• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Sony XF90 or Samsung Q70R

mek92

Standard Member
Hello.
New on this forum.

Hope it is okay to ask.
I'm thinking about getting a new tv, the one I have now is a Sony W805.
I'm thinking about getting the Sony XF9005 55" (which I can get for about 790$/670euro) either that or the Samsung Q70R at the same price.

The problem is, I can't decide between the two.
The tv will mostly be used for streaming (netflix, amazon, hbo and so on) and a little bit af gaming (PS4)
I like that the samsung has the airplay 2 feature, as my wife and I both have iphones and ipads.
But the sony has chromecast.

Al this 4k, HDR is new to me. The only place I have seen it, is in the stores.

But what are the pros/cons for each tv?

Dodgexander

Hey and welcome to the forum! These are two TVs that have been compared a lot previously as they sit at the same price point usually.

The Sony overall is the better TV for video content, its motion is more well regarded, its picture accuracy is better in HDR mode and it is technically a better overall TV with picture quality due a superior anti glare filter. It comes with Dolby Vision HDR support which is more useful than HDR10+ on the Samsung.

But on the other hand the Samsung is the better gaming TV. It comes with more up to date HDMI ports. 4x HDMI v2 versus 2x hdmi 1.4 and 2x hdmi 2 on the Sony. It is a better TV for gaming due to some Samsung exclusive motion settings you can use without leaving game mode and its smart TV is a much better overall platform compared to Android TV on the Sony. The Samsung is also a model released in 2019 compared to the Sony 2018.

Neither TV really is a slouch in gaming, and neither with video either. So if you feel smart TV is important and you want airplay integration, go with the Samsung.

hkrdan

Hi, apologies for bringing up an older thread, but can anyone expand on the difference in HDR quality and even standard HD quality between these two sets?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi, apologies for bringing up an older thread, but can anyone expand on the difference in HDR quality and even standard HD quality between these two sets?

The XF9005 is just the much better set for everything apart from the HDMI ports. It has FALD, better black levels and much better HDR performance. The android performance is also very good, I have the set and have never had any issues at all.

Dodgexander

Already answered above but:

HD (High Definition) is a resolution. Other resolutions include SD (Standard Definition) and UHD (Ultra High Definition).

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is not a resolution, and is about bringing gains to the picture in bright highlights, and thus better contrast. HDR content also has better colours.

As it happens SD and HD resolution content usually don't come with HDR data, so this content is referred to as 'SDR' (Standard Dynamic Range).

On the other hand most UHD content does come with HDR data.

hkrdan

Appreciate the info, although I’m already aware of that. I was asking about comparing the HD and HDR capabilities of the two aforementioned sets.

Dodgexander

Appreciate the info, although I’m already aware of that. I was asking about comparing the HD and HDR capabilities of the two aforementioned sets.
With upscaling of HD material, both TVs are very good. Nothing between them.

With HDR the Sony edges it if you value picture accuracy, whilst the Samsung if you value screen uniformity. Otherwise they are very similar and are the first foray into true HDR from each manufacturers lineups.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom