• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sony xf70 vs xf 80

Geforcepw

Novice Member
I am looking to buy either the Sony 49 inch xf70 or the newer model xf80 which is around £120 more expensive.
Am just wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks all

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
One is not newer than the other. Both are 2018 models.

XF80 has a wide colour gamut. Only useful if you watch hdr.

Do you view head on? And what’s your budget? There may be better options.

Dodgexander

You aren't far of the XF85 which would be the best value in your situation. If not, go for a 50" model in the guide. (not 49").

XF80/XF70 Sony models are a tad overpriced and they are for people who want wider viewing angles. Their picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast isn't great.

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
XF80/XF70 Sony models are a tad overpriced and they are for people who want wider viewing angles. Their picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast isn't great.
I would respectfully disagree wrt black levels on the XF80. I bought a Sony 42" XF8096 last month and its black levels are very similar to my Pioneer 8G Kuro plasma, the 428XD. The picture on the XF80 looks very natural & with great blacks when 'cinema pro' mode is chosen - other modes give an over processed, cartoonish type TV picture.

I would have gone for the Sony 42" XF85 but hated its duck feet stand, so settled for the XF80 which uses a more stylish stand. The only thing which the XF80 isn't great at is SD tv content but I suppose this applies to nearly all LED/LCD TVs.

OP, I would go and see the XF70 and XF80 at your nearest Sony Centre. There's nothing like seeing them in the flesh.

Last edited:

Analysis

Banned
I have a PS4 and like to watch movies via Blu-ray's or mkv files

Can you go bigger than 49"?

If so you could look at the 55" NU8000 which is going for £700-£800 and this is by far the best tv right now for gaming purposes, it's a good buy and was priced far more at one point than the others but you are buying at the right time due to clearance pricing starting, failing that the XF85 or the U7A from Hisense which is about £600, all of these have 120hz panels.

Or save a load and buy a 50" model like the UK6950 from LG or A series from Hisense, going for around £350-400, it just depends on your content at the end of the day, you can easily overspend.

XF90 is the bare minimum for HDR content if you plan on viewing any of this in the future.

General Buying Tips

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom