Question Sony XG9505 Audio Problems

Update 6.3626 helped me in USA for about 2 months. Sounds drops are far less. Still not perfect. Went from maybe 25 times a month, down to 2. I did a manual install, as over the air never
Update 6.3626 helped me in USA for about 2 months. Sounds drops are far less. Still not perfect. Went from maybe 25 times a month, down to 2. I did a manual install, as over the air never worked!

I'll try this new one tonight.
Was getting sudden audio dropout during Netflix, I changed passthrough in audio settings from off to auto and its been OK so far.

Be sure to do a hard reset when you encounter issues. Hold down green power button, and select reset! This TV is quite buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to do a hard reset when you encounter issues. Hold down green power button, and select reset! This TV is quite buggy.

The modern tv is really a computer , so like pcs and phones you really should do a weekly restart of the tv.

When off the tv isn't powered off fully like older tvs and is infact more akin to a pc in sleep mode. As time goes by memory is used up and caches are filled.

By restarting, you refresh memory on the tv and close and restart services fully.

The modern tv is really a computer , so like pcs and phones you really should do a weekly restart of the tv.

When off the tv isn't powered off fully like older tvs and is infact more akin to a pc in sleep mode. As time goes by memory is used up and caches are filled.

By restarting, you refresh memory on the tv and close and restart services fully.

It’s poor coding. TV should do all maintenance automatically.

It’s poor coding. TV should do all maintenance automatically.

I dont agree.
Does your pc or phone do this automatically?

Say your recording or watching something whilst it does that, then people would complain about tv restarting when it shouldn't?

Or even worse whilst in middle of a firmware update.

I know both my pc and phone dont auto restart, I have to manually restart them.

Whats so hard about restarting or as I do switch off at wall when done watching for the day.

I dont agree.
Does your pc or phone do this automatically?

Say your recording or watching something whilst it does that, then people would complain about tv restarting when it shouldn't?

Or even worse whilst in middle of a firmware update.

I know both my pc and phone dont auto restart, I have to manually restart them.

Whats so hard about restarting or as I do switch off at wall when done watching for the day.

You're entitled to your opinion, and have every right to disagree.

My Mac and iPhone are stable, and it's rare to restart over instability. If Sony TVs were stable, then routine restarts wouldn't be needed.

Neither my iPhone or Mac require routine restarts to fix bugginess. Because, they are STABLE. They are stable devices and have stable software/operating-systems. A stable OS automatically manages system resources. It's not that it's "hard" to restart, it's that it shouldn't be needed outside of software updates on a TV! Don't forget, this TV isn't cheap, and people pay in excess of $1k for this model. If it's a smart TV, then it should act smart!

TV's should be entertaining, and require low maintenance. There is a history of instability with Sony smart TVs. Just read this thread. What I'm staying, is that a stable TV shouldn't even encounter these issues. Customers are unhappy, so Sony is failing in that arena.

You're entitled to your opinion, and have every right to disagree.

My Mac and iPhone are stable, and it's rare to restart over instability. If Sony TVs were stable, then routine restarts wouldn't be needed.

Neither my iPhone or Mac require routine restarts to fix bugginess. Because, they are STABLE. They are stable devices and have stable software/operating-systems. A stable OS automatically manages system resources. It's not that it's "hard" to restart, it's that it shouldn't be needed outside of software updates on a TV! Don't forget, this TV isn't cheap, and people pay in excess of $1k for this model. If it's a smart TV, then it should act smart!

TV's should be entertaining, and require low maintenance. There is a history of instability with Sony smart TVs. Just read this thread. What I'm staying, is that a stable TV shouldn't even encounter these issues. Customers are unhappy, so Sony is failing in that arena.

Ill agree to disagree, I have owned several sony smart tvs and ive been happy with them all.

@The Grandfather - seems more streaming/app biased but could be related to the sound drop out issues you are having?
Worth detailing the kit, connections, and usage etc - as might be some alternate settings someone here could suggest trying?

Thanks to TB Rich for the above. I was recently loaned a copy of LE MANS 66 and tied to play it. My BlueRay player is a Panasonic DMP BDT180 which is about five months old and has all firmware updates done. Not the best player in the world but more than good enough for the use it gets in my house. The disc suffered from very regular audio drop outs plus I’m sure I heard a sort of “chirping noise” on occasion. The drop outs were bad enough for me to give up watching...... I should point out that I used to audio select button to cycle through all the sound options. They all gave the same drop out. The tv has updates enabled and one was done very recently.

This is the first BlueRay disc that I have tried to play. Normal old fashioned DVD discs are fine.
This makes me glad that I resisted temptation and did not buy a high end 4K player.

Come on Sony get a grip.

@jjayguy23 Post #83 Is absolutely correct.

TV's should be entertaining, and require low maintenance. There is a history of instability with Sony smart TVs. Just read this thread. What I'm staying, is that a stable TV shouldn't even encounter these issues. Customers are unhappy, so Sony is failing in that arena

Nick

Thought that I should say that I have cured my poor and broken sound problem. Originally I used anXO Platinum HDMI cable to connect the BlueRay player to the TV. I was given the cable and as it looked super and wizzy I used it for the connection that would need the most bandwidth. In desperation I changed it for an old SKY HDMI cable that was in my old cable drawer.
Wonderful Le Mans 66 is booming out from my new sound bar. All cured.

Come on Nick get a grip and say sorry to your loverly Sony TV!
I hope everyone else’s problems are so easily cured.

Nick

I've had the 6.3632 update for a few days and still had a few drop outs. I can't say it's made any difference.

One negative though; the Netflix app no longer offers Atmos for any of their shows, just plain old 5.1. Had this happened to anyone else?

I've had the 6.3632 update for a few days and still had a few drop outs. I can't say it's made any difference.

One negative though; the Netflix app no longer offers Atmos for any of their shows, just plain old 5.1. Had this happened to anyone else?

Im still getting atmos on netflix.

Could it be the app?

Try a factory reset?

Last edited:
Im still getting atmos on netflix.

Could it be the app?

Try a factory reset?

It's the app. Just give it about 5 minutes to activate ATMOS, or give the TV a hard reset. Do NOT factory reset.

Last edited:
It's the app. Just give it about 5 minutes to activate ATMOS, or give the TV a hard reset. Do NO do a factory reset.

Why factory reset is easy to do and he had just updated firmware.

A factory reset after firmware update and experiencing any issues is always a good.fault finding step.

Why factory reset is easy to do and he had just updated firmware.

A factory reset after firmware update and experiencing any issues is always a good. fault finding step.

Factory reset is a nuisance, and has never helped me. This TV is unstable, and only Sony's software developers can fix it.

OK guys, I have the same issue with my 65x950g using HT-X9000F and my HT Z9F. Sony support told me to disable all the atmos and DTS features, I was like no.. So I did some playing around and noticed that when I disable the Advanced Auto Volume feature, I havent had a sound issue since, but it does feel like your sound bar loses some oompf when you disable this feature, just requires you to use utilize higher volume from your sound bar. With AAV on I use to have my volume at 32 for movies and now I need it at 48 to get the same volume output. Go to INPUT and select your soundbar, then advanced setup > audio > Advance Auto Volume (should be the last option on the list) turn it off. Hope it helps.

I run Auto 1, eARC enabled, DTS plus enabled, all the good stuff is enabled..

The one thing that really really bothers me is the problems that Sony has with their TV internal apps like Netflix and Prime Video, ... while playing higher definition audio formats and connect with an eARC to an external audio system, like an Atmos compatible soundbar. The same problem that still exist on the previous model as well X950G. They know about it and NEVER fixed it!

I currently still own a Sony X950G and Sony HT-Z9F soundbar set. They changed out the motherboard from my tv with a brand new one and the problems still remain. Audio drops or even completely cutes out, the only temporary solution is completely restart tv. This problem never occurs when playing content/movies from my Sony X800M2 4K player, but only when the audio source comes from the TV directly.

I would never recommend these Sony TV's except if they don't use the apps on the TV itself.

The one thing that really really bothers me is the problems that Sony has with their TV internal apps like Netflix and Prime Video, ... while playing higher definition audio formats and connect with an eARC to an external audio system, like an Atmos compatible soundbar. The same problem that still exist on the previous model as well X950G. They know about it and NEVER fixed it!

I currently still own a Sony X950G and Sony HT-Z9F soundbar set. They changed out the motherboard from my tv with a brand new one and the problems still remain. Audio drops or even completely cutes out, the only temporary solution is completely restart tv. This problem never occurs when playing content/movies from my Sony X800M2 4K player, but only when the audio source comes from the TV directly.

I would never recommend these Sony TV's except if they don't use the apps on the TV itself.

I never experienced this issue, using tv apps, though sb switched off at wall every night.
And tv rebooted twice a week, to clear memory caches.

Same with my other tv an xe9005, no issues on soundbar with it. It and the sb both switched off at wall when not using it.

And all of above on a cat 5 connection.

I never experienced this issue, using tv apps, though sb switched off at wall every night.
And tv rebooted twice a week, to clear memory caches.

Same with my other tv an xe9005, no issues on soundbar with it. It and the sb both switched off at wall when not using it.

And all of above on a cat 5 connection.
Good for you and the routine you have, but this shouldn’t or ever be the standard for any consumer product ever, especially at that price range.

Good for you and the routine you have, but this shouldn’t or ever be the standard for any consumer product ever, especially at that price range.

I work in it and rebooting computers weekly is the norm. Mordern tvs are computers.

And switching off devices when not used saves energy and helps with climate change!

i have the sony x950g , since January 2019 that i bought it, the sound cuts off and i have to unplug it. I have spoke with Sony customer service 12 times now, they keep saying sorry theres nothing we can do. ( one technician told me that they are aware of the problem for a long time and all of these models have this problem )
I am looking for class action lawsuit. Let me know if you are interested.

i have the sony x950g , since January 2019 that i bought it, the sound cuts off and i have to unplug it. I have spoke with Sony customer service 12 times now, they keep saying sorry theres nothing we can do. ( one technician told me that they are aware of the problem for a long time and all of these models have this problem )
I am looking for class action lawsuit. Let me know if you are interested.
I bought an Apple TV 4K and I got around the problem.

Well my Sony remote control doesnt work properly either. They have already sent me a new remote and same problem with the new one. and to pay 2000$ for this shit

An update has been released which should solve the audio dropouts through streaming apps.
I installed it yesterday but wasn't able to test it. This night I will check if it finally got fixed

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom