SONY XH950 VS SONY A8H

partalaki

Novice Member
I am between the 65'' XH950 or the 55'' A8H.
Both cost almost the same amount of money but the question is shall i choose the bigger size
of XH950 or the better picture quality of A8H?
I cant watch them side by side with my own eyes to decide as my local store dont have those two sets to compare them.
So besides the specs on paper can anyone tell me how close is the picture quality of those two TVs from any live experience?

LCDseeker

I am between the 65'' XH950 or the 55'' A8H.
Both cost almost the same amount of money but the question is shall i choose the bigger size
of XH950 or the better picture quality of A8H?
I cant watch them side by side with my own eyes to decide as my local store dont have those two sets to compare them.
So besides the specs on paper can anyone tell me how close is the picture quality of those two TVs from any live experience?
Both are very good but as you know different technology. The XH95 is better for lighter rooms and gives a better HDR output but you will get some blooming. Whereas the OLED with give complete blacks and will be better for darker room viewing. Obviously there is the risk of burn in with the OLED but if you're a careful owner this shouldnt be an issue. I think the XH95 comes as close to OLED performance as an LCD can get in 2020. I'd always go with the larger screen as well. Having just gone up to 65" I wont ever want to drop back down in size.

Last edited:

antani1971

I would not trade off screen size for technology and performance. Screen size is the very first parameter to choose IMHO. And if you have space and don't sit too close, just go for 65".

partalaki

Novice Member
I own a 55' Tv now so i wanted not only a picture quality upgrade but a screen size upgrade too;)
So i will probably go for the 65'' XH950,thanks!!!
I just hope the picture quality ''gap'' is not so big overall between those two TVs.....
I will use it for 4k blurauy movies,PS5,'normal' Tv viewing

antani1971

I cannot comment on the quality gap, but I had an XG95 (now being exchanged for an XH95 fir which I am waiting delivery) and these top lcd from Sony are very good, very rich in color and very bright. Unless you particularly care about blooming or you view tv extremely off center, you can't go wrong IMHO. And with peace of mind regarding burnin.

punkymunky

I have had Sony OLEDs and currently a Sony LCD (not the XH950). In my opinion the LCD is better for standard dynamic range broadcasts and general streaming where the lack of deepest blacks and limited back light control is more than offset by the increased light output in a normally lit living space. However with HDR content, OLED is far better as each pixel can be illuminated individually creating more detailed specular highlights which adds more depth and realism to the picture. The light output advantage for LCD is also reduced in the evening. One final note, I find that Sony LCD screens do not deal with light reflections as well as OLED screens and even with X-wide the viewing angles are far better on OLED.

LCDseeker

I have had Sony OLEDs and currently a Sony LCD (not the XH950). In my opinion the LCD is better for standard dynamic range broadcasts and general streaming where the lack of deepest blacks and limited back light control is more than offset by the increased light output in a normally lit living space. However with HDR content, OLED is far better as each pixel can be illuminated individually creating more detailed specular highlights which adds more depth and realism to the picture. The light output advantage for LCD is also reduced in the evening. One final note, I find that Sony LCD screens do not deal with light reflections as well as OLED screens and even with X-wide the viewing angles are far better on OLED.
Which Sony LCD do you have?

punkymunky

65 XE9305, great picture as long as you are in the sweet spot, but not so great with HDR. An interesting test is to watch the Bourne Identity on Amazon Prime, it is currently available in both HD and UHD HDR, I prefer the HD version on my TV, maybe it's just a poor conversion.

LCDseeker

65 XE9305, great picture as long as you are in the sweet spot, but not so great with HDR. An interesting test is to watch the Bourne Identity on Amazon Prime, it is currently available in both HD and UHD HDR, I prefer the HD version on my TV, maybe it's just a poor conversion.
I had an XE9305 for a year and it was a superb set. Almost as good as the XH95 but one area it certainly lacked was its HDR despite being able to get very bright. The XH95 really does give a superb quality HDR.

I'll have a watch of Bourne in UHD if I remember doesn't it have the grain effect that some producers insist on?

punkymunky

I had an XE9305 for a year and it was a superb set. Almost as good as the XH95 but one area it certainly lacked was its HDR despite being able to get very bright. The XH95 really does give a superb quality HDR.

I'll have a watch of Bourne in UHD if I remember doesn't it have the grain effect that some producers insist on?
Yes it does do insanely bright but maybe lacks dimming zones 72? compared with newer models. You're right the movie is quite grainy so probably not the best example but I find Dolby Vision generally quite dim on the 9305, as if they deliberately lower the ABL in order to make the highlights look brighter to justify having HDR. If the XH has HDR that actually improves the picture as well as all the other benefits - wider viewing, better motion, more accurate colour, responsive Android I would be tempted to upgrade - if the black levels are as good?

LCDseeker

Yes it does do insanely bright but maybe lacks dimming zones 72? compared with newer models. You're right the movie is quite grainy so probably not the best example but I find Dolby Vision generally quite dim on the 9305, as if they deliberately lower the ABL in order to make the highlights look brighter to justify having HDR. If the XH has HDR that actually improves the picture as well as all the other benefits - wider viewing, better motion, more accurate colour, responsive Android I would be tempted to upgrade - if the black levels are as good?
I think the XH95 actually has fewer dimming zones but the algorithms and newer processors and tech seem to be able to produce a much better viewing experience, especially in HDR. I'd say the black levels are as good but it's been a few years since I've had the XE9305. The XH95 definitely has many more benefits as you've listed, maybe treat yourself Black Friday onwards.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom