Sony XE90 (and also XE85) frame repeats/drops on 50/59.94 native content

mjmawson

Standard Member
Surely you can either see it or not? I don't have to record the picture to see the problem?

My last contact with Sony suggested they have now identified the issue and are working on a fix for it but, we shall see. :)

I had a similar response from them:

"Further to our communication regarding this case, I would like to confirm that AV-sync is not a resolution, it is a work around until we have a final resolution to this issue.

At the moment, the case is still under investigation and our engineers are working on it and this should be resolved in future software update.

For the latest developments, we recommend bookmarking this page:
Firmware update to v6.5603 | Sony UK "

SilentHill89

This is exactly why I returned it. I ain't keeping a £1,000+ television when it repeats itself after every scene. I don't know how I sat through the entirety of Spiderman Homecoming with this awful issue.

007L2Kill

This is exactly why I returned it. I ain't keeping a £1,000+ television when it repeats itself after every scene. I don't know how I sat through the entirety of Spiderman Homecoming with this awful issue.
The reason you were able to sit through Spiderman Homecoming with this issue was that it was not an issue for a 24p film, that works completely fine, it’s on high frame rate like 50Hz or 60Hz.

Did you read the thread before posting?:)

SilentHill89

The reason you were able to sit through Spiderman Homecoming with this issue was that it was not an issue for a 24p film, that works completely fine, it’s on high frame rate like 50Hz or 60Hz.

Did you read the thread before posting?:)
No the issue was very apparent even on films. I downloaded Spiderman from google play so it was streamed rather than from a physical disc. The frame repeating was horrendous throughout.

Bat-man

Danilo Italy

Novice Member
I tried the the new firmware. For me seems better the management of the different fps (25-30-24) on the screen. The last one in May was a mess for me. For the moment overall it seems better but I need more test.

Bat-man

Anybody hAve any luck with the new firmware? I don’t want to download it if it’s gunna break something.
I've downloaded it and installed it. No problems.

Scottygh

Novice Member
Hi guys, forgive me if off topic but I recently posted this on the Sky forum with nobody able to help. Is this what you are all experiencing without me having to read through every post? My TV is an older model, KD-49X8505B and is set to game mode.

Hoping somebody might have an idea on this. To add, if I rewind a little the judder doesn’t happen. Does this point to the TV? Many thanks all :)

Hi, Hoping somebody can give advice on this as it’s driving us crazy. Moved into a new home and had no problems with old Sky+ HD box on dish installed at property. Decided to go for Sky Q. Dish swapped and new Q box installed however, getting (noticed on BBC, ITV and channel 5) a very slight frame skip every half an hour or so, usually noticeable on faces. Can get a slight, best described as an ‘interferance noise, robotic voice’ if somebody is talking at the time it happens, for a split second, followed by the frame skip or just the skip on it’s own. Sky came and swapped the Q box, tested the cables and said nothing wrong with those or the dish. Signal 70, quality 90. The TV is a Sony 2013, using the HDMI supplied, no features enabled on TV such as motion control, smooth graduation, all are completely off. I honestly do believe that the signal is a good as it can be, but what is causing the frame skipping as Sky+ HD box didn’t have any frame skipping? I’ve tried to search the community for this exact frame skipping (jerky) picture issue but nothing pointing to it happening once, slightly, every half hour to an hour or so. It may not sound like a huge issue but still proving annoying. I’ve read about HDMI handshake, broadcast rates etc... but does anybody know what is happening with this? Many thanks

Mallett94

Hi guys, forgive me if off topic but I recently posted this on the Sky forum with nobody able to help. Is this what you are all experiencing without me having to read through every post? My TV is an older model, KD-49X8505B and is set to game mode.

Hoping somebody might have an idea on this. To add, if I rewind a little the judder doesn’t happen. Does this point to the TV? Many thanks all :)

Hi, Hoping somebody can give advice on this as it’s driving us crazy. Moved into a new home and had no problems with old Sky+ HD box on dish installed at property. Decided to go for Sky Q. Dish swapped and new Q box installed however, getting (noticed on BBC, ITV and channel 5) a very slight frame skip every half an hour or so, usually noticeable on faces. Can get a slight, best described as an ‘interferance noise, robotic voice’ if somebody is talking at the time it happens, for a split second, followed by the frame skip or just the skip on it’s own. Sky came and swapped the Q box, tested the cables and said nothing wrong with those or the dish. Signal 70, quality 90. The TV is a Sony 2013, using the HDMI supplied, no features enabled on TV such as motion control, smooth graduation, all are completely off. I honestly do believe that the signal is a good as it can be, but what is causing the frame skipping as Sky+ HD box didn’t have any frame skipping? I’ve tried to search the community for this exact frame skipping (jerky) picture issue but nothing pointing to it happening once, slightly, every half hour to an hour or so. It may not sound like a huge issue but still proving annoying. I’ve read about HDMI handshake, broadcast rates etc... but does anybody know what is happening with this? Many thanks

Try setting your sky q box to output 1080i (which all uktv hd channels are over satellite). Whenever you swap to a UHD channel you will be prompted to change the resolution of the box via a shortcut (I think by just pressing OK at the prompt). Once your UHD broadcast has finished just press Home 1 0 8 0 Home on the sky q remote and it will change the resolution back to 1080i.

Hope this helps.

ashore

Novice Member
Hi everyone, I'm an X900E (49" and 55") owner in the US. I only recently became aware of this frame repeat/drop issue and it now bothers me constantly.

I tried the "A/V Sync: On" fix on my 49" two weeks ago, and it worked -- at first. However, I discovered that the problem eventually came back over the following days. Has anyone else experienced the A/V Sync fix to stop working after a period of time?

Unplugging the TV seemed to restore the fix, but now I am no longer confident that this will be a long-term solution.

I'm seriously considering just getting new TVs. Can anyone confirm: is it true that the X900F/XF90 is entirely free of this problem? Is it a safe assumption that the new X950G/XG95 will be okay as well?

Thanks.

Hi everyone, I'm an X900E (49" and 55") owner in the US. I only recently became aware of this frame repeat/drop issue and it now bothers me constantly.

I tried the "A/V Sync: On" fix on my 49" two weeks ago, and it worked -- at first. However, I discovered that the problem eventually came back over the following days. Has anyone else experienced the A/V Sync fix to stop working after a period of time?

Unplugging the TV seemed to restore the fix, but now I am no longer confident that this will be a long-term solution.

I'm seriously considering just getting new TVs. Can anyone confirm: is it true that the X900F/XF90 is entirely free of this problem? Is it a safe assumption that the new X950G/XG95 will be okay as well?

Thanks.

Have you recently upgraded to Oreo? I did, and found that the frame repeats had returned (to live sport) even though my A/V Sync setting was still set to 'On'. Someone suggested changing the setting to 'Auto' then back to 'On' but that didn't fix it. Eventually I tried setting it to 'Auto', restarting the TV, then setting it to 'On' and restarting again. I'm please to say that so far this seems to have worked.

Regarding the XF/XG. Certainly no reports of frame repeats with the XF series. The XG isn't out yet but I can't imagine there will be be frame repeat issues.

Last edited:

ashore

Novice Member
Have you recently upgraded to Oreo? I did, and found that the frame repeats had returned (to live sport) even though my A/V Sync setting was still set to 'On'. Someone suggested changing the setting to 'Auto' then back to 'On' but that didn't fix it. Eventually I tried setting it to 'Auto', restarting the TV, then setting it to 'On' and restarting again. I'm please to say that so far this seems to have worked.
I haven't done the Oreo update yet. The problem seemed to come back just through normal daily use.

I had the same experience where changing A/V Sync to Auto or Off and then back to On didn't work by itself. Restarting the TV does seem to be the only way to get the fix working again.

Regarding the XF/XG. Certainly no reports of frame repeats with the XF series. The XG isn't out yet but I can't imagine there will be be frame repeat issues.
Thanks, that is reassuring.

I contacted Sony and provided videos of this issue. And they exchanged my tv for the Xf model.
I'm glad to hear Sony will exchange for this issue. I have an extended Best Buy warranty, so I'll try through them first.

Stinger69

V Sync: On" fix on my 49" two weeks ago, and it worked -- at first. However, I discovered that the problem eventually came back over the following days. Has anyone else experienced the A/V Sync fix to stop working after a period of time?

Have you tried switching to game mode? In the back of my mind I thought I'd read somewhere that worked. It may disable some processing though.

Andy

ashore

Novice Member
You're right: I did try Game mode, and it does fix the frame glitches on native 60i content. But the reduced processing is really noticeable for broadcasts, especially the lack of 3:2 judder removal for 24p content encoded as 60i/p.

Stinger69

You're right: I did try Game mode, and it does fix the frame glitches on native 60i content. But the reduced processing is really noticeable for broadcasts, especially the lack of 3:2 judder removal for 24p content encoded as 60i/p.

Ah, that's annoying.

Andy

babator

If you did not update to Oreo yet, the Photo picture modes may provide a bit better processing and still have no frame glitches. Photo-Custom was the best out of the box if I remember.

No guarantees that you will see an improvement, just one possibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components