Sony XH95/ X950H (KD-65XH9505) 4K LCD TV Review & Comments

Its been £1499.99 at most places for the last week ,not £1999, pretty big price difference there, maybe review needs updating.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Its been £1499.99 at most places for the last week ,not £1999, pretty big price difference there, maybe review needs updating.
The product shows as £1999 SRP. The deals are also shown in the review at the bottom under the scores and at the top next to the SRP.

Jazce

> The Sony XH95 uses the X1 Ultimate picture processor, which includes Object-based Super Resolution, Object-based HDR Remaster, Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR and Dual Database Processing.

I need to quickly procure some equipment for PHE, how does this handle XLS file formats?

Cheshire Cat

If you don't game, you don't need 2.1, (except maybe for eARC which this TV has) most people that buy this set will buy it for the picture quality & will either never use it for gaming or only for very casual gaming.
Sony make the Ps5, if they thought the lack of 2.1 would cost them a lot of TV sales, this TV would have 2.1.
It won't, so it hasn't.
I respectfully disagree. What the Sony guy is doing is trying to convince people that 2.1 doesn’t matter so they don’t lose sales. My view is that whilst it may not matter today, it will do in 2 years’ time because the gaming industry will have moved on.
I’m not anti Sony - I have an XF9005 and am very happy with the set. I’m anti deception-based marketing, which is what the Sony guy is up to here.

don320

I respectfully disagree. What the Sony guy is doing is trying to convince people that 2.1 doesn’t matter so they don’t lose sales. My view is that whilst it may not matter today, it will do in 2 years’ time because the gaming industry will have moved on.
I’m not anti Sony - I have an XF9005 and am very happy with the set. I’m anti deception-based marketing, which is what the Sony guy is up to here.
It may well matter to the gaming industry in two years time, it may well matter to gamers in two years time, but the point is this is a 2020 set, not a 2022 set. Until the Ps5 is released at the back end of 2020 there is nothing on the market that can take full advantage of 2.1. & even then there are unlikely to be many, if any games that take advantage of 2.1.
My main point was that this isn't sold as a gaming TV. It isn't aimed at the gaming community. Sony are aiming this set at movie viewers, it's advertised as having a picture close to the directors intent. It isn't advertised as a future proof gaming TV.

bobblebob

I forgot about the creaking noises :laugh:, mine does that quite alot. I presume it's got something to do with the heat generated by the brightness. I also really like the retro on/off sound it makes when you turn the television on/off.
Seeing as your the 1st person to mention the issue, how bad did yours get? Did it improve when the tv had "warmed" up abit, or was it a case of just getting used to it?

personally i think this TV looks like a great all rounder for movies and games, subject to HDMI 2.1
no doubt they will release an updated model with 2.1 hdmi and everyone who bought this will get a touch of buyers remorse

tazg101

personally i think this TV looks like a great all rounder for movies and games, subject to HDMI 2.1
no doubt they will release an updated model with 2.1 hdmi and everyone who bought this will get a touch of buyers remorse
But only if you're a serious gamer?

Bacus

Distinguished Member
I have a 65 AG9 already ,but getting a bit sick of avoiding Sky sports new etc for fear of burn in etc ,plus my 13 year old has a habit of pausing it and just leaving it paused ,I’m considering getting the 75” Xh
Go for it mate,
I'm based in Worthing, West Sussex and if your anywhere near to me your more than welcome to pop over and have a look, mess with settings and have a cuppa :thumbsup:

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Go for it mate,
I'm based in Worthing, West Sussex and if your anywhere near to me your more than welcome to pop over and have a look, mess with settings and have a cuppa :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Up north I’m afraid but thanks for the offer mate

Bacus

Distinguished Member
Seeing as your the 1st person to mention the issue, how bad did yours get? Did it improve when the tv had "warmed" up abit, or was it a case of just getting used to it?
Just a point to make here,
I previously owned the Sony 75" XE9405 and that creaked a lot, mainly late in the evening after the set had been on for a few hours.
I now own the 75" XH9505 and I can happily report that since owening it I have not heard any creaking at all from the rear plastic panel.

davejones2

I'd love to know the technical reason why the manufacturers can't just design the backlight structures on these fald sets to take into account the letterbox bars with 16:9 and 2.39:1 ratios. Presumably the zone count on this is too low, but even the higher-end sets 3-4 years ago with >500 zone counts couldn't do it either. Just doesn't seem like that hard an engineering task!

Seems bizarre to me as it is clearly fairly important to a lot of viewers perception of contrast, but perhaps OLED has that side of the market pretty much cornered so they can't be bothered!

LCDseeker

Mine just makes the odd creak now and then. It's not overly loud and doesn't really seem to fit a pattern as such. I suspect it's just the way the set heats and cools and maybe has been over/under tightened somewhere causing it. I've had a previous Sony set do the same but my other recent ones haven't so I wouldn't say it will be a quirk of owning this set. I've seen a few others say theirs does and others saying that theirs doesn't.

Just occurred to me that you might be asking about the on/off sound? If so then that's a design feature unlike the creaky noises.

bobblebob

Mine just makes the odd creak now and then. It's not overly loud and doesn't really seem to fit a pattern as such. I suspect it's just the way the set heats and cools and maybe has been over/under tightened somewhere causing it. I've had a previous Sony set do the same but my other recent ones haven't so I wouldn't say it will be a quirk of owning this set. I've seen a few others say theirs does and others saying that theirs doesn't.

Just occurred to me that you might be asking about the on/off sound? If so then that's a design feature unlike the creaky noises.
Thanks. No didnt mean the on/off sound, meant the creeks. I suspect its one of those things that when you know thw TV does it, you hear it more because you're subconsciously listening for it

Canute

Standard Member
My quess is that the ON/Off sound is a relay / mechanical switch sort of for powering. Kind of heavy duty solution, which I think is a good thing.

The Nightfly

Anyone got any experience of the 49” set? Impressed or not? Without the X-Wide filter, I think, in theory, this should have a bright, punchy, sharp image, but I guess a lot depends on the quality of the underlying panel that Sony uses at this size compared to the 55” and above sets.

I already own a 65XG95 as my main TV, which I really like, but looking for something smaller to put into a secondary room.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I'd love to know the technical reason why the manufacturers can't just design the backlight structures on these fald sets to take into account the letterbox bars with 16:9 and 2.39:1 ratios. Presumably the zone count on this is too low, but even the higher-end sets 3-4 years ago with >500 zone counts couldn't do it either. Just doesn't seem like that hard an engineering task!

Seems bizarre to me as it is clearly fairly important to a lot of viewers perception of contrast, but perhaps OLED has that side of the market pretty much cornered so they can't be bothered!
My dx902 has black bars, that's a FALD set with 512 dimming zones, i also have a lg c9 oled to compare it too and there isn't much between them on the black bars.
I can push the brightness up to make them not black but when the brightness is correct they are inky

Anyone got any experience of the 49” set? Impressed or not? Without the X-Wide filter, I think, in theory, this should have a bright, punchy, sharp image, but I guess a lot depends on the quality of the underlying panel that Sony uses at this size compared to the 55” and above sets.

I already own a 65XG95 as my main TV, which I really like, but looking for something smaller to put into a secondary room.
this is my concern. That the stripping out off features from the bigger sets will make the 49inch a hobbled TV that wouldn’t score as highly.

also a bit dubious about Android TV9. Hate the way it takes up the entire screen, and have heard issues with laggy performance and reboots. Android tv10 seems to be way off

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published