Sony Xg9505 Vs Samsung Q80t

sean1990

Standard Member
I recently ordered the Sony XF9005 @£649 but failed to be delivered after a month of waiting as the supplier couldn't get it back in stock. I now have a choice to make between the Sony 55 XG9505 @££850 & Samsung Q80T 55" @£935. What would be the best option I like casual gaming Xbox x, and love movies on all the big streaming channels so her movies are a big thing. I will be sitting directly in front of the screen but will be slightly looking up as it on the wall what would be best thanks for the help

Dodgexander

The Sony XG9505 being a discounted 2019 model is much better value than the Samsung that is a newly released 2020 model.

The Samsung is closer to the new Sony XH9005 or the Sony XF9005, whereas the Sony XG9505 is closer to the new higher end Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T.

sean1990

Standard Member
The Sony XG9505 being a discounted 2019 model is much better value than the Samsung that is a newly released 2020 model.

The Samsung is closer to the new Sony XH9005 or the Sony XF9005, whereas the Sony XG9505 is closer to the new higher end Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T.
Thanks for the help I'm just wondering if both those TVs were the same price would the Samsung be a better pick? Really torn between the 2 the Samsung is more future proof but the Sony can give a better more natural picture but suffers from bloom do you think that is something I should worry about considering I watch a lot of movies I think if I am to get the new Xbox I will get a monitor for it instead of using the TV anyway.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The Sony also has Dolby Vision, the Samsung doesn't.

All LCD TV's will suffer from bloom to some extent.

The Sony is a capable HDR TV. The Samsung is the bare minimum required and no more. If they were the same price, I'd still buy the Sony.
It would take a Samsung Q90/95 to change that opinion.

pastrybloke19

Go for the Sony: XG9505 is a step above the 80T.

if you really wanna push the boat out, get a 65” version....:D

Dodgexander

Thanks for the help I'm just wondering if both those TVs were the same price would the Samsung be a better pick?
No, that's what I was trying to say in my first post. The Samsung is newly released so costs more than it should whilst the Sony is fully discounted.

To use an analogy between the Samsung and the Sony it is like going to a car showroom and choosing between a 2019 model car that is larger, with a bigger engine and comparing it to a brand new 2020 smaller car with a smaller engine. The new car may cost the same as the old one, but that is because the new one is brand new off the shelf, whilst the older one has been discounted because it hasn't sold in a year.

Its always better to buy the older model...and if you want the newer model instead, its better to wait and buy at a later stage.

This is something a lot of people will be thinking about at the moment because of the new consoles being released. They want the new features that come on the newer TVs, but you have to understand if you want those new features and you want to buy now (or even black friday) you aren't going to get as much picture quality for the money.

A much more sensible thing to do is if you want the newer product, is to wait to buy at a time when the product hasn't just been released. TVs can cost as much as 50% more than they are worth at this time of year. Black Friday is the very soonest you should consider buying a TV at all, and spring time each year is the very best time to get the best deals.

Last edited:

Clearandcolour

No, that's what I was trying to say in my first post. The Samsung is newly released so costs more than it should whilst the Sony is fully discounted.

To use an analogy between the Samsung and the Sony it is like going to a car showroom and choosing between a 2020 model car that is larger, with a bigger engine and comparing it to a brand new smaller car with a smaller engine. The new car may cost the same as the old one, but that is because the new one is brand new off the shelf, whilst the older one has been discounted because it hasn't sold in a year.

Its always better to buy the older model...and if you want the newer model instead, its better to wait and buy at a later stage.

This is something a lot of people will be thinking about at the moment because of the new consoles being released. They want the new features that come on the newer TVs, but you have to understand if you want those new features and you want to buy now (or even black friday) you aren't going to get as much picture quality for the money.

A much more sensible thing to do is if you want the newer product, is to wait to buy at a time when the product hasn't just been released. TVs can cost as much as 50% more than they are worth at this time of year. Black Friday is the very soonest you should consider buying a TV at all, and spring time each year is the very best time to get the best deals.
#Dodgexander : "" To use an analogy between the Samsung and the Sony it is like going to a car showroom and choosing between a 2020 model car that is larger, with a bigger engine and comparing it to a brand new smaller car with a smaller engine. The new car may cost the same as the old one, but that is because the new one is brand new off the shelf, whilst the older one has been discounted because it hasn't sold in a year.""

?????????????? The other way around !

sean1990

Standard Member
Just to let you know I now have the Sony XG9505 and I am super impressed with it the picture quality is amazing the sound is great without the soundbar and haven't noticed any blooming as of yet. HDR/ Dolby Vision movies look amazing totally different from my old LG TV

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom