Sony xh950 v Panasonic hz980b

Gee13

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice I have finally managed to narrow down my selection to the following two TVs the Sony xh95 and Panasonic hz980b. Just wanted some input regarding which would be best option. Predominantly being used for a normal lit room for netflix/amazon and ps4 pro gaming. Lots of ps4 gaming on games such as fortnite etc. Already have a lg cx oled for the 1 room but need a TV for the 2nd room. Any suggestions on which of the two to go with pros cons and even alternatives.

Any advice/input welcome.

Thanks for your time people.

Gee.

Sony xh95 as you have the CX all ready and won't have to worry about burn on it.

Typically you'd decide on a display tech first before comparing models, otherwise its like comparing an apple to an orange.

You have an OLED already, so have some idea of what to expect from the HZ980 which shares the same panel as your CX. The Sony XH9505 is a different beast, but overall I'd say its not up there with the oleds for picture quality due to its low zone count.

Typically you'd decide on a display tech first before comparing models, otherwise its like comparing an apple to an orange.

You have an OLED already, so have some idea of what to expect from the HZ980 which shares the same panel as your CX. The Sony XH9505 is a different beast, but overall I'd say its not up there with the oleds for picture quality due to its low zone count.
Hi Dodge

You seem to be back tracking on your rating of the XH9505 vs OLEDS from 6 months or so ago? OLEDS are OLEDs all panels are the same and all made by LG. OK Panasonic add a heat absorbing back layer to their top end models but they are still LG panels.

I bought a Sony 49XH9505 and picture quality from all sources is beyond my expectation. Upscaling of HD sources is excellent. Even in fully dark room I see no blooming (except very slightly Netflix (- no other sources) cinema bars)?
Viewing angles are also better than expected. recording and pausing similar head up used by rtings.com gives slower off angle degradation than they show.
I decided against OLED due to several factors.

HDR brightness similar to SDR on Sony - bright room

Excellent back level - 49" has higher contrast ratio to 55" or above.

Having to do some sort of refresh procedure on any OLED every 4 hours?

Viewing angles are also better than expected. recording and pausing similar head up used by rtings.com gives slower off angle degradation than they show.

That's good to hear. The 49" would be ideal for me really especially as it's pretty cheap in costco atm. (£600) EDIT: It's £750. I was put off by the bad viewing angles thing though and was looking to see if the 55 would be discounted, but it's still £1k (which you can get the 65" for now, but it's too big for my room)

Last edited:
Hi Dodge

You seem to be back tracking on your rating of the XH9505 vs OLEDS from 6 months or so ago? OLEDS are OLEDs all panels are the same and all made by LG. OK Panasonic add a heat absorbing back layer to their top end models but they are still LG panels.

I bought a Sony 49XH9505 and picture quality from all sources is beyond my expectation. Upscaling of HD sources is excellent. Even in fully dark room I see no blooming (except very slightly Netflix (- no other sources) cinema bars)?
I decided against OLED due to several factors.

HDR brightness similar to SDR on Sony - bright room

Excellent back level - 49" has higher contrast ratio to 55" or above.

Having to do some sort of refresh procedure on any OLED every 4 hours?
I'm usually very reluctant to make a comparison between two different techs..as I say, apples and oranges. I also thought the OP was looking at 55" where prices are very different to 49" (Panasonic HZ980 is only 55" and up.

At 49" the Sony XH9505 is very good value at the moment from Costco, as Madao mentions above.

If 55" its a different story, value is always relative to the current price, and pricing at this time of year is very volatile.

Some great points by all.
As stated by Dodge I am looking at the 55 although at 600gbp the 49 looks appealing. However, I am restricted by my funding as the 2nd set is coming from the Currys pc world voucher (£579) and the £420 I was paid in cash upon appeal. I've already splashed out from own pocket for the CX (which incidentally just been collected to be replaced due to a pixelated line on lhs of screen via Box.co.uk) fter 6 years of perfect TV time I've been hit with issues with both main tv's the Samsung ju6800 screen black out and the LG curved LG ug870v screen degradation lol when it rains hey lol. I will check if the Sony 49 version is available at currys may be a big money saver....

In normal scenario a 2nd oled would be no brainer, however as its going to get some heavy use by my kids on the ps4 and cartoon channels, the thought of dealing with a potential screen burn gives me the jitters lol..... In reality I'm looking for someone to give me a push to bite the bullet on one or the other. I just don't want to be looking at the Sony and thinking damn I could have had a oled when I had the chance or don't want to be looking at the oled and sweating while my son clocks up a marathon session on fortnite lol

Boy things were so much easier buying crts....

I think you've answered your own question there. If you can't control the kind of content that is being used, and how the TV is being used then it makes sense to get an LCD TV instead. Probably makes sense to get one for as little money also as possible if its a secondary TV. Can't believe the XH9505 is so cheap at the minute, incredible. There are low tier TVs that sell for that money.

I think your right.

Just needed someone to push me of the bridge (so to speak) no need for two oleds, and thinking about it I'm going to speak with Box.co.uk and see if I can exchange the cx from 55 to 65 put the extra cash towards a bigger oled. Downgrade the 2nd TV to a 50 and check if currys do the Sony xh9505 in the 49. Time to re jig the list to possible 50s if the Sony is not available at currys, last checked only saw the 55 version. Back to the drawing board with a new plan lol

I think your right.

Just needed someone to push me of the bridge (so to speak) no need for two oleds, and thinking about it I'm going to speak with Box.co.uk and see if I can exchange the cx from 55 to 65 put the extra cash towards a bigger oled. Downgrade the 2nd TV to a 50 and check if currys do the Sony xh9505 in the 49. Time to re jig the list to possible 50s if the Sony is not available at currys, last checked only saw the 55 version. Back to the drawing board with a new plan lol
So much for a great deal lol the xh95 49inch at currys is a whopping 848gbp!! Anywhere near 600 I would have done deal closed shop. Need to re assess tomorrow again....

So much for a great deal lol the xh95 49inch at currys is a whopping 848gbp!! Anywhere near 600 I would have done deal closed shop. Need to re assess tomorrow again....

This is my mistake. I'm sorry. It's only the 65 inch on offer at £999 at costco online. The 49 is £750 (I was looking at the price without vat!) though I do expect costco to lower this one as well.

Is currys the only place you can buy from? Again, I apologize about the mistake.

44855058 (1).jpg

Last edited:
This is my mistake. I'm sorry. It's only the 65 inch on offer at £999 at costco online. The 49 is £750 (I was looking at the price without vat!) though I do expect costco to lower this one as well.

Is currys the only place you can buy from? Again, I apologize about the mistake.

View attachment 1522049
Hey that's no problem easy mistake 😊 At such a cheap price it would have been a real steal.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with currys as I was paid out with a voucher for £579 and £420 bank payment. There is nothing electrical I need either that I could put the voucher towards so will have to use it towards a TV. Will be checking currys again to see other options. Will stick with a lcd option between 50 to 55, try and get something half decent with the £579 voucher and maybe some cash. Don't see the point of splashing 1k on something that's gonna get some abuse from the kids lol...... Suggestions welcome 😊.

Is waiting an option? It's a bit of a risky move, but in the coming weeks it's possible we could see further reductions on 2020 TVs as they try to clear the stock for 2021 models. The risk being that they sell out of 2020 models and you're stuck paying more for a newer model. Currys claim to price match as well.

Price match is a good idea didn't occur to me. Yes waiting is not an issue, however you are right about the 2020 models being sold out, as alot of the range from currys is already not available. So will have to make my decisions quickish...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom