Sony XH95 4K LCD TV Preview

Sony 4K smart TV X9500H comprehensive analysis(chinese review):
citation:"In other respects, Sony 4K Smart TV X9500H is equipped with HDMI 2.1 interface, and also supports 4K 120HZ signal input and professional game mode."

From Sony's website it seems that the XH90 will be* better equipped than XH95 regarding HDMI2.1:
(*it's what they say, but there are no date or guarantee)

XH90:
XH90.PNG

XH95:
XH95.PNG

The zh8 looks pretty amazing tbh. I wonder how it holds up against oled. I think this caliber and size of display is best suited for a dedicated theater room though.

xh95 held its own IMO, but the zh8 is a level higher. Also, this is all based on a video, IRL the difference is probably larger due to higher dynamic range.

I do wonder whether they enabled some form of dynamic contrast enhancement on the zh8. The image seemed to pop much more than the q900r. I don't really trust it, I dont think you can achieve this without processing.

1590398544392.png

Any information on the number of dimming zones on the ZH8?

Rarely seen a topic as friendly, helpful and kind as this. Everyone is so informative and nice. Almost made me buy the Sony. Especially Technoman!
But, I'll be saying goodbye (hopefully) by the end of this week when my q90t is coming.

After a few more positive reviews, in particular about shadow detail, local dimming, I decided to go for the Samsung. Managed to find one for 1500, which was a deal I couldn't pass.
The initial price I saw for the XH95 here was 1799..

Stay safe all. I hope I don't have to come back like when I ordered the Q90R and Covid hit.

Rarely seen a topic as friendly, helpful and kind as this. Everyone is so informative and nice. Almost made me buy the Sony. Especially Technoman!
But, I'll be saying goodbye (hopefully) by the end of this week when my q90t is coming.

After a few more positive reviews, in particular about shadow detail, local dimming, I decided to go for the Samsung. Managed to find one for 1500, which was a deal I couldn't pass.

Stay safe all. I hope I don't have to come back like when I ordered the Q90R and Covid hit.

Best of luck, looks a lovely TV, hopefully all is well :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it:D

Thank you also for the friendly discussion, and congratulations on your purchase. The Q90T looks very nice indeed!

Sony XH9505 Review 4K Full Array - Menu ANDROID y Test Local Dimming

Interesting at 20min 6 seconds ( ) you can see the uniformity as i believe that he's using the inbuilt Youtube app, so the local dimming is off in the menus and between videos. It is on my Sony too. Doesn't look too bad to be fair.

Sony's new 2020 X9000H compared to X9500H evaluation, the king of cost performance? Ultra-detailed comparison of actual picture quality and sound quality, functional explanation, and dynamic compensation explanation. Dafa Letter ...(chinese video comparaison):

Thanks for sharing another great video!

We will be speaking so many languages after all of this is over 😁

Sony's new 2020 X9000H compared to X9500H evaluation, the king of cost performance? Ultra-detailed comparison of actual picture quality and sound quality, functional explanation, and dynamic compensation explanation. Dafa Letter ...(chinese video comparaison):

That GOT scenes from 6:23 on looks a lot nicer on XG95. XH90 has some kind of uniformity problems, blooming or whatever that is, very bluish blacks across the whole screen and picture is bright near the left and right border, very similar to my 49XE90, while XH95 looks more like my 55XG95. XH95 looks easily better in this video comparison, better blacks, more shadow detail, better processing, nicer wb and colours but it could all be because of the video, no conclusion should be made through a video but I'm almost certain that this comparison reflects the truth.

Last edited:
Still back and forth between this and the Q80T...okay there's some black crush on the Samsung but it does produce a nice looking image...

I've moved my lamp from by my Sony 55HX853 so now less ambient light and it's a lot more obvious the dimming and brightening on certain difficult scenes. It's not horrible, but I wonder if the XH95 is brighter if I'd notice it more.

Still back and forth between this and the Q80T...okay there's some black crush on the Samsung but it does produce a nice looking image...

I've moved my lamp from by my Sony 55HX853 so now less ambient light and it's a lot more obvious the dimming and brightening on certain difficult scenes. It's not horrible, but I wonder if the XH95 is brighter if I'd notice it more.

I haven't really heard that blooming is a major issue on the Sony in SDR content. That being said, the Samsung's do indeed seem to outperform the xh95 in dark room performance. The Sony should benefit more from bias lighting.

I have no idea how your current tv stacks up against the xh95. My guess would be that black level is enhanced in SDR content for the newer model due to better lookup tables + more zones.

There are many happy users of both Samsung and Sony tv's. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If the Samsung feels right; it is right.

Not sure if this is helpful, just my two cents.

I haven't really heard that blooming is a major issue on the Sony in SDR content. That being said, the Samsung's do indeed seem to outperform the xh95 in dark room performance. The Sony should benefit more from bias lighting.

I have no idea how your current tv stacks up against the xh95. My guess would be that black level is enhanced in SDR content for the newer model due to better lookup tables + more zones.

There are many happy users of both Samsung and Sony tv's. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If the Samsung feels right; it is right.

Not sure if this is helpful, just my two cents.

No thank you it does help balancing my thoughts. My Sony was a top end in 2012 but did have relatively weak blacks (0.06cm2) and didn't go anywhere as bright as the Sony does. It's edge lit too so it has to sacrifice blacks much more frequently to light bright parts of the image. It only has 16 zones in total.

I am just not sure which way I want to lean really. I love Sony processing, but I probably would be happier with reduced blooming even if it slightly hindered blacks. Although if it fluctuated up and down a lot I would find that annoying.

I also found I had 5 Sony TV's and all had banding and some form of clouding, but again at the time they were all edgelit.

Managed to a price match from John Lewis for £1455 for the 55”
going to buy it in the next couple of days
there also doing a £100 e gift card on some electrical purchases so will make the price even better

No thank you it does help balancing my thoughts. My Sony was a top end in 2012 but did have relatively weak blacks (0.06cm2) and didn't go anywhere as bright as the Sony does. It's edge lit too so it has to sacrifice blacks much more frequently to light bright parts of the image. It only has 16 zones in total.

I am just not sure which way I want to lean really. I love Sony processing, but I probably would be happier with reduced blooming even if it slightly hindered blacks. Although if it fluctuated up and down a lot I would find that annoying.

I also found I had 5 Sony TV's and all had banding and some form of clouding, but again at the time they were all edgelit.

What is the price of the Q90R doing in the UK? Here in The Netherlands it is 200-400eu cheaper than the Q80T. IMO, the Q90R looks like a significantly better tv, except for dynamic contrast enhancement in HDR. Besides it displaying less blooming, it also has the viewing angle and anti-glare filter.

Perhaps something to consider. The Q90R to seems like a more obvious upgrade/sidegrade over the xh95 than the Q80T IMO.

1590562254156.png
1590562324468.png

1590562566433.png

1590562464083.png

Managed to a price match from John Lewis for £1455 for the 55”
going to buy it in the next couple of days
there also doing a £100 e gift card on some electrical purchases so will make the price even better

Congratulations on your purchase! It would be great to hear your impressions if you have the time for that.

What is the price of the Q90R doing in the UK? Here in The Netherlands it is 200-400eu cheaper than the Q80T. IMO, the Q90R looks like a significantly better tv, except for dynamic contrast enhancement in HDR. Besides it displaying less blooming, it also has the viewing angle and anti-glare filter.

Perhaps something to consider. The Q90R to seems like a more obvious upgrade/sidegrade over the xh95 than the Q80T IMO.

View attachment 1307113View attachment 1307114
View attachment 1307116
View attachment 1307115

Thank you, unfortunately I'm not ready to buy just yet as I've just pre ordered the Sonos Arc :D

Maybe the Q90T will be a better choice Vs the Sony when prices reduce. I know it has less zones than the Q90R but it's still reviewing well.

Guess time will tell :)

Just a note about Samsung, the sets lacks Dolby Vision. That’s a no for me, especially with the content I watch on Netflix etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom