Sony XF90 (KD-55XF9005) Review & Comments

A fair review @Phil Hinton - I admit I use my XE90 as a monitor, keeping it off the Internet seems to help to not confuse its little brain :)

I do wonder if you might consider adding a comment to mention disabling YouView as a mitigation, as keeping that enabled seems to cause real misery to the UK-based 2017 Sony owners based on the discussion threads here.

Thanks for review Phil. I can’t remember any but do you have any examples where DV has been introduced at a later point and provided better results? Do you have any plans to test the 2018 LG FALD set?

Hi am i right in thinking that the older XE940 (75 inch model) is a better TV than this newer model.

Thanks for the great review as always and nice to see you doing them again, Phil.
Would like to see reviews of the Sony XF80 (IPS but apparently well managed!) and Hisense U7A (successor to the great N6800).

Please could you post the calibrated picture settings you use?
I'm interested in matching these on my XF90 to see if this makes the picture even more perfect.

@phil-hinton, thanks for the review:smashin:, can you comment on the HDR peak brightness which sounds a little strange at 705nits in true cinema mode at 10% window, the last review of the XE9005 came in at 936nits (maybe that was not in true cinema mode), my XE9005 in true cinema mode comes in at 717nits. So, sounds very similar as I thought it would be a lot brighter.

Cheers.:thumbsup:
That’s a no then.:laugh:

TV manufacturer are doing a very poor job with Android TV which is a fantastic OS on any 55€ box like Mi Box. 55 on public price...

I own the shield TV, and the experience and fluidity has been fantastic since day one. Shame on azll of them for using subpar hardware with an OS who could be decent without too much effort.

Does any of you guys know how much LED the 49" has ? and does this smaller size offer something "less" than the bigger ones ? i know the specs are the same, but manufacturers tend to make the lager sizes always with better panels or brightness etc...

As i see it this is the best sub 50" screen on the market, it is incredible than a manufacturer put out a TV with these impressive specs on a smaller model !!!

Dolby Vision Firmware Update has now been released for the 2018 XF90

Firmware version - v6.5603
released 24/05/2018

Benefits and improvements
  • Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.*
  • Introduces the feature of adding new apps to “My Apps” on the TV menu bar
  • Improves X-Motion Clarity control
    To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
Restrictions
  • Only for use with the products sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

If you don't use any smart features, still worth buying a Sony TV?

Definitely, I have owned two Sony TVs and they are both on service, if you want the best picture in class then get a Sony, preferably with HDR, it's bit more expensive but their 4k HDR is unbelievable.

Definitely. If anything the Smart TV elements of the Sony range are relatively weak - and an external Roku Streaming Stick or Apple TV 4K is a better streaming solution.

Where the Sonys win is their picture quality from a decent source, particularly their higher-end FALD LCDs like the XE/XF range (though beware XE frame repeat/drop bug)

Definitely. If anything the Smart TV elements of the Sony range are relatively weak - and an external Roku Streaming Stick or Apple TV 4K is a better streaming solution.

Where the Sonys win is their picture quality from a decent source, particularly their higher-end FALD LCDs like the XE/XF range (though beware XE frame repeat/drop bug)
I've been looking at the XE8596, and have no need for the smart features, so was wondering if the TV was still worth getting.

Don't want any hassle with input selecting etc - as long as that all works no problem then that's fine :)

I've been looking at the XE8596, and have no need for the smart features, so was wondering if the TV was still worth getting.

Don't want any hassle with input selecting etc - as long as that all works no problem then that's fine :)

The XE85xx series are frame dimming not full-array local dimming so won't deliver the same contrast range (Single backlight vs 60 separate backlight zones). Think they may also be 8-bit+FRC rather than full 10-bit panels.

So it's not just the Smart TV aspect that differentiates them.

The XE85xx series are frame dimming not full-array local dimming so won't deliver the same contrast range (Single backlight vs 60 separate backlight zones). Think they may also be 8-bit+FRC rather than full 10-bit panels.

So it's not just the Smart TV aspect that differentiates them.

The FALD sets are out of budget for me anyhow, and the XE85 is a 10 Bit panel - not that it really makes a difference :)

I bought a Sony KD49XE8077 Android TV for the bedroom a few months ago. It will be the last Android TV I ever buy. It's an utterly hopeless TV OS. Also, the built-in YouView is painfully slow.

55X930 here & I would have to disagree & agree. I find android on my set clunky at worst but YouView is indeed very slow.

Please could you post the calibrated picture settings you use?
I'm interested in matching these on my XF90 to see if this makes the picture even more perfect.
I am also interested in XF90 SETTINGS as I have just made the decision to purchase the 49XF9005 from Richer Sounds with free 4K Sony UBPX800 Blu-ray player.
Also hoping that a FITUEYES Universal Swivel TV stand from Amazon will be suitable to replace the Sony Tv's weird sticky-out feet:laugh:.
Phil, hoping you can provide the settings and that they will also apply to the 49"?.

Last edited:
I've currently got this setup;

Group Setting Value
Profile Cinema Pro
Brightness 33
Contrast 90
Gamma -1
Black level 50
Automatic local dimming High
Adv contrast enhancer Off
X-tended dynamic range Off

Colors
Color 50
Color balance 50
Color temperature Expert 1
Color space Auto
Color space Off
Adv. Color temp. Red gain Max
Green gain -4
Blue gain -6
Red bias 7
Green bias 7
Blue bias 1

Clarity
Sharpness 50
Reality creation Manuel
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K On
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation Off

MotionFlow 3
Film mode Off
Video function HDR mode Auto
HDMI video Auto
Color space Auto

I've currently got this setup;

Group Setting Value
Profile Cinema Pro
Brightness 33
Contrast 90
Gamma -1
Black level 50
Automatic local dimming High
Adv contrast enhancer Off
X-tended dynamic range Off

Colors
Color 50
Color balance 50
Color temperature Expert 1
Color space Auto
Color space Off
Adv. Color temp. Red gain Max
Green gain -4
Blue gain -6
Red bias 7
Green bias 7
Blue bias 1

Clarity
Sharpness 50
Reality creation Manuel
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K On
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation Off

MotionFlow 3
Film mode Off
Video function HDR mode Auto
HDMI video Auto
Color space Auto
Thanks for the very comprehensive listing @danlat1415.
The forum review also suggested turning off 'Light Sensor' and 'Black Adjust'...have you activated these?. Also 'Auto Picture Mode' should be off but I assume 'Cinema Pro' caters for this?.
In general, how satisfied are you with this TV?.

55X930 here & I would have to disagree & agree. I find android on my set clunky at worst but YouView is indeed very slow.

'Utterly hopeless' was a bit of hyperbole. 'Clunky' is a more fitting description. In an age where we're used to electronic equipment being very fast, the Android TV OS feels like a backwards step.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom