Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Question Sony xd8077 upgrade to Sony xe9005 - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by plex, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I recently upgraded my tv from a 2016 Sony xd8077 43” va panel to a 2017 sony xe9005 49” va panel. I did this as I wanted a bigger tv and better / hdr performance.

I’m very happy with the overall picture quality / hdr performance of the xe9005 which feels like an upgrade.

The problem is I'm not very happy with the motion performance. I can see judder on panning scenes via netflix / amazon movies and motion blur on freeview hd channels which I couldn't see on the xd8077 (I used to run the xd8077 with all picture processing / motion settings off).

To my eyes the motion performance on the xe9005 seems like a downgrade compared to the xd8077. I've tried lots of different picture / motion settings on xe9005 without much improvement. I expected at least similar motion performance to the xd8077 from all the reviews I've read.

Now I wish I could just go back to the xd8077 but I've already passed it onto a family member.

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative va panel tv which has good motion performance under £1000? I would love to try the xe9305 but it's over budget at the moment and is a little too big at 55".

2. bestseany

bestseany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had this exact same issue. The only real solution is an OLED.

3. Stuflo

Stuflo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi.
    I’m came from a 49” XD8077 to the 49” XE9005 in the couple of days myself. I totally agree that the picture quality is an absolute improvement with inky blacks and vibrant colour. In respect of the motion quality I have seen little evidence of motion blur. Don’t forget that the panel is a 120hz over the 8077’s 60hz screen so motion blur should be far less. In respect of judder. I may have seen it a couple of times but not consistently only the odd frame every so often. I feel that the picture quality far outweighs the odd frame judder. I use mine for amazon/Netflix. Ps4 and having 2 toddlers, HD CBeebies. :). I must say I have had Sony TVs since my original favourite the 42w829 which had a gorgeous picture but was 1080p. Then a 49xc8307 which had horribly inconsistent backlight but great motion. I really like the soap opera effect on everything but movies. The 49xd8077 had decent picture and acceptable motion but sadly failed. The 49XE9005 has great picture consistent backlight and acceptable motion not really any better than the XD8077 but certainly no worse. Feel free to ask me any questions.

4. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you both for replying.

Stuflo remember that the 49” XD8077 is an ips panel so not really the same as the 43” XD8077 which is va panel but was as you say only 60hz compared to the xe9005.

It could just be that the 43” XD8077 panel was just really good at motion. It could have also been helped by the screen size being a little smaller at 43" so my eyes not noticing the judder / blur as much.

Currently oled's are out of my budget but i've also seen people complaining about motion problems on certain oled's too.

Really wish I didn't upgrade now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,520
    When you upgrade to a larger screen you are also more likely to spot issues more with motion. Having said that, the XE90, like most TVs does have its fair share of motion issues. In this case it may be the frame repeats that you are spotting which some people notice with this model.

Alternatives? Probably the Samsung Q7, but its mostly not as good as the Sony XE90 overall and it does also have Samsung micro stutter, which is again similar to the frame repeat issues with the XE90...whether you will notice them the same I am not sure, many people own both TVs without a single complaint with motion.

Often the problem isn't to do with the panel refresh rate itself, but the TVs ability to discern (or to not in this case) the correct input format. TVs that use 120hz panels use software to scan the source frame rate irrespective of the input hz in an attempt to display content correctly, its this technology that often leads to mistakes and mishaps in detection causing stutter/judder.

Another key thing to think about is the sources you use when seeing the blur or judder and the settings you use on the TV. One tv may work better than another with the same source (for example the 2015 Sony's had a problem with judder with Sky).

6. Stuflo

Stuflo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Fair play. Missed you had 43” 8077 which your right is VA and IPS does perform differently. It is true imperfections are far more noticeable at bigger sizes. I had the same regret of upgrading from my 42w829 to the 49x8307. Like you said the imperfections were so much more noticeable. But once I was used the increased size I stopped noticing the flaws so much. “No Tv is perfect” is important to remember. I would love an OLED and it’s not budget holding me back but size. My TV is in the corner of the room and a 55” would not fit. I am also concerned with reports of OLED screen burn and non uniform pixel degrading.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,520
    Coming from a 42" plasma to a 65" LCD was quite a big shock for me when it comes to judder. It took a while for me to get used to it but some content I find I have to watch with a bit of interpolation. If its not a film I usually turn interpolation to 3 steps and its good enough.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the OLED horror stories, its no different to how it was with Plasma TVs and they didn't turn out to be too shabby did they.

8. bestseany

bestseany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ramping up all of the motion processing on the Sony does eliminate the judder and blur, but then you get artefacts and SOE.

I got rid of most of it (but not all) and avoided SOE by using these motion settings on my XE85:
    Motionflow: custom
    Smoothness: maximum
    Clearness: 1
    Film mode: low

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you all for the info. I'm going to have another play around with the setting and run the tv for a week or so and then see how I feel.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    beastseany, I forgot to ask how do you think the judder and blur compare between the XE90 and the XE85?

Dodgexander because of the above do you think it's a possibility I might actually prefer one of the 2017 sony tv's with a 60hz panel? or even one of the 50" va panels from another manufacturer?

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,520
    You may, its hard to say because one mans smooth is another judder. Problem is 60hz models don't have good HDR capabilities.

12. bestseany

bestseany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They were pretty much the same.

I put up with it easier on the XE85 as it was half the price.