Sony XBR85X950G screen/display issues

Angryblue333

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, someone here can be of more help than Sony's "customer service" has been. I have a two year old 85" 950G that has what I believe to be a failing/failed panel. Based on videos sent to our local Sony repair shop confirmed my suspicion. However, since Sony has said that my two year old television(26 months since manufacture date, 25 since purchase and delivery) is nothing but a useless mass of plastic and PCBs and that they don't care about customer support, I was hoping maybe I could get a second opinion on the symptoms it is displaying. I have included a still picture, showing the screen shifting up approximately two inches, leaving white lines at the bottom and ghosting/double images of anything on the screen. This cycles approximately every two seconds, to include the Android logo displayed upon bootup. All inputs have been removed, TV has been factory reset, and it has been power cycled numerous times with no change. Any help anyone could provide would be great. Thanks for reading my rant.

Attachments

• 20210614_101538.jpg
    20210614_101538.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 110
Hopefully, someone here can be of more help than Sony's "customer service" has been. I have a two year old 85" 950G that has what I believe to be a failing/failed panel. Based on videos sent to our local Sony repair shop confirmed my suspicion. However, since Sony has said that my two year old television(26 months since manufacture date, 25 since purchase and delivery) is nothing but a useless mass of plastic and PCBs and that they don't care about customer support, I was hoping maybe I could get a second opinion on the symptoms it is displaying. I have included a still picture, showing the screen shifting up approximately two inches, leaving white lines at the bottom and ghosting/double images of anything on the screen. This cycles approximately every two seconds, to include the Android logo displayed upon bootup. All inputs have been removed, TV has been factory reset, and it has been power cycled numerous times with no change. Any help anyone could provide would be great. Thanks for reading my rant.
I presume you've tested your HDMI cables are not faulty? If you have then that definitely looks like a fault. Do you have a warranty?

I should have went further in depth as to my troubleshooting. Unit has been power cycled multiple times, all inputs removed and set back to factory default. Symptoms occur even on the Android screen during boot up. Unfortunately, I did not purchase an extended warranty, as I figured if I got 4 or 5 years out of this tv I would be ready to upgrade, anyway. After two years, I'm not quite ready to do so.

While I understand Sony has no legal obligation to provide any type of support, it seems to be poor customer service to not provide SOMETHING on a TV that is only two years and one month old. This tv has been plugged into a UPS/Surge suppressor since the first time I plugged it in, and care has been taken to remove any input into the television during severe thunderstorms.

I should have went further in depth as to my troubleshooting. Unit has been power cycled multiple times, all inputs removed and set back to factory default. Symptoms occur even on the Android screen during boot up. Unfortunately, I did not purchase an extended warranty, as I figured if I got 4 or 5 years out of this tv I would be ready to upgrade, anyway. After two years, I'm not quite ready to do so.

While I understand Sony has no legal obligation to provide any type of support, it seems to be poor customer service to not provide SOMETHING on a TV that is only two years and one month old. This tv has been plugged into a UPS/Surge suppressor since the first time I plugged it in, and care has been taken to remove any input into the television during severe thunderstorms.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there isn't much good will around these days if you don't have a warranty in place and having had numerous warranty replacements over the years I always get a 5-6 year warranty. Things just don't seem to be built to last. It does sound like your's has a serious fault.

It is pretty sad that anyone who purchases a television, really anything, that isn't cheap enough to just be a throwaway item has to purchase a third-party warranty because manufacturers refuse to stand behind their products. Like I said, if it had made it four or five years I would have been upset, but not really, as it would have been time to upgrade to something better. I'll be purchasing extended warranties from now on, however.

It is pretty sad that anyone who purchases a television, really anything, that isn't cheap enough to just be a throwaway item has to purchase a third-party warranty because manufacturers refuse to stand behind their products. Like I said, if it had made it four or five years I would have been upset, but not really, as it would have been time to upgrade to something better. I'll be purchasing extended warranties from now on, however.

We're pretty lucky in the UK as the good retailers tend to give a 5 or even 6 year warranty as standard with Sony televisions. I hope you get sorted you've been unlucky that it only lasted a couple of years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom