Sony XH95/ X950H (KD-65XH9505) 4K LCD TV Review & Comments

very tempted to buy the 49" model this weekend,have got a narrow tv cabinet so will need a universal tv stand

any recommendations?

very tempted to buy the 49" model this weekend,have got a narrow tv cabinet so will need a universal tv stand

any recommendations?

Have a look at the owners thread, currently people recommending stands so it's fresh in the thread.

Wish the review would cover more hardware info of smart features. Actual software reports Chipset,CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage. USB3, ethernet type, wifi tests iperf.... Sony leads market on this but nobody mentions that. As example TLC 815 would be a turtle compared to sony in android performance etc :)

yeah, but......... Most of those things depend on how one is using it. TCL 815 is not a turtle even with weaker SoC. Now, after a week or two without reset it might be slower if one is using it like I do use my XG95 or might be faster if grandma just watching a TV. Pure sterile numbers don't tell you much except that something should perform better but since those numbers are not 10x different, end result may vary.
The most meaningful things you can get from those SoC details is how some common app will behave and what works and what is broken. MTK sucks in many ways but it is used by sony and philips since Android TV inception and those who care know what to expect. And while I did play around with TCL, can't confirm exactly how KODI will perform. Or on recent TOSHIBA. On paper, they are worse. But highly doubt that buyer of 500€ TOSHIBA cares about connecting it's TV to home server for easy access to apk files or media or using torrent client on TV or..... Just like I don't care about cameras on phone and am very pissed that every decent phone cost a few hundreds more because of them. But for many, overpriced disposable cameras are a thing.

yeah, but......... Most of those things depend on how one is using it. TCL 815 is not a turtle even with weaker SoC. Now, after a week or two without reset it might be slower if one is using it like I do use my XG95 or might be faster if grandma just watching a TV. Pure sterile numbers don't tell you much except that something should perform better but since those numbers are not 10x different, end result may vary.
The most meaningful things you can get from those SoC details is how some common app will behave and what works and what is broken. MTK sucks in many ways but it is used by sony and philips since Android TV inception and those who care know what to expect. And while I did play around with TCL, can't confirm exactly how KODI will perform. Or on recent TOSHIBA. On paper, they are worse. But highly doubt that buyer of 500€ TOSHIBA cares about connecting it's TV to home server for easy access to apk files or media or using torrent client on TV or..... Just like I don't care about cameras on phone and am very pissed that every decent phone cost a few hundreds more because of them. But for many, overpriced disposable cameras are a thing.
Partially agree. But there is always issue as manufacturers do not disclose complete specs and third party websites mislead potential buyers. Philips is well known for that. Whilst MTK is not best performer but there is substantial difference between models fitted. Also it plays high role in playing files from hdd/ssd/network. Philips chokes up playing some files, where other makes play fine with no problem. And I am not talking about more advanced functionalities yet like torrents etc... Essentially for me then device is not fit for purpose.
Lets be realistic all content streamed is compressed so you don't actually get all out of your tv even if its £500 toshiba. Only watching high bitrate videos you can truly see potential of tv, so how you plan to watch it if SoC can't manage it?
Someone might shout well buy tv box like shield, but why? I just paid for tv which claims to play x codecs/media files including all fancy hdr, db, etc and now it works out I cant?

You just make a start listing this at least it will force manufacturers to compete a little and stick better hardware.

Found this post very interesting as I am getting my TV delivered on Monday. My man cave is rather small so I do not think I will need a subwoofer (it is also upstairs so no vibrations downstairs allowed) as an option to the ones you mention would the LG SN7CY be a better choice for the Atmos effect as it has a couple of up firing speakers. The soundbar would be around 4-5 foot from the ceiling (wall mounted beneath the TV) and my viewing distance is around 8-10 feet away. Also the price of £299 seems reasonable compared to some of the others.
That wouldn't be a bad shout for your setup having read some reviews. Another potential option for yourself might be something like the Sony HT-X8500 :)

That wouldn't be a bad shout for your setup having read some reviews. Another potential option for yourself might be something like the Sony HT-X8500 :)
After doing a bit research and watching a couple of reviews on youtube I have decided against the LG as it does not have eARC, the Sony you mention does have eARC so will wait until Black Friday to see if it drops from the current price of £250. The sound is not that bad on the TV (watched Justice League last night) but there is a bit bass lacking and the surround does not seem all that good although I expected that from the TV. Hopefully the Sony soundbar will give me a touch more bass and a bit more effects from the pseudo surround.

After doing a bit research and watching a couple of reviews on youtube I have decided against the LG as it does not have eARC, the Sony you mention does have eARC so will wait until Black Friday to see if it drops from the current price of £250. The sound is not that bad on the TV (watched Justice League last night) but there is a bit bass lacking and the surround does not seem all that good although I expected that from the TV. Hopefully the Sony soundbar will give me a touch more bass and a bit more effects from the pseudo surround.

Once you go from TV sound to a soundbar, at least a decent soundbar there is no going back. IN fact you will probably laugh at yourself that you think it sounds fairly okay now :')

Is it like going from gaming through TV speakers to gaming through a stereo headset. Then going from a stereo headset to a virtual surround sound headset. It is a night and day difference every time.

You will be very glad you bought one :)

Hi Scotty Pro, Mallet94

I got the 65XH95 last Friday and am loving the TV. I upgraded from a 55xe9305 and the sound is better than the previous in regards to it giving, imho, or more rounded, spatial whole sound.# when watching general sky Q tv (I`m a celeb, bake off, masterchef etc....I know, don`t judge me)

I also have the Ht-X8500 and haven`t used played sound through this TV yet as we like to connect up and watch a movie with it connected to have a more special night.
This is because the bass booms into the room (scares the crap out of our Dachsy sometimes)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Wayne
that is just what I wanted to hear, I only really watch movies either UHD Discs or my blu Ray rips from Plex.

Hey everyone!
Today our 65 inch XH95 arrived! :clap:

The size is a brilliant upgrade from a 49 inch TV and I am glad that I didn't buy a 55 inch LG CX.

Any recommended settings? I will use the TV for:
-Apple TV(HDR movies and shows)
-Xbox Series X(HDR gaming and UHD bluray movies)

I have connected the devices to the TV and use the ARC port to output audio to my Yamaha YSP-2700 sound projector that can decode DTS Master Audio and Dolby TruHD.

With regards to soundbars, I have a very good but unused sub. Is there a good 3.1 soundbar without a sub that I could add it to?

any recommendations?

I bought a tilt swivel for my 49"...had a small footprint to put it on, works great, the tilt is my favorite feature!

Amazon product ASIN B01N4AUSQH
41yuo3cQMOL._AC_.jpg

Hey everyone!
Today our 65 inch XH95 arrived! :clap:

The size is a brilliant upgrade from a 49 inch TV and I am glad that I didn't buy a 55 inch LG CX.

Any recommended settings? I will use the TV for:
-Apple TV(HDR movies and shows)
-Xbox Series X(HDR gaming and UHD bluray movies)

I have connected the devices to the TV and use the ARC port to output audio to my Yamaha YSP-2700 sound projector that can decode DTS Master Audio and Dolby TruHD.

See settings in my signature.

Paul

See settings in my signature.

Paul
You are a hero. A million thanks. Settings for the XH95 are under publicised compared with the XH90 and LG CX they both have a gazillion youtube videos covering settings for every device under pairing under the sun.

The XH90 is getting more attention that it deserves simply bewcause people are going crazy over 4K 120Hz. I can't even run Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at 30fps consistent at ultra settings, so the idea of 4K 120Hz is stupid.

Paul

With regards to soundbars, I have a very good but unused sub. Is there a good 3.1 soundbar without a sub that I could add it to?

Not really 3.1, close, but I use this pasive soundbar with my 49", along with a large 12" sub and Sony AVR. I like that I can pipe the side channels of 7.1 or the rear channels into the bar and not loose any sound sources that are not blended into just the front channels. This is a 42" wide version, they have a 50" larger version as well...I bought mine used at a good price.

Also, just saw this on Amazon... Amazon product ASIN B005AV8TNO

Last edited:
The XH90 is getting more attention that it deserves simply bewcause people are going crazy over 4K 120Hz. I can't even run Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at 30fps consistent at ultra settings, so the idea of 4K 120Hz is stupid.

Paul
Yupp. I was actually set on buying an LG CX and that a HDMI 2.1 TV is a must. However two weeks of Series X has taught me that:

-Most big open world games will only run at max 30-60fps, in some cases with dynamic resolution scaling down to 1200p.

-120fps is gorgeous but I will only need it for first person shooter games which I exclusively play on my Gaming monitor with mouse and keyboard.

If I was to nit pick, it would have been nice if the TV was capable of 1440p@120. Other than I decided to prioritise HDR and image quality over HDMI 2.1, hence why I chose the XH95.

my x95h 65" has one back cover that can be taken off (above inputs on the left), do anyone knows what is this used for ?
photo attached below

Screenshot_1.png

thank you.

is there an option to display the on-screen keyboard (gboard) while i have connected a wireless keyboard (logitech k400)?

Does anyone use this set with the Xbox Series X ? Interested to hear how it performs. I don’t think it can do 120fps unless this has been updated.

Does anyone use this set with the Xbox Series X ? Interested to hear how it performs. I don’t think it can do 120fps unless this has been updated.

You can do 120fps if you set resolution to 1080p. You may also be able to do it at 1440p but you won't be able to HDR at the same time due to HDMI 2.0 bandwith limitations.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom