Question Sony Xf9005 Dolby vision passthrough on jbl bar 5.1

rgnav

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am the owner of the TV in the title and I nearly set on buying the soundbar in the title.
The connection would be:
1) tv arc to soundbar arc
2) tv box and ps4pro to non-arc hdmi to soundbar

Would I be able to see DV content from netflix/Amazon prime video with the soundbar?

Would I be able to play hdr games or do I need to connect the ps4pro to the TV arc?

A bit confused.

Hello everyone, I am the owner of the TV in the title and I nearly set on buying the soundbar in the title.
The connection would be:
1) tv arc to soundbar arc
2) tv box and ps4pro to non-arc hdmi to soundbar

Would I be able to see DV content from netflix/Amazon prime video with the soundbar?

Would I be able to play hdr games or do I need to connect the ps4pro to the TV arc?

A bit confused.
In theory, the bar supports 4K hdr passthrough, so HDR from Netflix and Amazon Prime should be fine. However, I don’t believe that the PS4 pro supports DV, so pushing it through the JBL would be ineffective. In order to watch DV, Ibelieve you need to use the native TV apps.

As a general rule of thumb, although passthrough works, it can be flakey, and involves messing around with input/outputnsettings on the bar when you want to switch. If possible, my advice would be to directly connect the PS4 Pro to HDMI 3 if possible, and the set top box (not Sky Q or BT 4K I’m assuming) into either HDMI 1 or 4, and just use the remote should up you want to change inputs.

Built in TV apps will only use ARC connection. Same goes for anything plugged into the TV HDMI ports using ARC.

The TV features will not be affected so any internal apps that support Dolby Vision HDR will continue to work.

If you plug devices into the soundbar however it must support 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision to pass through those formats to the TV. If this is the JBL bar your referring to it supports 4K HDR10 but that's all I could find, there is no mention of audio formats, some listed here on review.

The bar seems to only support Dolby/DTS 5.1, this is what ARC supports too.

As such there is no reason to plug your PS4 Pro into the soundbar as the best audio the PS4 Pro can get is PCM 7.1 audio which the JBL bar does not support (& does not work over ARC) so you would have to settle for Dolby/DTS 5.1 which also works over ARC.

Hello and thanks for the replies.
My daily usage of the devices is the following:
-wife watching local broadcast channels through tv box (so nothing 4k hdr)
- me watching DV/HDR10/sdr content through netflix and Amazon video from tv built in app
-me playing hdr games with the ps4pro

I would like to know if I would have any problems and/or what would be the connection setup to go.

Thanks a lot again for the answers.

Hello and thanks for the replies.
My daily usage of the devices is the following:
-wife watching local broadcast channels through tv box (so nothing 4k hdr)
- me watching DV/HDR10/sdr content through netflix and Amazon video from tv built in app
-me playing hdr games with the ps4pro

I would like to know if I would have any problems and/or what would be the connection setup to go.

Thanks a lot again for the answers.
For me, recommend set up

HDMI 1 - HDMI cable to HDMI OUT port on tv box
HDMI 2 (ARC) - HDMI cable to the JBL Bar ARC port (in sound settings change all sound out to HDMI)
HDMI 3 - HDMI cable (Ultra High Speed Certified, or the cable you got with the PS4 will do) to the HDMI out port on the PS4.
HDMI 4 is vacant.

The reason that the must go in this order is that only 2 of the 4 ports on the TV support full 4K high bandwidth, these are HDMI 2 and 3. HDMI 2 has to be used for the soundbar, meaning the PS4 must be connected to HDMI 3 in order to output the best picture in the video output menu.

When you watch Netflix, YouTube and Amazon HDR or DV, you will do this through the native TV apps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom