Sony XH95 4K LCD TV Preview

@1234VICE for me is not about bringing FW to older models, its about selling the exact same TV as a new model!!

And its not about FW features the XH have over the XG! People talk about improved picture quality!!

I didnt read all the posts but if you are curious maybe you can read more here : 2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Which one of the xh95 models is identical to the xg95 counterpart?

With 'SW' I dont mean exclusively SW features. If the SW of the xh95 somehow enhances PQ over the xg95, I still consider that SW. It is unclear to me in what way the PQ has been improved though.

Rebranding is indeed anti-consumer, and this is not restricted to the tv business. The xh95 offers marginal upgrades over the xg95, so it's close to rebranding. Every year, the previous generation tv sets offer better value. In this way, companies capitalize on ignorant consumer's that simply want to have the latest model. IMO, its a bit of a gray area. The msrp of the xh95 is lower than the xg95 anyway.

Maybe I will have a look at that thread. Thanks for sharing this discussion!

I think this statement is a bit misleading. The black level increases with light output. So black level and blooming should be better for the xh90 over the xh95. Also, the on-axis contrast should be better.

Compared to oled, the black level of lcd is inferior indeed.

Full field brightness should still be superior over oled for the xh90. Though peak highlight output is significantly inferior.

Although without the x wide angle the sides will look lighter than the XH95, saying that it doesn't really bother me on my 55HX853 even though I can see it. But if the XH95 is more evenly black, even if it's lighter than the XH90, it will probably look better overall.

@1234VICE which model of the XH95 is the same hardware wise as the XG95? Well each sizes?! There is no difference in motherboard or chipset between a 49" and a 75" right? So asking which model is irelevant!

In my country the 49" XH95 is 1550 euros in our currency so yeah im mad that they sell the same TV with 1500 and you could got a XG95 bigger size(55") with 900 euros. This TV should have be priced at about 800 euros and then i would not care if i heard that Sony sold me the exact same hardware wise tv as the years before tv! Im also mad if this TVs have HDMI 2.1 chipsets and they are restricted by software!! We earn 400 euros a month here so fock their TVs!

Decision between XH90 and XG95 is very easy, if you want hdmi 2.1 or are mostly gaming then XH90 otherwise XG95 is simply a better TV and is even cheaper right now. The more tricky decision is between XG95 and XH95, it depends on the price, if the price is close then probably XH95, if XG95 is a lot cheaper then XG95.

Many countries sell 55XG9505 now for 900€, it's a no brainer imo. I got it for 999€ back in december 2019 and couldn't be happier.

@1234VICE which model of the XH95 is the same hardware wise as the XG95? Well each sizes?! There is no difference in motherboard or chipset between a 49" and a 75" right? So asking which model is irelevant!

In my country the 49" XH95 is 1550 euros in our currency so yeah im mad that they sell the same TV with 1500 and you could got a XG95 bigger size(55") with 900 euros. This TV should have be priced at about 800 euros and then i would not care if i heard that Sony sold me the exact same hardware wise tv as the years before tv! Im also mad if this TVs have HDMI 2.1 chipsets and they are restricted by software!! We earn 400 euros a month here so fock their TVs!

At least all of the models have an upgraded sound system. Most have a different design. 55" and 65" have x wide viewing angles. These are objectively not the same tv's. Whether the difference is significant is a subjective - and IMO a different - matter.

The xg95 was also overpriced compared to the xf90. Every year, last year's models offer better value. IMO, it is unreasonable to expect that manufactures set their pricing equal to last year's discounted models. If you want it at the price of the xg95, ultimately, you will just have to wait another year. Even better, since the xh95 does not offer a significant upgrade, you can buy an xg95 without the feeling of missing out.

I want to stress that at least the msrp was lowered compared to the xg95. So at least there is some progress.

Tv's display a very extreme price cycle, while upgrades are incremental. Most people that are in the market for a new tv are thus better off with last year's model. The latest and greatest comes with a penalty to value for money, this is a rule of thumb that holds for most - if not all - consumer electronics, and it something consumers should be aware of.

Decision between XH90 and XG95 is very easy, if you want hdmi 2.1 or are mostly gaming then XH90 otherwise XG95 is simply a better TV and is even cheaper right now. The more tricky decision is between XG95 and XH95, it depends on the price, if the price is close then probably XH95, if XG95 is a lot cheaper then XG95.

Many countries sell 55XG9505 now for 900€, it's a no brainer imo. I got it for 999€ back in december 2019 and couldn't be happier.

It is indeed pretty crazy to consider that between the 55" xg95 (~1000eu) and the xh95 (~1600eu), I would essentially be paying 600eu for a piece of plastic (viewing angle filter).

Sony 4K smart TV X9500H comprehensive analysis(chinese review):
citation:"In other respects, Sony 4K Smart TV X9500H is equipped with HDMI 2.1 interface, and also supports 4K 120HZ signal input and professional game mode."

Actually, even if one games a lot, I would personally still pick the xg95 over the xh90. I would pick the higher brightness of the xg95 over hdmi 2.1 features. xg95 with 60 fps seems to me seems a similar gaming experience than xh90 with 120 fps + VRR.

That being said, indeed of hdmi 2.1 is a must, the decision is easy.

Also, I want to mention that I do not have experience with high framerate gaming, or VRR. So my opinion is essentially useless :). I just want to highlight that sometimes it almost seems as if you cannot game without hdmi 2.1, but in my experience a solid 60 fps + vsync is quite good already, and better fundamental PQ also enhances the gaming experience.

@1234VICE for me is not about bringing FW to older models, its about selling the exact same TV as a new model!!

And its not about FW features the XH have over the XG! People talk about improved picture quality!!

I didnt read all the posts but if you are curious maybe you can read more here : 2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The new 2020 Toyota Camry is the exact same as my 2018 Toyota Camry, but it has Android Auto...I am suing, it won't let me update the stereo system firmware with 2020 Camry firmware! :p

Paul

How often do manufacturers actually update the hardware in these things?
I have had xe , xf and now xg from sony and i have never looked at the hardware changes.i am more interested in sony delivering what they have said they would.that is why my xe was swapped for the xf.the xh is not exactly the same as xg as it has the filter and even different legs lol.have they stated anywhere that the hardware inside is different?
Like most electronics, firmware is the biggest problem and that is what i dont like.why are we the beta testers? I would pay more for something that got the basics right.for me the sony tv's were the best for picture quality that i could afford so put that at the top of my priorities.
But its pretty sad that a company like sony cant even get a basic requirement like reliable sound right.
To me this matters more than features that they never promised anyway.

Last edited:
Sony has it's OS layer on top of the Android OS, and then they have the app layer...it's a hot mess for the coders to make it all not crash. My X950H has been pretty stable and trouble free, except it loses HDCP handshake or something if I restart my Windows PC, and I have to reboot the TV or else my PC says no audio drivers found.

Paul

I agree that its complicated but this is their job.spend more time testing and the problems will reduce in number.for me its crazy that the audio bug was not picked up during testing.my tv drops audio for a split second regularly and that is with default sound settings so would of thought it would be picked up.i am using the workaround but its not a real solution as it means losing some basic functionality.
Its just the nature of this business to get product out as fast as possible

I’m looking to upgrade TVs it’s either a 55” 950h or save £600 and get a 950g
Tv is in a bright room its a xd9305 and screen is pretty reflective I’ve been googling for info on x wide angle screens to see if they’re any better than a normal screen couldn’t find anything
any owners got any info/opinions ?
cheers

The new 2020 Toyota Camry is the exact same as my 2018 Toyota Camry, but it has Android Auto...I am suing, it won't let me update the stereo system firmware with 2020 Camry firmware! :pPaul

You might be joking but that's exactly what is happening. Manufacturers skimp out on support and features so you buy the """""""new"""""" thing.

Where is the upgrade? Talking while talking about Sony 55X9500H(another chinese review)!
升級在哪裡?邊測邊聊索尼55X9500H

Where is the upgrade? Talking while talking about Sony 55X9500H(another chinese review)!
升級在哪裡?邊測邊聊索尼55X9500H

They measured contrast very low compared to other sites! Interesting to see different views on the same TV though.

Contrast is just brightness divided by black level...it will change depending on what brightnes they set the TV to and if they turned on local dimming. If you turn on local dimming on these TV's, you will get an OLED reading of infinite:1, because the black reading will be withj the backlight off and 0nit.

Paul

Contrast is just brightness divided by black level...it will change depending on what brightnes they set the TV to and if they turned on local dimming. If you turn on local dimming on these TV's, you will get an OLED reading of infinite:1, because the black reading will be withj the backlight off and 0nit.

Paul

Ah okay thank you. Because they measured the black level lower than other sites too, so perhaps they just went for a darker calibration and didn't really get the best out of the panel.

Paul

If the native contrast is measured at ~3000:1 at different sites, measuring 1500:1 does go directly against that from my point of view.

This is the second time 1500:1 is measured. I forgot which was the other website. Could it be that the Chinese model is inferior?

If the native contrast is measured at ~3000:1 at different sites, measuring 1500:1 does go directly against that from my point of view.

This is the second time 1500:1 is measured. I forgot which was the other website. Could it be that the Chinese model is inferior?
yet it is an MVA panel but with an IPS panel contrast ! ;)

OK, so who can help me buy an RMF-TX611 cheaper from Europe so I can have a backlit remote control for my TV?

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 5.38.00 AM.png

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
yes I know but it is not yet available for sale, you have to wait ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom