Sony XG9505 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion thread

simply electrics about a week ago had it on but gone back up now,

Thanks I'll hold off and see if any more discounts arise.

Though as they still have stock of this which is last years model and new models due out for 2021 and 2020 models to clear I'm hopeful we might see some more discounts.

Hello guyz!!!
Im kinda new here but i've been reading this forum for few months now...
I just wanna share my experience with my 55XG95, i know this is not the right forum but its kinda related though :D
I have my X95G for more than a month now, i actually aiming for XH95 but unfortunately i dont think it will be release in our country, thats why i bought XG95 which discounted already like 40% off :D
Anyway here is my experience, i read Danny post few weeks ago about XH95 firmware which i tried and so far i dont encounter any problem, i just noticed that PQ, motion, sounds, viewing angle n FALD are improve a lot, but honestly im not sure if it was really improve or i just believe it is, u guyz decide if it was improve :)
Anyway i attached some snap shot of my TV, blooming is less evident irl viewing...
I have a question guyz, i cant find any option for Ambient optimization or the auto acoustic calibration, i hope u guyz can walk me through it, thanks so much...

Attachments

• 20200705_204309.jpg
    20200705_204309.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200705_204257.jpg
    20200705_204257.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 20200705_203908.jpg
    20200705_203908.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200705_203854.jpg
    20200705_203854.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 195
Thats one of the issues. The other is that people have to endure SOE to benefit from X-Motion Clarity

As i said XG95 is not affected by the issue.
But that raises another issue - what happens if you have the XG95 running the XH95 firmware. Does it break X-Motion Clarity forcing interpolation on you ...

Whats the deal here with people putting XH95 software on the XG95? Wont this invalidate any warranty, and lead to possible compatibility issues? Is it done because they are essentially the same sets but with different software?

Yes apparently the XG and the XH have the same motherboards. People have being using the XH firmware on the XG with positive results on the image. But once you put XH firmware on, you can't go back.

This difference is supposed to happen but I haven’t tried in mine yet.

It seems that it has more to do with the brightness than anything, as even the white shape is less bright with the XH firmware. If the brightness is lowered, of course blooming will be less noticeable. But one can do that adjusting the brightness anyway...

Thats one of the issues. The other is that people have to endure SOE to benefit from X-Motion Clarity

As i said XG95 is not affected by the issue.
But that raises another issue - what happens if you have the XG95 running the XH95 firmware. Does it break X-Motion Clarity forcing interpolation on you ...
Hummmnnnnnn
I dont see any force interpolation, ever since i updated my XG95 to XH firmware everything seems improved, the only thing i notice is that i dont get the ambient optimization which is a feature of XH models, i guess the ambient optimization is a added hardware n cant be acquire from firmware...
Anyway before i tweaked my motion settings, i always experience those judder when watching movies, after the adjustment everything is smoothly now n i dont see any SOE using smoothness 1

It seems that it has more to do with the brightness than anything, as even the white shape is less bright with the XH firmware. If the brightness is lowered, of course blooming will be less noticeable. But one can do that adjusting the brightness anyway...

I understand your sentiment, but dimming highlights against a dark background is not the same as simply lowering brightness. Specifically, the former does not impact full field brightness and highlights against a bright background.

Dimming highlights against a dark background is necessary to work around the limited native contrast of the lcd panel, and IMO seems desirable. Specifically, blooming is a picture inaccuracy which is more noticeable (out of place) than muted highlights, which is a more benign picture inaccuracy instead.

Such dimming strategy should thus only be applied in specific scenes, and yields the optimal accurate PQ for LCDs in a dark room. In a bright room highlights should not be muted, since black level is less important. A well engineered LCD would be able to adjust the FALD algorithm based on the ambient light sensor. Instead, Sony LCDs allow you to select either approach manually. Samsung only provides FALD settings that mute highlights afaik.

This difference is supposed to happen but I haven’t tried in mine yet.

Since i updated my firmware into XH firmware, the right image of the video is what im experiencing now, u can really see those blooming when movie credit rolls...
Dont think updating firmware will affect the warranty...

Yes apparently the XG and the XH have the same motherboards. People have being using the XH firmware on the XG with positive results on the image. But once you put XH firmware on, you can't go back.

Surely this will invalidate the warranty though?

Since i updated my firmware into XH firmware, the right image of the video is what im experiencing now, u can really see those blooming when movie credit rolls...
Dont think updating firmware will affect the warranty...

Has anyone asked? I'm pretty sure it will do.

Nothing to do with brightness. Brightness levels are the same on both TVs. Its about Sony's 2020 dimming algorithm being available only in the H firmware

It won't in EU. You have hardware warranty not software one

I'm in the UK so very sadly not in the EU anymore, would that affect things? I might ring Sony to ask them, as if it is still covered I might get the XG95 and update this way.

I understand your sentiment, but dimming highlights against a dark background is not the same as simply lowering brightness. Specifically, the former does not impact full field brightness and highlights against a bright background.

Dimming highlights against a dark background is necessary to work around the limited native contrast of the lcd panel, and IMO seems desirable. Specifically, blooming is a picture inaccuracy which is more noticeable (out of place) than muted highlights, which is a more benign picture inaccuracy instead.

Such dimming strategy should thus only be applied in specific scenes, and yields the optimal accurate PQ for LCDs in a dark room. In a bright room highlights should not be muted, since black level is less important. A well engineered LCD would be able to adjust the FALD algorithm based on the ambient light sensor. Instead, Sony LCDs allow you to select either approach manually. Samsung only provides FALD settings that mute highlights afaik.

I might update the TV with that firmware, since it doesn’t do what the Samsung TVs do which is to dim highlights too much.

I'm in the UK so very sadly not in the EU anymore, would that affect things? I might ring Sony to ask them, as if it is still covered I might get the XG95 and update this way.

Why would you call Sony ? They don't cover the warranty but the place you buy it from.

I guess calling Sony will tell u that altering TVs firmware will void warranty, but the the firmware is official release by sony, if something bad happen when u update XG95 to XH95 firmware its their fault for releasing firmware that can be install to other model of their TV, they should implement model lock to their firmware like region lock to their firmware...
Anyway updating to different firmware is up to the user responsibility...

Why would you call Sony ? They don't cover the warranty but the place you buy it from.

That's not the case with Richer Sounds in the UK. The first five years are with Sony and the 6th year with Richer Sounds.

That's not the case with Richer Sounds in the UK. The first five years are with Sony and the 6th year with Richer Sounds.

Can confirm this. I had to deal with Sony regarding my warranty claim (2 year old TV).

I would be careful doing this with Sony. When I had issues with my TV I had to confirm that the latest Firmware was on the TV and send a photo of the Firmware version from the TV settings menu.

I would be careful doing this with Sony. When I had issues with my TV I had to confirm that the latest Firmware was on the TV and send a photo of the Firmware version from the TV settings menu.

I'll be amazed if this practice doesn't invalidate the warranty. When I last had an engineer out one of the first things he did was to check the firmware and back menus.

I'll be amazed if this practice doesn't invalidate the warranty. When I last had an engineer out one of the first things he did was to check the firmware and back menus.

I don't believe it will invalidate any warranty since nowhere in the warranty book which is the same everywhere in the EU ( including UK ) says anything about software modifications. Only hardware ones

I don't believe it will invalidate any warranty since nowhere in the warranty book which is the same everywhere in the EU ( including UK ) says anything about software modifications. Only hardware ones

Can you revert the set back to the XG95 software or once the XH95 is updated is that it?

A question to you who own the XG95. I messed around with the menus in a local tv-store today. On my "Sony 48W705C" there is an option to change the colour temperature, Warm, Cold 1, Cold 2 and so on.., is it possible to do the same on the XG95? Also, since the store had a crappy video-clip running i started Youtube and watched a 4K-video during which i messed around in the picture menu again. Is it possible to change the picture option to the "Game-preset" while watching the built in Youtube app 'cause i couldn't do it? I had to back out of the Youtube app to make it appear as an option again. Just for fun i took a picture of the XG95 at my local store and compared it to the same clip on my W705C at home (see pics below).

Attachments

• XG95 (store).JPG
    XG95 (store).JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 116
  • W705C (at home).JPG
    W705C (at home).JPG
    214 KB · Views: 100
How many XG95 owners have updated to the XH95 software? Any issues?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom