Sony xe9005 Youview and Freesat

nontechmike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting the 9005 but have heard in the past there may be an issue getting Youview and all the iPlayer/ITV player/All4/Demand5 if I dont have an aerial. I only have sat dish feeds for the TV. I know the Sony doesn't have a Freesat EPG although it has a Freesat tuner. So my questions are:
1. Is there an App you can load that effectively gives you Freesat EPG?
2. If I use my Freesat box instead of inbuilt tuner I guess this gets round the EPG issue but can I get Youview without an aerial?
3. Is Youview the only way to get all the Catch up services
4. Can Youview and Freesat (internal or external tuner) co-exist - I heard activating Youview dissables Freesat??

No current Sony television exists with an integral 'Freesat tuner' or Freesat EPG. The Sony may have an DVB-S2 tuner that will receive Astra 28.5 signals - including UK stations (but these will not display in the order you might expect).

There is NO app that will give you a Freesat EPG that integrates with your television.

If you want integral Freesat, then buy LG, Panasonic, or Samsung.

YouView requires a broadband connection to facilitate catch-up television services.

Well that's bloody stupid isn't it. So my brand new Sony XE9005 is worse off than my 4 year old Samsung TV. What a ridiculous setup!

Well that's bloody stupid isn't it. So my brand new Sony XE9005 is worse off than my 4 year old Samsung TV. What a ridiculous setup!
I thought this sucked too on my XE9305, although the youview/catch up works ok for me (albeit a bit slow).
Best solution for OP is to buy a seperate Humux Freesat PVR and not bother using the Sony smart platform at all.

It's probably just me being dense, but after tuning the satellite channels I cannot even work out how to view them. I turned off youview and am using the Sony EPG but I cannot even see an option for the satellite channels.

Sony appear not to want to pay for Freesat licensing of their TVs, and instead sell them with generic DVB-S2 tuners (that will work fine with most European satellite services - some of which still allow for a CAM to be used instead of a set-top box for Pay-TV)

From memory you could get to the DVB-S2 tuner either by going through the AV inputs or by cycling the Digital/Analog button?

Thanks, I have it working now. I had to retune the satellite channels again, perhaps I didn't save them correctly during initial setup.

Thinking of getting the 9005 but have heard in the past there may be an issue getting Youview and all the iPlayer/ITV player/All4/Demand5 if I dont have an aerial. I only have sat dish feeds for the TV. I know the Sony doesn't have a Freesat EPG although it has a Freesat tuner. So my questions are:
1. Is there an App you can load that effectively gives you Freesat EPG?
2. If I use my Freesat box instead of inbuilt tuner I guess this gets round the EPG issue but can I get Youview without an aerial?
3. Is Youview the only way to get all the Catch up services
4. Can Youview and Freesat (internal or external tuner) co-exist - I heard activating Youview dissables Freesat??

I wonder if there is a good way to load the old EPG (code), that works on the older Sony freesat TV models, onto the newer platforms?!?

Perhaps loading an older version of the smart os software (with freesat EPG functionality may do the trick??

Is this a viable solution Yes, no maybe?
Any ideas? E.g. How to revert to the old Sony freesat EPG software platform.
(This seems like overkill & loading an older Sony os may risk losing some (or all) of the other functions)

Thanks for any assistance,
Horgand
P.s. I have a Sony kd-55XE80xx, with a standard seagate hard disk, but as per other posters here, neither the satellite EPG or Youview works on the set, though the EPG works fine for digital terrestial TV on it ok. I'd like them all to work, it seems a reasonable ask to me.... Hey Sony?!? What do ye think other posters???

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom