Sony XH90 4K LCD TV Preview

observation - local dimming much more noticeable from angles, sitting at 45 degree angle its quite noticeable at time (this may be obvious not sure but an observation) front on view blooming is controlled very well i think.

Ok, complete waste of time going IKEA. Went against what I measured and asked the Mrs to measure from one stand to the other.. she had one job, and balls'd it! Waste of time!

Anyways, I've temporarily put it on top of my chest of draws. First off, make sure you read the instructions, I didn't and laid it down on the bed when it didn't need to. You can apply the feet while in its lower polystyrene.

The first thing that REALLY annoyed me was the amount of stickers that are put on the set. From peeling these off I've noticed the whole screen has a slight gap around the bezel, I'm assuming this is normal because it's all the way around.

*battery is going to die will update*

Picture:
Picture from first impressions is stunning, it's no where near as dim as I had previously prepared myself for after reading about peak brightness' online.

Colours are bang on the money. To be honest, the picture out the box looked great, usually that's something I dive straight into and crank a few things up. No blooming, black bars are as black as can be.

Motion is as what you would expect from a Sony tv, if not better than my previous Xe9305 as the Sports News Menu doesn't judder or change. I'm already more satisfied with this after having gone through 7 xe9305s and a recent Q90R.

So far so good, I'll happily update or answer any questions.

*Stand can't be adjusted. Feet slide in no screwing needed.*

*Stickers on the screen are a bloody nightmare and couldn't understand the reasoning for them*

*All four corners show some level of darkness, bottom right is most noticeable.

Attachments

• 15923424030904296538984305929687.jpg
    15923424030904296538984305929687.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 532
  • 15923425603288916832346694247280.jpg
    15923425603288916832346694247280.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Ok - after a few hours and a wasted hour or so in IKEA, I'm pleased with the purchase. (Not easily pleased believe me!)

Gaming:

Excellent, I noticed a huge improvement over the speed of the input lag from the xe9305 and picture quality in 'game mode' compared the Samsung Q90R.

I also noticed that it wasn't actually too shabby outside of game mode to be honest and that's something I'd pick up on. It didnt feel different to the xe9305 'in game mode'.

Only issue was when turning off the playstation I had this weird faint white like 'dse burn in' in the middle of the screen and then it cut to a screensaver. I dont see it on anything else or through tests and haven't seen it since. (Picture attached below) If someone could please tell me if they see a similar thing.

Netflix:

It's a hard one to put over text, I watched The Punisher and noticed you see things you wouldn't usually in detail but do in other things such as black hair detail. (If that makes any sense).

I've not connected it to internet just yet, although it did do a TV update on start up.🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm going to try and delay the installion of apps and all on this just yet as I'm sure from previous, all my IPTV apps messed with the sync somewhere along the line on me Xe93.

This android system is super responsive!

Last pet peeve so far that I've not been able to address is the sound. Theres no sound categories that I can find this year like 'cinema's or 'sports' etc. I've heard better sound on lesser sets but that's my only negative.

Overall - it's a good step in the right direction for the next set of tvs we'll be seeing for ps5 and beyond.

Attachments

• 20200617_015726.jpg
    20200617_015726.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 552
  • 20200617_015724.jpg
    20200617_015724.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 509
  • 20200617_005038.jpg
    20200617_005038.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 510
  • 20200617_005036.jpg
    20200617_005036.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
With regards to the weird white patches, setting the local dimming from off to medium completely fixed this. But if someone could still please check with switching off the console with it 'off' to see the difference that would be really helpful.

I'm hoping it's just my OCD messing around and it's a normal thing with it set as off.

Attachments

• 20200617_015726.jpg
    20200617_015726.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 515
With regards to the weird white patches, setting the local dimming from off to medium completely fixed this. But if someone could still please check with switching off the console with it 'off' to see the difference that would be really helpful.

I'm hoping it's just my OCD messing around and it's a normal thing with it set as off.

It's clouding, basically uneven backlight uniformity. Depends if you see it while watching content. As you say, local dimming should be on standard or high for content. Even in game mode you should have it on to get the best from the TV. I've seen worse uniformity but I've seen better too unfortunately.

A part of me is thinking to return the set (clouding with dimming off) and wait until someone does this to the Xh9505.

A part of me is thinking to return the set (clouding with dimming off) and wait until someone does this to the Xh9505.

But can you see it in use? What does it matter if that is never how you use the TV? If you can, fair enough. If it niggles you though I'd return, they're not all like that though I imagine.

My 55HX853 looks bad wth local dimming off, but with it on it looks fantastic and I never see the clouding in use.

All 9000 series have clouding/backlight bleed with local dimming off, like every other direct LED and edge LED LCD TV without local dimming. Clouding/backlight bleed varies from panel to panel but as long as you can't see it with local dimming on medium it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
The 65 inch Xh9005 has been ordered through Richer Sounds who quite frankly has provided me exceptional customer service. Not sure on delivery date but looking forward to its arrival

All 9000 series have clouding/backlight bleed with local dimming off, like every other direct LED and edge LED LCD TV without local dimming. Clouding/backlight bleed varies from panel to panel but as long as you can't see it with local dimming on medium it shouldn't be a problem.

You're right, even with it even set as 'low' its completely gone. I feel I'm satisfied and happy with the set. There's a slight dark thumb shadow that nearly gave me another meltdown, just off the lower left/centre but I've only noticed it from watching the live football when if pans quickly from end to end. I could swap it with a replacement and end with a dead pixel or massive banding... and I need to remember I've got 5 years warranty with JL, I dont want to end up with a huge replacement profile🤣😂🤣😂

Gaming is really, REALLY good from previously owned xe9305/Q90R with fantastic responsiveness, and how I've missed good input lag in 1080p for my modded ps classic and retrofreak. 😍

It's a tidy little tv. I'm going to look into getting a decent soundbar for that little bit of extra punch but not sure what's good.

If you're like me and like playing with settings to the max I do miss the edge enhancer and motion is 🤮 with it set as off, so I do recommend just setting it to whatever suits you but through custom.

I look forward to seeing more reviews, and seeing your opinions. If theres anything I can help you guys with, I'll be happy to help in anyway possible.

*please don't judge me with fortnite, it's become a lockdown guilty pleasure but it's a good marker for colour and responsiveness.* *The camera doesn't do the colours justice.*

Attachments

• 20200617_005044.jpg
    20200617_005044.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 20200617_013111.jpg
    20200617_013111.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Aygo1989 can you confirm what remote control comes with the tv? I must say I love the Samsung remote from my ks8000.

Fifa should be illegal on this set. I now know why I've gone through so many game controllers with other tvs. I spent a whole evening on a wide variety of games without having to button smash.

I'm still struggling to work out why the motion in games is perfect but finding the right settings for the firestick and sky an absolute headache. I used to just use standard on my previous and that was it. Have they changed the technology? I'm definitely thinking this is a game base TV, whereas the Xh9505 is more for film enthusiasts'.

20200618_000426.jpg

@aygo1989 So motionflow on 1 and clearness on 0 (or 1/1) is not the same as old Standard setting? I love Standard setting on my old Sony, perfect motion without SOE and if you're telling me we can't recreate this in those new settings then it's bad :(

@aygo1989 So motionflow on 1 and clearness on 0 (or 1/1) is not the same as old Standard setting? I love Standard setting on my old Sony, perfect motion without SOE and if you're telling me we can't recreate this in those new settings then it's bad :(

Unfortunately not, I used to use smooth or clear. Now it's just Auto, custom or off. On my firestick I get random judder like on my old ks9000, any text on say a sky news is brilliant it doesn't fluctuate after 4/5 seconds but sometimes movement of say someone on screen doesn't look quite right and smooth even with everything cranked up..

Watching with the motion set as off or even just changing film mode from auto to off just makes everything unwatchable.

I'm trying to think of this tv as being a completely different breed due to some of the new tech and throwing my old settings out the window. I've had to crank sharpness and reality creation past 65, as theres no more edge enhancer which I used to love for that sharper outline.

Maybe it's from where I've gone from the xe9305 which had a 1000hz display which is a better chip?

If theres no reviews up by the end of the week I'm happy to do a live video over youtube if anyone wants to see anything in particular. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unfortunately not, I used to use smooth or clear. Now it's just Auto, custom or off. On my firestick I get random judder like on my old ks9000, any text on say a sky news is brilliant it doesn't fluctuate after 4/5 seconds but sometimes movement of say someone on screen doesn't look quite right and smooth even with everything cranked up..

Watching with the motion set as off or even just changing film mode from auto to off just makes everything unwatchable.

I'm trying to think of this tv as being a completely different breed due to some of the new tech and throwing my old settings out the window. I've had to crank sharpness and reality creation past 65, as theres no more edge enhancer which I used to love for that sharper outline.

Maybe it's from where I've gone from the xe9305 which had a 1000hz display which is a better chip?

If theres no reviews up by the end of the week I'm happy to do a live video over youtube if anyone wants to see anything in particular. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow you certainly like a different looking picture then! :eek:

Try this
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness 2 or 3
Clearness: Min
Film mode off

Does XH9005 still have Film mode, High, Medium and Low, like it used to be with X1 and X1 Extreme or just Auto and off like with X1 Ultimate? If it has then go with Film mode Low

And how much can you set smoothness, min, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, max or just min, 1, 2, 3, max?

Try this
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness 2 or 3
Clearness: Min
Film mode off

Does XH9005 still have Film mode, High, Medium and Low, like it used to be with X1 and X1 Extreme or just Auto and off like with X1 Ultimate? If it has then go with Film mode Low

And how much can you set smoothness, min, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, max or just min, 1, 2, 3, max?

I'm coaching until 1pm today but will check for confirmation this afternoon.

I'm sure the clearness and motion can only be adjusted between 0/2, 1/2, or 2/2, where as before on the xe93 it was on a scale of 0 - 5.

Theres only 1 film mode, it only gives you the option of on or off.

I'm coaching until 1pm today but will check for confirmation this afternoon.

I'm sure the clearness and motion can only be adjusted between 0/2, 1/2, or 2/2, where as before on the xe93 it was on a scale of 0 - 5.

Theres only 1 film mode, it only gives you the option of on or off.

I see, so now it's the same as with X1 Ultimate processor, interesting that Sony changed this even on X1 processor because the old motion system on X1 and X1 Extreme was better and had more options than on X1 Ultimate which is a bit more limited.

XE93 has 120 Hz panel so it's not that. XH95's pixel response time is significantly faster than XE93's and it's probable that XH90 is faster as well. Faster pixel response time = more juddery motion, because the frame hold time increases. This isn't a problem for games, since they - hopefully - have a much, much higher fps than 24 or even 50.

I've had a great afternoon in just playing with settings and taking a few risks until the pictures tailored to what I wanted, regardless if the settings were ones I'd usually stay clear of.

I found the Sky Q looked better with being set in 1080i and allowing the tv to upscale. Watching SWAT (episode 1) in UHD showed the screen pulsing' in night scenes with street lamps and hill top city views, but werent sure it it was content/tv.

I decided to connect the set to the internet, even thought it had previously updated without being connected on initial set up, there was a 2nd minor performance update that didnt give any exact details.

I've proceeded going through, sending youtube from my phone, that didn't allow me to change interface options (resolution to 4k) so decided to go directly through the tv's app where it did. Some of the colours and visuals were really good. I noticed some blooming in certain scenes but it happens and nothing major to the XF and XG models.

I've come to the conclusion that Sony are holding some of their cards close to their chest for an update at a later date as they dont want this midrange set out performing their slightly more expensive Xh9505, plus they would be some pretty disgruntled buyers who got that rather than the latter at a cheaper price.

It kind of reminds me of Sony's W905 being it's best tv one year and the W955 wedge design was the 'poorer' relation but had the slight better gaming responsiveness, man did I love the tv!

Attachments

• 20200618_145438.jpg
    20200618_145438.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200618_145244.jpg
    20200618_145244.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 15924895035217624248144684210079.jpg
    15924895035217624248144684210079.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 365
I'm still waiting to get my TV as Richer Sounds have messed up! I ordered weeks ago and both mine and the girlfriend had TV delivery yesterday. Only trouble is, where she got the right TV, I got the XH95. As I mainly do gaming, I want the XH90!

I have been on the phone with Richer Sounds multiple times but they don't have a clue what happened and don't know if my TV is still sat in the warehouse somewhere or if it has been sent out to someone else. They don't even know when they will be getting more in stock and of course now the 10% Sony discount has ended I can't even get a refund and order from anywhere else for the same price. So frustrating!

I'm still waiting to get my TV as Richer Sounds have messed up! I ordered weeks ago and both mine and the girlfriend had TV delivery yesterday. Only trouble is, where she got the right TV, I got the XH95. As I mainly do gaming, I want the XH90!

I have been on the phone with Richer Sounds multiple times but they don't have a clue what happened and don't know if my TV is still sat in the warehouse somewhere or if it has been sent out to someone else. They don't even know when they will be getting more in stock and of course now the 10% Sony discount has ended I can't even get a refund and order from anywhere else for the same price. So frustrating!

Ah, that's a bummer. Have you considered keeping the Xh95 and selling it for a little bit profit as it's more expensive? You could put it towards a soundbar or something. Turn the negative into a positive.

I called John Lewis with regards to mine earlier this morning and they're sending me a replacement first thing tomorrow morning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom