Sony XH90 or Philips 8545? I need help as soon as possible

dya80

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a Philips 8545. It isn't bright enough for my room. Its brightness is only 400 nits. I can't afford Sony XH95. Should I return my Philips and buy Sony XH90? I read that this Sony is a low-end tv and it's overpriced. It's much more expensive than Philips and what if it's not too good? If there isn't a big difference between them maybe I should keep the Philips. Are there big differences between these? If the picture quality is the same I don't want to spend much more. But I need a tv with better brightness. I hope that someone can help me. I need an answer as soon as possible. I don't want to be disappointed because Sony can't offer too much. It's so expensive. I need good picture quality and brightness. Is Sony XH90 good enough?

If you are using HDR material on the TV a TV like the XH9005 will still be too dark in some titles. In fact, HDR in general can tend to be darker. If SDR a TV like the XH9005 will be an improvement.

Thank you for your answers. I read more about this tv and some people returned it because the image was blurry. I have the same problem with Philips. I am worried because I don't want to spend so much on a tv with the same problem. The image is blurry on Philips on so many movies and even on SDR content. Everything looks blurry for me. I will add a picture. This picture doesn't have high brightness. It was at 49 and the maximum is 100. If I have the same problem with Sony it doesn't worth it.

Attachments

• 155990912_833137397236302_3768883982636636904_n.jpg
    155990912_833137397236302_3768883982636636904_n.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 148
Thank you for your answers. I read more about this tv and some people returned it because the image was blurry. I have the same problem with Philips. I am worried because I don't want to spend so much on a tv with the same problem. The image is blurry on Philips on so many movies and even on SDR content. Everything looks blurry for me. I will add a picture. This picture doesn't have high brightness. It was at 49 and the maximum is 100. If I have the same problem with Sony it doesn't worth it.
Either your phone has a bad camera or your TV is badly washed out. You are really just going to have to either buy a TV and give it a ago, returning it if you aren't happy, or wait u till you can go into a shop and see them for yourself.

No TV made in the last few years should have a blurry image. It really comes down to what content it is being fed.

Make sure to only view TVs using VA panels head on, and not at an angle. At an angle they will look washed out. See if you think its blurry still head-on.

Being washed out can be a sign of using HDR on a TV without good HDR capabilities too, so be sure to test with SDR only on your Philips.

The washed out HDR affect is why I keep telling people on here to not bother upgrading until they can hit capable HDR TVs in price, you will always be fighting a losing battle, even with a TV like the Sony XH9005 sometimes.

The image was on the series 'Behind her eyes'. Will these series look so bad on Sony? HDR was used and maybe this is why it looks like that. My Philips has only 400 nits. But what if it will look the same on that Sony? This would be so disappointing. I read that it's a bit brighter.

The image was on the series 'Behind her eyes'. Will these series look so bad on Sony? HDR was used and maybe this is why it looks like that. My Philips has only 400 nits. But what if it will look the same on that Sony? This would be so disappointing. I read that it's a bit brighter.
The Sony won't be as bad since its 750 nits instead of 400 nits (actually the Philips is probably less than 400 in practice). Although the Sony still falls short of the recommended 1000 and has very basic local dimming compared to higher end LCD TVs, so it will still give you some trouble in HDR.

It will depend on the title, its mastering process and also your viewing conditions. You might get away with the XH9005 if you view in darkness, but if you intend to use HDR during the day you may find the picture still looks washed out.

If the HDR title is something that demands high peak brightness, the Sony XH9005 will still fall short.

It is much better to not buy anything until you reach capable HDR TVs in price like the XH9505. The gain of picture quality with HDR is not a linear gain like it always was with TVs. Until you reach TVs that can display it properly, you get problems.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. So it's better to buy the XH9505. I will use the tv in a bright room. I hope that the price will drop.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. So it's better to buy the XH9505. I will use the tv in a bright room. I hope that the price will drop.
For reference on John Lewis the 75" XG9505 from 2019 seems to have reached £2000 (it's now sold out) so last years models may not fall much below that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom