $1598.

I hope someone sees this. I spent countless hours on different forums, and spoke with 2 Sony reps. First i bought and received the 950H. I had it for 2 weeks, and then Black Friday came . I saw the 65" A8H drop to $1799 , which was only $300 more than what i paid for the X950H. And i really wanted to know what kind of difference(s) i would notice. The plan was to set them up side by side and return one of them. I started watching the A8H first on its own, planning to adjust any settings.... well by the end of the day, i had boxed up the 950H without even joining them together. Yeah PQ is that good. I watch as much cable as anything else, other than You Tube... The upscaling is FANTASTIC... both on cable content and You Tube. I could remember exactly what the picture quality was on the 950H and within seconds i smiled and knew that this is what i was going to keep.. I even went out and bought an OTA tuner a day earlier because we have Next Gen here now and thought if local broadcasts are available now in 4K, then why not spend $20 and see what the picture is like.. I NEVER even used the tuner... its already IN 4K.... And anything on You Tube at 720 or better was upscaled well, showed more detail, was less grainy, and looked noticeably better than the 950 H. IMPORTANT NOTE**** i was a little concerned whether or not the panel would get bright enough, especially in HD.. Low to moderately lit room, more from room lighting, little from outdoor sunlight ( apartment). After 15 or 20 minutes of viewing, one of my first impressions was, " ITS DEFINITELY bright enough.... and that was with the ceiling LED and table lamp on . Standard mode is by no means dim, but if you want a tad more pop in certain scenes, just switch to Vivid. Very little minor adjustments here and there( white collar fix) Motion is terrific, im a SMALL time gamer, 60 fps is perfectly acceptable to me, id much rather benefit from the wide gamut and excellent gradient which illuminates and defines the content on the screen. AND finally, i had a receiver hooked up with standing Pioneer speakers ready to handle the audio, AND ive been using TV speakers, you every bit of the 30 W setup and the sound is clear, not distorted. I also like to sit in my recliner which is at about 30 degrees and the difference between there and the couch straight away is nada...... One last thing on picture quality ... i mentioned You Tube content... i remember thinking with the 950H that some of the 4k clips were some of the best quality id ever seen... Well, those same clips with the A8H are simply breathtaking and thats noy an exaggeration. Sony simply gets it right when it comes to processing.. The price eent back up to $2498, but ... check Spring Appliance , if you dont mind a wholesale warehouse, you can get it right now for $1598.

Strange. So you never compared side by side at all? I wouldn't have been able to resist especially after you'd gone to all the trouble of getting them side by side.

Thank you. I was going back and forth in my mind. The only sticking point was an average, well lit room. I figured it would be plenty bright, but thanks to you, it's been confirmed. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom