Sony XE9005 Thread

D

Deleted member 795353

OK, please, clarify this:

The fact is that as soon as the TV detects HDR it sets automatically the brightness (back light) to maximum.
You, then, decrease it to 10?
Nooooooo.:)
The whole point of HDR is that you get the maximum range of contrast between darkness and highlights. So the TV sets the backlight at maximum to get the maximum highlight. If you change this the you are intefering with the HDR mechanism. This is the only part of the TV settings you should set to auto and almost never touch.

D

Deleted member 795353

SDR content is mastered to around 100nits, so you calibrate to around 100-120nits so setting a higher back-light than say 7 on the XE will be higher, at around say 20, you will be hitting around 250nits, so if you play back a HDR film that’s mastered correctly and your TV will set the back-light to max you do not touch it, and it will still look dull, because let’s say the film is shot in a living room with normal lighting, on SDR you hit say 90nits, on HDR you will hit around the same 90-100nits.

Now, if we have the back light set to 20 for SDR then you will be hitting around 200nits on the same content, now switch to HDR and you will be hitting 90-100nits still, do you see? HDR now will look darker. But in a brighter sunny set it will be different, but you get it.

Someone else maybe able to explain it better.:smashin:
I'm glad this was helpful for him but are you saying that you change the HDR settings?

Last edited by a moderator:

zeronero

I acrtuall

I'm glad this was helpful for him but are you saying that you change the HDR settings?

No, he is not.
Reading 007L2Kill's first post, I got the same impression, but as I have stated this was a misinterpretation on my part.
In his second post, he explained it great.

007L2Kill

'm glad this was helpful for him but are you saying that you change the HDR settings?
No mate, I never said anywhere I changed the settings? What I did say is when the TV sets the back-light to max, do not touch it.:)

Quote from my post.

your TV will set the back-light to max you do not touch it,

D

Deleted member 795353

No mate, I never said anywhere I changed the settings? What I did say is when the TV sets the back-light to max, do not touch it.:)

Quote from my post.
Ok on a 3rd read I get what you are saying now lol. Thanks.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
SDR content is mastered to around 100nits, so you calibrate to around 100-120nits so setting a higher back-light than say 7 on the XE will be higher, at around say 20, you will be hitting around 250nits, so if you play back a HDR film that’s mastered correctly and your TV will set the back-light to max you do not touch it, and it will still look dull, because let’s say the film is shot in a living room with normal lighting, on SDR you hit say 90nits, on HDR you will hit around the same 90-100nits.

Now, if we have the back light set to 20 for SDR then you will be hitting around 200nits on the same content, now switch to HDR and you will be hitting 90-100nits still, do you see? HDR now will look darker. But in a brighter sunny set it will be different, but you get it.

Someone else maybe able to explain it better.:smashin:

Worth adding that this is definitely true for PQ HDR systems (HDR10, Dolby Vision and HDR10+). These standards specify specific light outputs for specific video signal values.

SDR historically didn't do this - but displays were traditionally calibrated for 100nits peak (which is quite dim for many people) as this is what mastering monitors were set up for, and AIUI the BT1886 EOTF is based on this.

HLG HDR is different (and like SDR) it doesn't dictate specific signal value ranges to specific light level outputs, which is one reason it's better suited to live production and metadata-free paths. In fact HLG allows for ambient light level compensation - a totally opposite approach to PQ HDR systems.

stormy

There is a YouTube update, much better 4K performance. Now it does lag when bringing up the view bar.

Is this on the XE? I need to check that out, as I have disabled all auto updates due to the last Google app causing setting menu slow down. I wonder if that is fixed.

D

Deleted member 795353

Is this on the XE? I need to check that out, as I have disabled all auto updates due to the last Google app causing setting menu slow down. I wonder if that is fixed.
Yeah it's on the XE. It still takes forever to start up though. I didn't check if HDR was fixed but it isn't in the changelog so I guess it isn't.

Bat-man

I pretty much used all those AVF settings on my TV and it looks great. If only the frame repeat issue could be fixed I would be 99% happy now (especially now the PS4 supports iPlayer UHD so I don't need to worry about Sony fixing that on the TV).
Over on the XE Frame Repeat page there is this and it appears to work.

'in german board "hifi-forum.de" a member found a solution to fix the 50hz bug. There seems to be a problem with the A/V Sync option for Bluetooth devices that causes the frame repeat/drops (doesn't matter if you actually use bluetooth devices or not). To fix the bug you need to go to the home menu -> settings -> sound -> AV Sync -> "On". -> By using this workaround the frame repeat/drops should be fine.

stormy

'in german board "hifi-forum.de" a member found a solution to fix the 50hz bug. There seems to be a problem with the A/V Sync option for Bluetooth devices that causes the frame repeat/drops (doesn't matter if you actually use bluetooth devices or not). To fix the bug you need to go to the home menu -> settings -> sound -> AV Sync -> "On". -> By using this workaround the frame repeat/drops should be fine.

Yeh, that is looking very positive, still need to see it with my eyes but so far everyone is reporting it seems to fix it. :thumbsup:

007L2Kill

Let us know how you get on mate:smashin:, as I remember you seeing this a long time ago.

Fingers crossed.

Bat-man

Let us know how you get on mate:smashin:, as I remember you seeing this a long time ago.

Fingers crossed.
I'm watching 'susceptible' stuff on my XE right now and haven't seen a single frame repeat/drop in an hour of viewing.
I've emailed Sony about it too.

D

Deleted member 795353

I'm watching 'susceptible' stuff on my XE right now and haven't seen a single frame repeat/drop in an hour of viewing.
I've emailed Sony about it too.
What do I need to watch to see the frame drops? I have never ever noticed it.

Bat-man

What do I need to watch to see the frame drops? I have never ever noticed it.
Try the tennis this afternoon on the TV's Freview tuner.
However it's probably not the best. You need lots of movement and camera scene changes.
If you've never seen it you are very lucky.
I've had seven months of being frustrated by it!

stormy

Try the tennis this afternoon on the TV's Freview tuner.
However it's probably not the best. You need lots of movement and camera scene changes.
If you've never seen it you are very lucky.
I've had seven months of being frustrated by it!

Yeh it was tennis that did it for me, I never used to notice it until that but then I did go looking for it, more fool me. :D

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Check the other thread about frame repeats/drops - there appears to have been a development in solving this, or at least finding another route that stops it.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series