Sony xe80 or xe90 (49inch)

Wahwahwhammybar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Is the sony xe90 a lot better than the xe80?
And are there any better 49 in TVs for under £1250?

Thanks

-1) Yes it's,

-2) The Sony 49XE90 is the best 49" TV under the £ 1250, IMHO.

The XE90 is a massive upgrade on the XE80. VA panel, full array local dimming, 900 nits peak brightness. No contest.

Fo 55 if you can for £1299
Your eyes will thank you !!!
Simple price match with power direct and jl. Some promotion available too (currys and Sevenoaks hifi)

Was looking for this exact discussion. xe80 is £650, xe90 is £1200
Really tough to figure out if the xe90 differences are worth the extra £500+

Was looking for this exact discussion. xe80 is £650, xe90 is £1200
Really tough to figure out if the xe90 differences are worth the extra £500+

The XE90 is a big upgrade but may not be worth it for your usage. Given that the XE80 uses an IPS panel there will likely be a better TV for similar money for most people. Answer the following questions: What will you use the TV for? Will it be used in a dark room? Are wide viewing angles important to you?

The XE90 is a big upgrade but may not be worth it for your usage. Given that the XE80 uses an IPS panel there will likely be a better TV for similar money for most people. Answer the following questions: What will you use the TV for? Will it be used in a dark room? Are wide viewing angles important to you?
That's exactly my concern - it's going to be in the main room of the house which also has an open kitchen and a pc desk, so viewing angle is the only thing which is stopping me from pulling the trigger on the xe90.
The room is very bright, and the TV will mostly be used for netflix, and video files played from PC/NAS server, older generation gaming (not 4k sky tv, ps4 etc... at the moment). I like the xe90 for the 100hz refresh rate and the picture quality (possibly the full backlight dimming), but I'm wondering if it's all overkill for me and the IPS of the xe80 will be better.

I'm sure my local John Lewis has them side by side so I'll try to see what I can notice! Any advice what to look out for? Thanks for the reply!

But what kind of viewing angles @SCOTTBALL if you are talking only a 60 degree cone from the centre of the screen then you are probably fine with a VA panel.

If you want more you are looking at IPS.

If you need more than a 80-100 degrees you are looking at only OLED/Plasma...although at this angle IPS LCDs will look a lot better than VA type, even if they do have some degradation.

Your room is bright but what about at night? Do you like to have the lights switched off and watch? Do you always have the main light on or a lamp on?

You aren't restricted to only Sony are you?

Thank's for the angle estimates, i'll definitely take this into consideration - as well as the evening/night time lighting.

You aren't restricted to only Sony are you?
Asides from generally liking the quality of Sony TV's, the real reason I like the Sony sets is the Android TV OS works with all the stuff I have, and has many apps (like VLC player) that help me watch a lot of older subtitled TV series/films I have on my PC. Of course, open to other suggestions :)

Still don't really the viewing angles you need or whether you view in the dark or not which makes it hard to recommend TVs. btw I really wouldn't factor in smart TV when making a decision, whilst it may be a Sony TV is best for you, if it happens to come with a smart TV platform you like, so be it, but its not usually the most important factor when buying for most people, especially when there is already so much to consider when it comes to the actual performance of the TVs picture quality itself.

Plus you can just get a fire TV or nvidia shield if you want android TV and just run SPMC on it anyway.

Anybody knows a website to see a good comparison between the two models Sony KDXE9005 (1) and Sony KDXE8096 (2)?

I understand that (1) has VA technology against the IPS of (2). I know that (1) has 1000Mhz of MotionFlow against the 400Mhz of (2). But... there is something more that (1) would be clearly better than (2)? For Black Friday I've taken the (2) 350€ cheapier than (1). I suppose that the change to of xe80 to xe90 it won't be necessary. What do you think?

Thanks!

Apart from panel type the main difference is in the TVs HDR capabilities. The XE90 gets a lot brighter and has local dimming whilst the XE80 doesn't have high peak brightness for HDR and has no local dimming at all.

What size are you looking at?

49 inch will be the exactly size (it cannot be bigger for the space of the room. Now we have a TV with this size and it is amazing, incredible and enormous). So, for 300€ more (this the difference aprox between this two models in my city), you will recommend xe90?

If the TV is brighter is it better? I have seen (I don't know if this is true) is that Xe80 uses IPS and Xe90 uses VA, but I don't care the technology because I'm noob for that. Just looking for the best quality for watching films and playing videogames with PS4 (i.e. image quality or sound). For your response I understand that Xe90 has something better than Xe80 (in terms of brightness and local dimming), but I cannot see if it is relevant or not for that. I will try to find the properties you comment on the internet as well.

Thank you very much Dodgexander!

PD: The exact models offered are: xe8096 and xe9005

I don't know how you will use the TV and whether you have any HDR sources or not. If you want decent HDR for HDR games you will need the XE90.

Sound is poor on all flat screens.

If you don't want decent HDR you will likely be happy with a much cheaper model like the Samsung 50MU6100 or similar.

Yes, for HDR games and HDR movies. I was checking other TVs of 49 inch and I have found these ones:
- Samsung UE49MU9005
- Samsung QE49Q7F

What is better? Sony Xe90 or the previous ones?

Thanks.

I've seen that "QE49Q7F" is QLED, and Sony is "Direct-Led", which will the best candidates from the list. QLED will not means better quality of image and brightness against the others?

I prefer SonyXe90 because it has Android which I think is better to interact with the applications of my mobile and, of course, I've seen that has an incredible quality image.

In terms of comparison I've seen these references:
Samsung Q7 vs Sony XE9005 | Analisis TV LED
Comparación entre: 48.5" Sony KD-49XE9005, 48.5" Samsung QE49Q7F, 48.5" Samsung QE49Q7C, 49.5" Panasonic TX-50EX750B

and well, it's not clear. Maybe the Interpolation is higher in Samsung (3100 vs 1000, but different metrics), but it should be not very important, right?. Samsung is more expensive, so this is also a good option to get the Sony!

Some deterministic points to get one or the other? :)

QLED will not means better quality of image and brightness against the others?
No, it has a slight advantage compared to the Sony representing colour at a wider range of brightness but the Sony gets just as bright, if not brighter in fact. The key here though is local dimming. The Samsung has ineffective local dimming whilst the Sony does not.

I prefer SonyXe90 because it has Android which I think is better to interact with the applications of my mobile and, of course, I've seen that has an incredible quality image.
I wouldn't worry so much about interaction, you can cast to any TV. Android TV certainly is the most functional with more customisation and apps but its also the slowest and less intuitive. Nonetheless I wouldn't even start to think about smart TV when purchasing as its likely you'll end up wanting an external solution anyway.

and well, it's not clear. Maybe the Interpolation is higher in Samsung (3100 vs 1000, but different metrics), but it should be not very important, right?. Samsung is more expensive, so this is also a good option to get the Sony!
Don't get confused by misleading specifications. PQI or the hz they make up for interpolation means nothing. The only thing that is important to you is the hz of the panel. Both TVs have adequate motion enhancements if you use them as both use 120hz panels.

Is there any reason you are looking at motion enhancements? Do you like to use a lot of them? Most people keep them turned off.

Is there any reason you are looking at motion enhancements? Do you like to use a lot of them? Most people keep them turned off.

haha ok. Just for making the comparison between numbers that I don't know exactly what they mean. If it is only necessary to consider the Hz of the panel for this interpolation improvement (which I see in some videos should improve the image quality, but maybe not too much if the people keep them turned off), that's fantastic to consider only Sony.
Motion interpolation - Wikipedia

My older TV doesn't have these properties so I cannot be evaluate properly. I will check it in the future when I use it.

Thanks for the kindness.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom